Apple has recently introduced the Unlock with Apple Watch feature with the release of iOS 14.5. This new feature allows you to unlock your iPhone using your Apple Watch. Not only this, but you can synchronize your Mac as well making sure that you are in close proximity to the device.
In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to set up the feature, including the necessary requirements, and how to enable it for both your Mac and iPhone in the simple and best possible way.
Before jumping to the “how-to” part, let’s talk about the requirements that need to be fulfilled. If your iPhone, Mac, and Apple Watch meet the following criteria, you can move on to the procedure of unlocking your iPhone with an Apple Watch.
- Updated to iOS 14.5 or above
- Face ID turned on
- The Mac model must be from mid-2013 or later.
- Requires a minimum operating system of macOS Sierra.
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be turned on.
- Ensure that both your Apple Watch and Mac are logged in to iCloud using the same Apple ID with 2-factor authentication
For Apple Watch:
- Apple Watch Series 3 or later.
- Apple Watch with a passcode.
- Wrist detection is turned on.
Enabling the “Unlock with Apple Watch” Feature
This feature allows us to pair our iPhone with the Apple Watch. Before using this, make sure to have your Apple Watch on your wrist and unlocked, then follow the steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone
- Scroll down and tap Face ID and Passcode
- Enter your iPhone passcode
- Scroll down and turn on the toggle for Apple Watch under Unlock with Apple Watch.
How to unlock iPhone using the “Unlock with Apple Watch” Feature
After enabling the Unlock with Apple Watch feature, follow the 4 basic steps to experience seamless device access with Apple Watch:
- Wear a face mask covering your mouth and nose.
- Raise your iPhone to awaken it.
- Glance at your iPhone, it will identify your face mask and unlock it with your Apple Watch.
- You’ll receive a notification on your Apple Watch indicating your iPhone has been unlocked.
How to unlock Mac using Apple Watch
With the pairing of the Apple Watch, typing long and complex passwords every time you need to access your Mac is no longer a concern. Simply follow the steps, and you can enjoy a hassle-free experience.
Mac using macOS Ventura or later:
- Choose the Apple menu > System Settings.
- In the sidebar, click Touch ID & Password (or Login Password, depending on your Mac model).
- In the Apple Watch section on the right, turn on the toggle for your Apple Watch.
Mac using an earlier version of macOS:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Select “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac.”
Pairing your Apple Watch with your Mac allows for password-free access to your computer. Restarting your Mac after pairing ensures proper functionality. If manual password entry is still required, double–click the side button on your Apple Watch for automatic password input.
The Unlock with Apple Watch feature provides a convenient and secure method to access your iPhone. Additionally, integrating your Apple Watch with your Mac not only saves time but adds an extra layer of security to your devices. Enjoy the convenience and peace of mind of unlocking with just your Apple Watch.