People have a habit of forgetting their passwords whether it is relevant to their email account or Windows login account. It becomes pretty hard when a password is forgotten as access to that particular account is restricted. Windows 7 has a better cure for this and almost 99% of people don’t know about it.
And the most interesting thing, it is quite easy as it would take not more than 15 minutes to unlock the world you got banned from.
So, the password can be reset without using any third-party application.
Things You Will Need:
For the purpose of resetting Windows 7 password, you would need a Windows 7 PC (that’s must) as well as a Windows 7 System Repair Disk. Probably, you won’t be having a system repair disk. So, in order to create this disk, you need to have a CD/DVD or you can also use USB. You can follow these steps to create a repair disk.
- Go to Control panel and select System and Maintenance. Click on Backup and Restore
- Right on the left pane, click on Create a system repair disk. A new Window will pop-up with a drive selection Select the drive where you want to create the repair disk and press on Create disc button.
Solution to Reset Windows 7 Password:
Follow this simple solution accordingly to reset the password on Windows 7.
1. After creating the System Repair disk or USB from the wizard listed above, restart your PC using System Repair Disk and press any key when prompted. This will boot to an Install Windows from where you can select System Recovery Options.
2. Click on the Next button and at the Choose a Recovery Tool Window; select Command Prompt located at the bottom. It will open up command prompt.
3. Inside command prompt, type the following line of code followed by the Enter
copy c:windowssystem32sethc.exe c:\
4. After hitting Enter key, type the following code to overwrite the existing password. Hit Enter key again and when prompted to overwrite, Type Yes followed by Enter
copy c:windowssystem32cmd.exe c:windowssystem32sethc.exe
5. Now, close the command prompt and restart your PC. On the logon screen of Windows 7, press Shift key 5 times and you will see a command window being popped-up. Type the following command to create a new password.
net user (type the name of the account) (Type any password)
You can see the example in the picture below.
6. Hit Enter key and when prompted for overwrite, type Yes inside command prompt and press Enter again. Now, you can login to the Windows using the new password you set at the same moment.
7. It would log you into Windows 7 successfully. But, there is still one thing left i.e. put the original file back in place. For this purpose, reboot your PC using the System Repair Disk again and inside Command Prompt, type the following code. Press Enter key after typing.
copy c:sethc.exe c:windowssystem32sethc.exe
If prompted for overwrite, type Yes and exit command prompt. Restart your PC again and you are done with it.