Many users use Microsoft Word in their daily life for writing different kinds of documents. They will sometimes have to use the Footnotes and Endnotes in their writing. Footnotes and Endnotes are used in the documents to provide additional information about the paragraphs or sentences. However, many users are unaware of this feature in Microsoft Word. In this article, we will teach you the basic steps about using Footnotes and Endnotes in your documents.
A Footnote and Endnote are used for additional information given at the bottom of the page and document. The superscript numbers are used for the Footnote and Endnote. These numbers can be seen in the document where the user has added the Footnote and Endnote. The difference between Footnote and Endnote is that Footnotes will be at the end of the page, whereas Endnotes will be at the end of the document.
Using Footnotes and Endnotes in Microsoft Word
There are many ways for using the Footnotes and Endnote in Microsoft Word. They are used to provide additional information to the reader about the sentence or paragraph. Microsoft Word also provides many different settings and options for footnotes and endnotes. Here we will show you the basic steps through which you can use footnotes and endnotes. Further, you can use them up to your needs for the documents. Follow the below steps to try out the footnotes and endnotes:
- Open the Microsoft Word by double-clicking the shortcut or searching it through the Windows search feature.
- You can start a new file or open an existing document by clicking on File and choosing the Open option.
- Click at the end of any sentence/paragraph. Now click on the References tab and click on the Insert Footnote button.
Note: If you are adding Endnote, then click on the Insert Endnote option.
- It will automatically take you to the bottom of the page where you can add the details of your footnote.
Note: If you added Endnote, it will be added at the end of the document rather than at the end of the page.
- You can also change the numbering, position, and many other settings of Footnotes and Endnotes by clicking on the dialog icon as shown below:
- If you want to put the same Footnotes and Endnotes more than one time, then in the References tab you can click on the Cross-reference button. Here you can select Footnote or Endnote and then click the Insert button.
Appuals.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.