A lot of Back 4 Blood players have encountered a sign-in error when trying to play the game. They can’t get past the main screen and get inside the game because the ‘Connection to the Profile Service cannot be established’ error is only leaving them with the option to try again. This error has been encountered on PC, as well as consoles like Xbox and PlayStation.
After a lot of affected players have complained about this error, we’ve done an in-depth investigation of this error and come up with a shortlist of all the possible causes that might trigger this error:
- Ongoing server issues – One of the most common causes for this Back 4 Blood issue is the server potentially being under maintenance. If that is the case and the game really goes through some problems and changes are being made by the developers, the only thing you can do is to patiently wait until they fix this problem. To make sure if this is the cause for the error, you can always check the Twitter official page of this game, and you should also check the network status for your specific platform.
- Simple error happening to your game – Another cause for this sign-in issue might be a simple error or bug that is happening to your game, not letting you go further than the first screen. If that is the case, you won’t be able to sign in and play the game until your reset not only the game but the console as well. Perform a hard reset of your specific console and wait until the console restarts properly, then you can see if the sign-in issue is now fixed.
- Interfering Alternate MAC Address – In case you’ve changed in the past the MAC address with an alternative, this might be the cause for your Back 4 Blood sign-in error. The servers might not work as they should because you are using an alternate MAC address. So the only way to fix this is to clean the alternate MAC address in order to get back to the default MAC address.
- Offline status – In some cases, players have found out that they were unable to play the Back 4 Blood game because their profile status was set to offline. This could be making the servers not connect with your console as they should be, causing the sign-in error. So, in case you have changed your profile status in the past to offline, try to set it back online to see if after that you will be able to sign in to Back 4 Blood.
- Corrupted files – The Back 4 Blood sign in error might be also caused by some corrupted or missing files that are not letting the game work properly. This could have happened due to a lot of reasons like an update that went wrong, or an error that has corrupted some files. If this is applicable to you, you can try to fix this by uninstalling the game, then reinstalling it.
Now that you are aware of all the possible reasons that could cause your Back 4 Blood sign-in error, here’s a list of all the methods that will help you fix it:
1. Check the server status
The first thing players recommend you to do before going straight to the practical methods is to check the status of the Back 4 Blood servers. This error could be caused by the servers going through some problems, or by the servers being under maintenance. This can happen if the developers are making changes to the game.
To verify the server status of the Back 4 Blood game, you can visit the official Twitter page to see if the game’s developers have posted any updates. Look for any announcements on the page, and also you can check the comments to see if other people have encountered issues as well.
If you find out that there is an ongoing server maintenance period, follow the instructions given by the developers.
In case you don’t find anything on their Twitter page, you can also check the status for your specific platform that you are encountering the sign-in error on. Visit the site that matches your platform and look at the current status of the servers:
If you find out that the server is going through maintenance, you can’t do anything other than waiting for the developers to fix the server.
Now that you have checked the server status and this is not the cause, check below the guides that you need to follow to fix this issue.
2. Hard Reset your console
Players are reporting that the most efficient fix that they’ve done to fix their Back 4 Blood sign-in error is to hard reset their consoles. After doing this once or a few more times, they were able to sign in to the game without any problems.
The process is very easy to do on every console, so it is worth trying. You can also unplug the console from the outlet for a few seconds after you turn it off to make sure that it resets properly.
In case you don’t know how to do this on your specific console, here are the guides for every available console:
2.1. Hard reset your Xbox One and Xbox X/S
Fortunately for all Xbox users, the process is the same for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S. Here are the exact steps that you need to follow:
- You need to start by pressing and holding the power button on your console for 10 to 15 seconds. Then wait until the console turns off.
- Once the console is turned off, you need to make sure that the power capacitors are fully drained. To drain the energy more efficiently, unplug the console from the outlet and wait for a minute.
- After the minute has passed, plug the console inside the outlet again and start the console.
- When your Xbox console is fully on, try to launch the Back 4 Blood game again to see if now you will be able to play it.
2.2. Hard reset your PlayStation 4 console
When hard resetting a PlayStation 4 console, you have to make sure that you allow enough time for the power capacitors to clean themselves completely. Here are the exact steps that you need to follow if you don’t know how to do this:
- All you have to do is to press and hold the power button located on your console until it turns off. You can see that when the fan stops.
- After you are sure that the console is off, unplug the power cord from the socket and wait for approximately a minute to make sure that the power capacitors are drained completely.
- Once the time has passed, plug the console back inside the outlet and turn it on.
- When the PlayStation 4 console boots back completely, launch Back 4 Blood to see if the sign-in error still appears.
2.3. Hard reset your PlayStation 5 console
The process of hard resetting your PlayStation 5 console is very similar to the other version of this console. But also you need to keep in mind that you need to wait a little bit longer until the power capacitors are fully drained. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- While your console is fully on, press and hold on to the power button located on your PlayStation 5 console. Keep the button pressed until you are sure that the console has turned off.
- Now after the console is off, you need to unplug the power cord from the outlet and leave it like that for about one minute.
- Once the minute has passed, plug the power cord back into the socket and wait until the console boots back.
- When your PlayStation 5 console is completely on, you have to launch the Back 4 Blood game to see if the error still occurs.
If you’ve tried to hard reset your console for more than one year and still can play the game, go to the next method below.
3. Clear MAC address (Xbox consoles only)
Another thing you can try if you are encountering the sign-in error on an Xbox console is to clean the MAC address that was active. You can do this from the Network settings of your Xbox console
Note: After you’ve done that and rebooted your console, at the next startup the console should use the default MAC address, which could make the sign-in error disappear.
Here’s how you can do this in case you don’t know how to clear the MAC address:
- Go to the main screen of your Xbox console, then access the vertical menu on the right or left side and access the Settings section.
- After that, navigate to the Network tab and select it. Then from the newly appeared menu, you need to select Network Settings.
- Once you’ve done that, select Advanced Settings, then select the Alternate MAC address menu. Now look for the Clean option inside the available options inside the Alternative Wired MAC address.
- When the clearing process is done and the Alternative MAC address is back to the default, reboot your console and wait until it boots back.
- Now test the Back 4 Blood game to see if the sign-in error still occurs.
If the same kind of issue is still occurring, move down to the next potential fix below.
4. Change the profile status to online (Xbox consoles only)
A few affected players have also suggested that if your profile status is set to offline, this might trigger your Back 4 Blood sign in error. Because the status is offline, you can’t connect to the server properly, causing this error to appear.
You can simply fix this by changing the profile status back to online to see if that was the cause for this issue. In case you don’t know how to change the profile status, here are the steps your need to follow:
- From the main menu of your Xbox console, press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide menu.
- Once the guide menu appears on your screen, navigate to the left side until you highlight your profile.
- Now you need to press A to open the profile card. After that, navigate at the bottom until you find Appear online.
- You need to choose to Appear online in order to change your profile status.
- When you successfully change the profile status, reboot your Xbox console. Once it boots back, launch the Back 4 Blood game to see if now the problem is fixed.
If the sign-in error persists even after trying every method that we’ve shown you until now, check below the last possible fix for this error.
5. Uninstall and reinstall the game
The last thing you can try in case neither of the methods before worked is to uninstall the game, then reinstall it. By doing this, some players have managed to fix their Back 4 Blood game and the errors that were appearing.
Note: This method can be tried on every platform because you have nothing to lose if you do it besides the saves, so make sure that you backup all your data to not risk anything. After the game is successfully reinstalled, you should be able to sign in to the game and play.
In case you don’t know how to do this on your specific platform, here is a guide that will help you do it:
5.1. Uninstall and reinstall Back 4 Blood on PC
If this sign-in error has happened on a PC, you can simply fix this by deleting the game from the Programs and Features section. After that, you have to reinstall it from the platform that you’ve bought the game on.
Here are the steps you need to follow to reinstall the game on your PC:
- The first thing you need to do is to open a Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R. Inside the search bar option, you have to type ‘appwiz.cpl‘.
- Once inside the Programs and Features section, search for the Back 4 Blood game through the list of apps and right-click on it when you find it. After that, click on Uninstall.
- Once the game is fully uninstalled, visit the platform on which you have the game purchased like Steam on Xbox Game Pass. Download the game again and wait until it is fully installed.
- After the game is reinstalled and you are able to launch it again, start the game to see if the error is now fixed.
5.2. Uninstall and reinstall Back 4 Blood on Xbox consoles
The process to uninstall and reinstall the game is the same for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S. All you have to do is to uninstall the game from the games library, then reinstall it.
In case you are having difficulties doing this, here are the steps you need to follow:
- You need to start by pressing the Xbox button in order to open the guide menu.
- When the guide menu appears on your screen, navigate to My games & apps and select it, then select See all to go to the full library.
- Once inside the My games & apps library, search for the Back 4 Blood game and highlight it. After that, press the Options button on your controller (three lines button).
- Now navigate until you highlight the Uninstall button, then select it and confirm that you want to uninstall the game.
- Once the game is uninstalled, navigate to the other tab named Ready to install and search for the Back 4 Blood game, then make sure to install it.
- When the installation is complete, launch the game and try to play it to see if the sign-in error still occurs.
5.3. Uninstall and reinstall Back 4 Blood on PlayStation 4
The steps on how to uninstall and reinstall the game on your PlayStation 4 console are very easy to follow. All you have to do is to uninstall the game from the settings, then reinstall it from the library.
In case you don’t know how to do this, here are the steps you need to follow:
- From the main screen of your PlayStation 4 console, navigate to the end of the right side to Library, then access it.
- After that, go to the Games section and search for Back 4 Blood, then highlight the game and press the Options button on your controller to open a submenu.
- Once you’ve done that, navigate to where it says Delete and confirm the change.
- After you are done with the uninstallation, look inside the library again for the Back 4 Blood game and make sure to install it again.
- Once the games are completely installed, you can finally check if the sign-in error is still appearing.
5.4. Uninstall and reinstall Back 4 Blood on PlayStation 5
The guide that you need to follow in order to uninstall and reinstall Back 4 Blood is very similar to the other PlayStation version, but still a bit different. In case you need help doing this, here are the steps you need to follow:
- From the main screen of your PlayStation 5 console, there are more ways to uninstall a game. The fastest way is to highlight the game on the main screen and press the Options button on your controller to open a submenu.
- After that, navigate to the Delete button and select it to confirm that you want to uninstall the game.
- Once the game is uninstalled completely, go to the Game Library and search for the Back 4 Blood game inside the list.
- After you find the game, make sure to install it.
- When the game is fully installed, launch it and try to play it to see if you still encounter the sign-in issue while trying to play Back 4 Blood.