Roblox consumes high CPU usage, up to 100%, due to misconfigured settings on Windows. If you are facing this issue, you need to ensure that settings are properly configured and the integrated or dedicated GPU drivers are up-to-date.
High CPU usage is often caused by running irrelevant background applications or having malware or viruses in the system. First, if you have a low-end CPU, you should not worry about the high CPU usage when playing Roblox. However, if you have a decent CPU with a dedicated GPU, you should troubleshoot this issue as soon as possible, as your system might be affected by the malware.
1. Disable Background Apps
Since idle background applications consume a significant amount of CPU usage, it is recommended to start by Disabling the background applications from the task manager or Windows Settings to reduce the CPU consumption. To do so, follow the steps:
Windows 10 or below
- Click the Start Menu and type Background Apps in the search box.
- Hit Enter to navigate into the settings.
- Toggle off the button called Let apps run in the background.
- Once done, launch the Roblox and see if the problem is resolved or not.
Unfortunately, in Windows 11, you will have to use Group Policy Editor to disable the background apps, as there is no option in Windows to disable all the background apps directly from the Windows Settings. To do so, follow the steps:
- Press the Win + R keys and type gpedit.msc in the search box.
- Hit Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Now, use the left sidebar to navigate to the following path.
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Privacy
- Here, double-click on Let Windows apps run in the background.
- Then, select Disabled. Click Apply and click OK to save the settings.
- Now, launch the Roblox to verify if this has fixed the error.
2. Adjust your PC for the best Performance
Windows has many visual effects that use a significant amount of system resources. Even though they look very nice, they can also slow down the system or application performance. This is especially true if you have a low-end system. Therefore, configure your PC to produce the best performance by following the steps:
- Click the Start Menu and type View Advanced System Settings.
- Hit Enter to open the advanced system settings.
- Click Settings under Performance.
- Here, select Adjust for best performance.
- Then, click Apply and click OK.
- Once done, see if the problem is resolved or not.
3. Update or Reinstall the GPU driver
If you have a low-end CPU with an integrated GPU, you need to make sure that the latest driver is installed in your system by updating or reinstalling the driver. However, if you have a dedicated GPU, you should perform a clean installation of the GPU driver to ensure the driver you have is not corrupted or outdated.
When it comes to reinstalling the driver, we always recommend DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). It is an application that helps remove the graphics driver without any files left behind. Follow the steps to reinstall the driver even if you already have the latest driver installed.
- Download the Display Driver Uninstaller by navigating to the link.
- Then, extract the downloaded DDU zip folder using WinRar or 7zip.
- Once done, open the extracted folder and run the 7zip DDU file.
- Click Extract and navigate to the extracted folder.
- Now open the DDU application.
- Select the Device and the GPU vendor from the right pane.
- Click Clean and restart to uninstall the driver.
- Once done, you will have to install the latest driver. For that, go to your GPU manufacturer’s website.
- Search for the latest driver and download it according to your operating system.
- Once done, install the driver.
- Restart your computer and see if this resolves the issue or not.
4. Add Roblox in Graphics Preferences Settings
Graphics preferences settings is used to configure the application to run with high performance. It is also used to select whether to use iGPU or dedicated GPU to run the application. Since you are facing high CPU usage, you can try adding Roblox to the graphics preferences settings. This will distribute an equal load to your CPU and GPU, which should automatically reduce CPU usage. To do so, follow the steps:
- Press the Windows key and type Graphics Settings.
- Hit Enter to navigate to the settings.
- Here, click Browse and navigate to the directory where the Roblox is installed. You can right-click Roblox and select Open file location to find out the directory of the Roblox.
- Once done, select the RobloxPlayerBeta.exe and click Add.
- Once added, select the Roblox and click Options.
- Then, select High Performance and click Save.
- Now verify if the issue persists.
5. Check for malware scan
When applications consume high CPU usage, it is often due to malware or viruses injected by third-party or untrusted applications. If the issue persists after following all of the above methods, it is highly recommended to scan your computer using a third-party or built-in antivirus program. We recommend using the built-in Windows Defender to scan your system.
Follow the steps to scan your computer:
- Press the Win key and type Windows Security.
- Hit Enter to navigate into the Windows Security settings.
- Go to Virus & threat protection and click Scan options.
- Here, either select Full scan or Microsoft Defender Antivirus (Offline Scan).
- Then, click Scan now to start the scanning process.
- Once done, see if the issue is resolved or not.
6. Try using a Microsoft Store version
There is also a Microsoft store version of Roblox that is the same as the Roblox client version. When users encounter issues with a Roblox client version, we recommend installing a Microsoft Store Roblox version. To do so, simply follow the steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store and search Roblox.
- Here, click Install and wait for the installation to be completed.
- Once done, launch the Roblox and open the task manager to see if the CPU usage has reduced or not.
7. Reinstall Roblox
After following all the methods, if the CPU usage is still high, try reinstalling the Roblox because it is possible that the Roblox files become corrupted, causing high CPU usage. Therefore, try reinstalling Roblox to ensure there are no corrupted files in the Roblox folder.
To reinstall the Roblox, follow the steps:
- Press the Win key and type Add or remove programs.
- Hit Enter to navigate into the Apps & Features settings.
- Here, find the Roblox and click the three dots on it.
- Then, click Uninstall.
- Again, click Uninstall to remove the Roblox.
- Once done, press the Win + R keys simultaneously to open the Run Window.
- Type appdata in the input box and click OK.
- Navigate to the Local folder and find the Roblox folder.
- Right-click on it and select Delete.
- Once the folder is removed, proceed to install the Robkox from the official website.
To fix the high CPU usage, try disabling the background apps. The background apps often cause high CPU usage issues. This is especially true if you have the applications that are configured to launch with the Windows startup.
High CPU usage when playing Roblox is normal if you have an iGPU. However, if you have a dedicated Graphics Card, then it might be due to using irrelevant background applications. So, ensure that you don’t have irrelevant applications running in the background for no reason.