Far Cry 6 is one of the most hyped-up games of 2021 has finally launched unfortunately however not without its fair share of issues as many players on PC are already struggling to boot up the game without experiencing constant crashes on startup.
These issues are very likely caused because either the graphic drivers are out of date and aren’t supporting the latest render libraries in Far Cry 6 or the installation files are corrupt. This may also be caused by the lack of administrative privileges if you are trying to install the game on a Standard user account. Luckily many of these potential problems have easy fixes which will be detailed throughout this article.
Reasons for Far Cry 6 Crashing on startup, Failure to launch
- Lacking Admin Privilege’s – Sometimes background apps will interfere with the game’s boot, meaning without sufficient permissions the game will be unable to boot.
- Missing or Corrupted Files during installation – One of the most common causes of CTD stems from missing or corrupted files during the installation of the game
- Outdated Windows – An outdated version of our OS can also lead to compatibility issues quite commonly failing to launch or crash at startup.
- Out-Dated Graphics Drivers – Outdated graphic drivers commonly lead to a plethora of issues such as graphics not loading and also crashes. Thus, ensuring respective GPU drivers are up to date is crucial.
- Firewalls and any Third-Party anti-virus software’s – Many Third-party anti-virus software’s, as well as windows’ firewalls and antivirus systems, can quarantine the game’s executables and other programs essential for boot operation thus failing to launch.
Now that we have isolated the potential causes, we can now begin practicing their respective solutions to finally stop the cursed crashes.
Run as an administrator
In order to counteract this potential issue, we will need to navigate to our Far Cry 6 game directory.
- On Epic games the default game library location is “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\“
- On Uplay you can click on “Properties” under Far Cry 6 in your game library which will show you the game’s path location.
- After locating the path of the game, press Windows Key + R and key in the game’s path to get to the main directory
- Finally, right-click “FarCry6.exe” and click “Run as administrator”
Missing or Corrupted Files During Installation
This is a widespread occurrence that plagues many gamers. However, there is an effortless way to check and redownload missing files. Verifying game integrity varies slightly depending on what client you have downloaded the game on.
For Epic Games Launcher
- Navigate to your game’s library and Locate Far Cry 6
- and click on the 3 dots on the bottom right to open settings, from there click on Verify
Epic Games will then start verifying game files and, if needed, will download/replace missing or corrupted files. After the verifying process is completed, Launch the game to see if it still crashes…
- Navigate to your games Library
- At the bottom right of your games click on More Actions and then navigate to Verify FilesVery File integrity from U-Play
- Uplay will then begin verifying game files and redownload any missing or corrupted game files if necessary, after which you can launch the game and check if it crashes or not.
Update your Windows
Having an outdated OS can cause a lot of compatibility issues which could be the root cause of the crashes. Additionally, Far Cry 6 has Windows 10 64-bit (20H1) or better as a minimum requirement otherwise it can’t run.
Thus, having up-to-date windows at least build (20H1) is crucial for preventing crashes to desktops.
If you are unsure what version of windows you currently have you can simply Check by following these simple steps
- Navigate to Windows settings by Pressing “CTRL+ESC” and typing settings in the search or bar or by simply pressing “Windows Key + I”.
- Then through the settings app navigate to “Updates and Security”
- From there, click on “Windows Updates” on the left sidebar, then click on “Check for Updates”
- If any update is available Windows will notify you and install the updates on your system.
- After the updates have been successfully installed launch the game again to see if it fixed the issue.
Update your Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers can be the prime cause for crashes on startup as well as a plethora of other issues related to loading of graphics, thus updating your GPU drivers is essential, luckily both Nvidia and AMD released a day one patch for Far Cry 6 which increases performance and also fixes issues which could be potential causes for crashing.
Installing Updated Graphics Drivers
To update our drivers, we first need to determine the manufacturer of our system’s drivers which we can be done by. Now that we know the manufacturer of our systems, we can proceed with updating the graphics drivers. By going to the websites of your respective manufacturer you can download the latest available drivers. The best way to install drivers is to first uninstall the drivers, this can be done by
- Searching and opening “Device Manager” In the start menu
- Navigating to Display Adapters and uninstalling your graphics drivers
- Afterward, download and install the latest drivers
- Finally, launch Far Cry 6 to see if it fixed the crashing
Windows Firewall and Third-Party Antiviruses
Third-party antivirus software and even windows’ own firewalls and antivirus systems may be the reason Far Cry 6 not starting up or crashing on startup. There are two ways to fix this issue: to outright disable windows firewalls & any Third-party antivirus systems. For those who aren’t willing to compromise their security, they can create an exception in their windows firewalls for “Far Cry 6.exe“, “Epic Games,” and “Ubisoft Connect”
- To disable windows firewall, search and open “Windows Security” in the start menu
- From there navigate to “Firewall & Network Protection”
- Then Click on Allow an App through Firewall
- Locate “Far Cry 6.exe” and “Epic Games” or “Ubisoft Connect“, and allow them access through the checkboxes.
For Third-Party Antivirus Softwares
Similarly, if you choose not to outright disable Third-Party Anti-virus software’s you will have to navigate through them and white list “Far Cry 6.exe” and “Epic Games” or “Ubisoft Connect“.
Once you have either disabled firewalls and antivirus or created exceptions for “Far Cry 6.exe” and “Epic Games” or “Ubisoft Connect,” you can then attempt to launch Far Cry 6 to see if it crashes or not.