Google Discover may stop working if your Google Account isn’t functioning properly due to server outages or misconfiguration in your Google app. This issue can also arise if your device faces minor bugs and glitches, which can be easily resolved by restarting your device.
How can I fix the ‘Google Discover Not Working’ issue?
We have tried and tested multiple solutions below, which you can follow and check to see if these fixes resolve your issue.
1. Reboot Your Android Phone
When Google Discover stops working on your Android phone, the first and easiest thing to do is reboot your phone. This will immediately fix minor glitches on your phone, and Discover should start working again. It takes just a single step to reboot your phone.
- Hold the Power Button on your android-based phone and select the Reboot option from the menu.
- When the phone Reboots, find out if the Discover feed starts working.
2. Clear the data and cache.
Similarly, you can also try to clear the data and cache for the Google app to resolve the issue of Google Discover not working.
Here are the steps to clear data and cache:
- Tap the “Settings” option on your Android phone and go to “Apps” or it could be “Apps & Notifications” for some users.
- Tap ‘Manage Apps‘ and then open the Google app as the next step.
- Click the Storage button on the Google app and hit Clear data.
- Similarly, open the Google Play Services app in the Apps list and select Clear Data.
3. Log out and then log in to your Google account again.
As this issue can be related to your account, logging out and then logging back into your Google account may fix this issue, as it clears the outdated cache and cookies from your device.
Here are the steps to do that:
- Go to the Google app on your android device.
- Tap the profile picture that appears in the top right corner of your Google Discover.
- Press the downward arrow shown next to your Google account.
- Choose the option Use without an Account.
- Again Log-in to your Google account and refresh the feed.
4. Uninstall the Updates on your Google app
The faulty app updates can also cause the Discover feed not to function properly. Therefore, we can always uninstall the Google app updates in order to fix the Google Discover not working issue. Please note that you can always reinstall app updates after uninstalling them.
Here’s exactly what you need to do to uninstall the Google app updates on your phone:
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Select Apps on the menu and tap Manage apps.
- Open the Google app from the list and select ‘Uninstall updates‘ at the bottom of your screen.
- Once you have tapped “Uninstall Updates,” press “OK” in the prompt to do so.
After you have followed the above steps, proceed to the Google Discover feed and explore the articles and stories that interest you.
5. Enable the Discover Option in the Google App.
If you’re seeing a blank screen on the Google feed, it is probably due to the Discover feed not being enabled in the app. Therefore, it is important to ensure that Discover is enabled so that the feed will work smoothly.
- To check whether it is enabled or not, go to the Settings page on your Google app.
- Choose General in the Menu.
- Once you have selected ‘General,’ press the toggle next to ‘Discover.’ If it’s already ON, turn it OFF and enable it again. By doing so, you will be able to see if the feed works.
6. Add Another Google Account (Secondary Account)
There is also another way to resolve the “Google Discover not working” issue, which involves adding an additional Google account to your Android phone because using the primary account sometimes causes problems with the functioning of Google Discover.
Simply plugging in another Google account has been proven to help you, which can be easily done using the following steps:
- Go to the Google app and tap on the profile picture in the top-right corner of the phone’s screen.
- Tap the downward arrow next to your main Google account.
- Then, select “Add another account” and use your other account details.
- Refresh the Google Discover feed on your phone and you will be able to see the feed from across the world.
7. Reset the app preferences on your Android phone.
If none of the above fixes work for you, it’s worth resetting the app preferences on your Android phone. If any of the settings are interfering with the Google app settings, doing so will fix the issue
Please keep in mind that it will not remove any data from your phone; it will just reset the settings to normal.
To reset app preferences, please follow the steps below:
- Tap Settings on your phone and choose Apps.
- Then, select ‘Manage Apps‘ and click on the three-dot icon in the right corner of the screen.
- Select ‘Reset App Preferences‘, and the prompt will open.
- Choose ‘Reset Apps‘ from the prompt that opens to reset app preferences.
- Reboot the Android phone and determine whether the “Google Discover not working” issue has been resolved.