Windows 11 update KB5014697 not installing on windows might be due to insufficient space on your storage or maybe due to bad update components. This error occurs when a user tries to download the KB5014697 update on their Windows PC.
Before Jumping right into the solutions let’s look closely at what can cause a windows error update.
Unstable Build- An Unstable Windows build means a Version of Windows 11 that has a lot of bugs and issues and windows deliberately is not allowing users to download.
Corrupt BITS- Background intelligent transfer service is a service provided by microsoft that facilitates synced and prioritized transfer of files .It is lately used as a tool for windows update file transfer. Restarting the service can solve the problem if an Unstable BITS is the root cause of you facing trouble while updating windows 11.
Corrupt Windows Update Components- The services that combine to carry down update processes are know as update components and if they are malfunctioning they can be repaired by resetting them easily.
Insufficient Storage Space– The update processes won’t succeed if you are low on storage on your main drive, free up some space to continue with updating your windows.
1. Run Update Troubleshooter
Windows 11 comes packed with a variety of features among them is the option to troubleshoot windows updates. In order to use this feature follow these steps :
- Open Start Menu by tapping on the Windows Icon on the taskbar or by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard
- Click On settings.
- On the Left Side of your screen Click on System Settings
- Click on Troubleshoot.
- Click on Other Troubleshooters.
- Click on the run button beside the windows update section.
- Wait a while until the loading finishes.
- Restart Your Computer.
Once You have restarted your computer after doing the above-mentioned steps, Try updating your Windows 11 once again, If the problem persists continue to the next step.
2. Use Microsoft Update Catalog:
Microsoft Update Catalog is a service from Microsoft that provides a listing of updates that can be distributed over a corporate network. You can use it as a one-stop location for finding Microsoft software updates, drivers, and hotfixes. Click here to visit the Microsoft update catalog and follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Click here to visit the Microsoft Update catalogue.
- In the search box type in the update code i.e KB5014697.
- Select the highlighted update as shown in the image.
- Click on the hyperlink, this will start the downloading process of the windows update file.
- Once the file has been downloaded.
- Run it.
3. Use Window’s 11 Update Assistant:
Windows 11 update assistant is an executable service provided by Microsoft to ease up the process of downloading and updating windows 11, to use this service follow the following steps.
- Click here to download windows 11 update assistant.
- Run the .exe file it just downloaded.
- Hit accept and install.
- If it does not allow you to accept and install, go to file explorer and open the downloads folder.
- Right-click on the file you just downloaded and open properties.
- At the top click on the compatibility module.
- In the Compatability mode section, check the option that says run this in compatibility mode.
- In the drop-down menu select Windows 7 as your preferred Os build.
- Now try running the windows 11 update assistant again and it should work.
If your windows 11 is still not updating continue to the next step
4. Reset Windows Update Components :
In this step, we will be creating a .bat file that will automate the resetting of windows update components. In order to create this file follow the following steps carefully.
- Open Notepad on Your computer and paste the following commands into it likewise.
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop msiserver net stop cryptsvc net stop appidsvc Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll netsh winsock reset netsh winsock reset proxy rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup Sfc /ScanNow net start bits net start wuauserv net start msiserver net start cryptsvc net start appidsvc
- Save the notepad file you just created as wufix.bat on your desktop.
- Make sure to select the all files option.
- Now on your desktop, right-click on the file you just created and run as an administrator.
- Now the file will automatically start disabling a few services and run a few scans. This might take a few seconds or so.
- Once this is done close the prompt and restart your PC.
- Try Updating windows 11 again
If the issue is yet to be resolved continue to the next step which is to use media creation tool to download the Windows 11 update.
5. Using Media Creation Tool:
Windows media creation tool is a Microsoft-provided service which allows the user’s to create a .iso file which they can execute on their computers to install windows. To do to this follow the following steps.
- Click here to download Microsofts Media Creation Tool.
- Click on the download now button under the media creation tool section.
- Run the executable file it just downloaded.
- Click on allow.
- Click on accept.
- Choose the .iso option as we are looking to create a burnable file.
- Select the path, I have chosen desktop as my path.
- After the installation is done, open the desktop.
- Double click on the .iso file it just created.
- Click on setup.exe
- Click on next and update your windows 11.
6. Insufficient Storage
Windows Update might not proceed if you have insufficient space on your Main drive. Free up some space by deleting unnecessary files. We have provided you with the most efficient ways to resolve this problem, if yet your windows 11 is not updating it might be because of some really general problem e.g unstable internet or not enough disk space. Please refer to step no 5 as users have reported it being a successful fix to this problem for them.