If you’re struggling to fully uninstall Final Fantasy XIV from your system and free up disk space, you’re not alone. Uninstalling the game from Steam only deletes the game client/launcher – it does not remove the game files from your system. This is why your disk space doesn’t get freed up even if you uninstall the game. To free up space, you’ll need to uninstall the game through a different method.
To uninstall Final Fantasy XIV properly, we’ve prepared this guide where we’ll be showing you how to fully delete all traces of its game files from your system.
How to Uninstall Final Fantasy 14
Final Fantasy XIV cannot be uninstalled directly from Steam due to the fact that Steam simply uninstalls the game client (launcher) and not the game itself. This is the reason why uninstalling the game from Steam does not free up any disk space whatsoever as the game files on your PC/laptop remain untouched.
To uninstall the game properly and free up disk space, you’ll need to try another method of uninstallation that completely removes the game files. Below, we’ve listed the easiest ways to uninstall the game. Follow these methods and the game files will be fully gone from your system.
Method #1 – Run the FFXIV Uninstaller
The first and simplest way to uninstall the game is to run the executable uninstaller file that the game comes with. This file is located in the folder where the game is installed, so you’ll first have to figure out where this folder is located on your system.
Before you follow any of the steps below, make sure that you do not have the FF14 client open on your system. If the client is open, it can prevent the uninstaller from being able to delete the game files.
If you installed the game through Steam, you will likely find it in Steam’s default install location, which is given below:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common (For 64-bit Systems) C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common (For 32-bit Systems)
You can simply open File Explorer by pressing Windows Key + E and paste this address into the address bar to instantly find the folder where FF14 is installed on your system.
However, if you do not find the game at this location, it means that your Steam Library is located somewhere else on the system. To figure out its location, follow the steps we’ve listed below:
- Launch Steam.
- Click on the small “Steam” button at the top-left corner of the Window.
- Click on Settings.
- On the left side of the Settings menu, click on the “Storage” option.
- On the disk where you see FF14, click on the three dots on the right-hand side and select “Browse Folder.”
- In File Explorer, click on the “common” folder.
- Click on “Final Fantasy XIV – A Realm Reborn.“
If you did not install the game through Steam, simply follow these steps instead to open the game’s folder:
- Right-click on the icon of the game’s launcher.
- Select “Properties.”
- Navigate to the “Shortcut” tab.
- Press the “Open File Location” button.
In this folder, you’ll see a file named “ffxivuninstaller.exe”. Simply run this file and press “Yes” when asked for confirmation. After that, all you need to do is wait for the game to finish being uninstalled.
Method #2 – Uninstall the Game from Control Panel
If you’re unable to locate the uninstaller file, the next method is to use Control Panel. Follow the steps listed below to easily uninstall the game using Control Panel:
- Open the Start Menu by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard, then type Control Panel and hit enter.
- In the Control Panel Window, click on “Uninstall a program.”
- Look for FFXIV in the list of programs.
- Right-click on FFXIV and press Uninstall.
- Press “Yes” when asked to confirm the Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the uninstaller menu.
If you do not see FFXIV in the list of programs in Control Panel, then try using the Windows Apps & Features menu to uninstall it instead by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I together to open the Settings menu.
- Click on the “Apps” option.
- Type Final Fantasy IV in the search bar.
- Click on FFXIV and press Uninstall.
- Press “Yes” when asked to confirm the Uninstall.
- Follow the steps of the uninstaller menu.
After uninstalling the game in this way, you’ll also need to delete the game data stored in your Documents folder. Simply open File Explorer and navigate to Documents > My Games > Final Fantasy IV – A Real Reborn. Once you’ve found this folder, select all the contents inside and delete them all. The game files will then be fully removed from your PC/laptop.
Note: Some users have reported that they do not see FF14 listed in the Apps & Features menu, while some other users report that they get an error when trying to uninstall the game this way. If you’re one of these users, simply skip to the next method listed below.
Method #3 – Manually Delete the Game Files
If none of the above solutions have worked for you, then the next solution is to manually delete the game files yourself. For this, you’ll need to first locate the game files, which we’ve already explained how to do in Method #1.
Simply go to your Steam Library Folder > steamapps > common and delete the FF14 folder.
After that, go to Documents > My Games > Final Fantasy IV – A Real Reborn and delete the contents of that folder as well.
After deleting all the files, make sure to empty the Recycle Bin as well to actually free up the storage. Otherwise, the files will simply stay in the Recycle Bin, so no disk space will be freed.
Method #4 – Use a Third-Party Uninstaller Application
If something is causing the FF14 uninstall to fail, or something is preventing you from being able to delete the game files manually, then the final solution to this problem is to download a third-party uninstaller application. This application will delete the game files for you and it’s a guaranteed way to resolve this uninstall issue.
Keep in mind that there are many uninstaller programs available online, but most of them don’t do the job properly. You need to download a popular and trusted uninstaller program.
Instead of going into a deep-dive on Google in search of a good uninstaller software, check out our guide where we’ve listed the best TuneUp Utilities, many of which come with a built-in uninstaller feature. Simply download any of the programs listed in our list and use its uninstaller feature to finally remove FF14 from your system.
How to Uninstall Final Fantasy 14 on Mac
Finding FF14’s game files can be much tricker on Mac as the folder where they are located may be hidden on the system. If you’re struggling to find the game files, follow the steps written below:
- Open Finder and navigate to Users > Your Name.
- Once in that folder, press Command + J at the same time.
- Check the box that says “Show Library Folder.”
- Open the new Library folder that has just appeared.
- Navigate to Application Support > Final Fantasy XIV.
- Delete this folder.
- Delete the folder from Trash to finally free up your disk space.