Some Windows users are encountering a Fatal Error Message every time they attempt to open up Daganronpa V3 on their Windows computer. This issue seems to be exclusive to PC and is confirmed to occur on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
After investigating this particular issue thoroughly, it turns out that there are several different causes that might end up triggering this particular error code. Here’s a shortlist of potential culprits:
- GPU glitch – As it turns out, one of the most common causes that will cause this error is a GPU glitch that causes your dedicated GPU to not be used by the game. If this scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the problem by temporarily disabling the dedicated GPU from Device Manager before enabling it back.
- Missing Direct X redistributable pack – According to some affected users, this fatal error can also occur if your computer is missing a key DirectX dependency that the games rely on. In this case, you should be able to fix the problem by using the DirectX End-User Runtime Web installer to install every missing dependency.
- The game tries to run on integrated GPU – Due to the way the game is built, some dual-GPU setups (most commonly laptops) will choose to utilize the integrated GPU instead of the dedicated option which will cause the crash. You can fix this problem either by disabling the integrated GPU while playing the game ore by configuring the game’s executable to use the dedicated GPU.
- GPU doesn’t support DirectX 11 – As it turns out, the game is not very good to determine whether your system supports DirectX 11 or not. If the problem occurs due to the fact that your GPU doesn’t support DirectX 11, you can avoid the fatal error by using dxcpl.exe to avoid the usage of DirectX 11 by Daganronpa V3.
Method 1: Re-enabling Dedicated GPU
According to some affected, they managed to fix this issue by temporarily deactivating the main GPU that’s being used when running the game. This is typically confirmed to be effective in situations where the game is started on a dual GPU setup.
Fortunately, some affected users have managed to fix the issue by utilizing the Device Manager utility to temporarily disable the dedicated GPU card that’s used to render the game.
If you don’t know how to do this, follow the instructions below to open up Device Manager and temporarily disabling your GPU card to fix the fatal error with the Daganronpa V3 game:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Next, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ inside the text box and press Enter to open up Device Manager.
Note: When you’re prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), click Yes to grant admin access.
- Once you’re inside the Device Manager, scroll down through the list of devices and expand the drop-down menu associated with Display Adapters.
- Next, locate the GPU that is used for demanding tasks (if you have a double-GPU setup), right-click on it, and choose Disable Device from the context menu.
- After you’ve successfully disabled your dedicated GPU, enable it right back and close Device Manager.
- Open Daganronpa V3 once again and see if the problem is now fixed.
If the same problem is still occurring as you’re trying, move down to the next potential fix below.
Method 2: Installing the missing DirectX Redist
According to some affected users, this problem might also occur if the game is missing a key dependency in order to initialize it. This happens because even though the games utilize DLL dependencies from multiple DirectX redistributable packs, it doesn’t include all of them with the installation of the game.
If this scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the problem by running the DirectX End-User Runtime Web installer to install every missing DirectX package and make the required DLL dependencies available to Daganronpa V3.
Follow the instructions below to update your local Directx installation with the missing redist packages using the DirectX End-User Runtime Web installer:
- Open any browser on your Windows computer and navigate to the download page of the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
- Once you’re on the correct page, click on Download and wait for the process to initiate.
- At the next screen, uncheck every bloatware that Microsoft tries to push, then click on No thanks and continue with DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer button.
- Wait until the dxwebsetup.exe is successfully downloaded, then double-click on it and follow the instructions to update your local DirectX installation with every missing package.
- Wait until the utility installs every missing DirectX pack, then restart your computer once the operation is complete.
- After the next startup is complete, attempt to launch Danganronpa V3 once again and see if the problem is now fixed.
In case you still end up seeing the same fatal error when you try to launch the game, move down to the next potential fix below.
Method 3: Force the game to run on Dedicated GPU (if applicable)
As it turns out, this fatal error when opening Danganronpa V3 is quite common in instances where the user attempts to play the game on a dual graphics card setup. For some weird reason, when it has the option to choose the GPU, the game often opts for the integrated GPU which is likely not strong enough to render the game (which triggers the crash).
If this scenario is applicable to your current situation and you’re using an Nvidia GPU, you should be able to prevent the crash from occurring by modifying the main game’s executable to utilize the dedicated GPU.
When it comes to doing this, you can proceed in 2 different ways:
- You can modify the default behavior for the main game’s executable so that it’s forced to use the dedicated GPU.
- You can disable the integrated GPU from Device Manager in order to force your system to always utilize the more powerful GPU.
Depending on which strategy you want to enforce, follow sub-guide A or sub-guide B:
A. Configuring Danganronpa V3 to run on Dedicated GPU
- Open This PC (My Computer on older Windows version) and navigate to the location where you’ve previously installed the game.
Note: If you brought the game through Steam, the default location is:
Steam / SteamApps / common / Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- Once you arrive at the correct location, look for the main game’s executable (Dangan3Win).
- After you manage to locate the correct executable, right-click on the game’s executable and click on Run with Graphics Processor. Then, from the list of available graphics processors, choose your dedicated GPU (High-performance NVIDIA processor).
- See if the game launches without the same fatal error now that you’ve configured it to run with the dedicated GPU and consider making it the default choice (by clicking on Change Default graphics processor) in case the operation is successful.
B. Disabling the Dedicated GPU
- Open up a Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R. Next, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ inside the text box and press Enter to open up Device Manager. If you’re prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), click Yes to grant admin access.
- Once you’re finally inside Device Manager, go ahead and expand the drop-down menu associated with Display Adapters.
- From the Display Adapters drop-down menu, right-click on your integrated GPU and choose Disable Device from the newly appeared context menu.
- Now that the integrated GPU has been disabled, launch Danganronpa V3, and see if the problem is now fixed.
If the problem is still not fixed, move down to the final potential fix below.
Method 4: Avoiding the use of DirectX 11
As it turns out, this problem can also occur if your GPU doesn’t have DX11 support. In this case, you should be able to fix the problem by configuring your local DirectX installation to accept the use of DirectX 10 when rendering the game.
There are a lot of affected users that manage to fix the Fatal error with Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony by using dxcpl.exe to change the DirectX scope of the game so that DirectX 10 is always used.
To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Search for dxcpl.exe using the search function on your Windows computer. If you don’t have it, you’ll need to download and install the DirectX Software Development Kit from the official Microsoft page.
- Once you’re on the correct page, click on Download and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the download operation.
- After the download is complete, double-click on the executable that you’ve just downloaded and followed the on-screen prompts to install the Direct X Software Development Kit on your computer.
- Once the download is complete, open dxcpl.exe and click on the Add button. Next, go ahead and add the main game executable Dagan3Win.exe.
- After the executable is added successfully, go to the Scope tab and change the drop-down menu of Device Settings to 10 and enable the checkboxes associated with Force Warp and Disable Feature Level Upgrade before clicking Apply.
- Launch the game conventionally and see if the problem is now fixed.