Invalid access to memory location error occurs when the system is unable to process through the driver. It can also appear when your ram is not accessible or the other application uses memory location. Outdated graphics driver and outdated Windows seemed to be the main cause for this error.
There are many reasons for invalid access to a memory location, below are some causes that can trigger this issue:-
- Outdated video drivers- Outdated video drivers can trigger this issue because outdated drivers can deny the memory access requested by the application.
- Outdated Windows- Having an outdated version of the Windows operating system can cause a memory location error because an outdated Windows has memory management issues with the Valorant.
- Avoid VPN- If you use VPN while downloading Valorant setup then you will run into this error because somehow it can create a problem when you used VPN to install Valorant setup.
- Temporary files- Having a huge amount of temporary files can trigger the memory location error because it can conflict with the running Windows services and becomes a problem for you in the form of a memory location error.
- Other programs consuming high memory- If you are running another application, consuming high memory usage and if the other application uses memory location then it can lead you to this issue.
- incompatible Windows version- If you have a 32-bit version and you are trying to download valorant, it will never gonna happen because Valorant does not support a 32-bit operating system. It will also run you to this memory location error.
Update Graphics Driver
If you are having an error called Invalid access to a memory location, the first thing you should do is check for your graphics driver update because it is possible that you may be on the old version of your video card drivers and it can trigger this issue because old video drivers can stop the application or game to have a memory location requested by the application.
Below are the instructions that will be similar to every GPU vendor such as Intel and AMD. You can follow the below instruction to download or update your Graphics driver:-
Note- If you have intel or other drivers that need to update then you can go to the official Graphics card manufacturer site to download the latest drivers. Also if you have a laptop, we suggest you install your graphics driver from your laptop manufacturer’s website because it can boost the gaming performance of your laptop.
- To update your Graphics driver, go to your manufacturer’s site.
- Choose your Graphics card according to its specification.
- Once done click on the Search button and it will find the best and latest Graphics driver for you.
- Then, click on the Download button and it should start the downloading process.
- Once it is finished then double click on the Installer to install the drivers
- After that follow the further instruction then it will ask for a Reboot click on the Restart button. If you did not revive a reboot message then manually reboot your computer by pressing the Alt + F4 buttons and then selecting the Restart option.
- Once you restarted, open the Riot client as administrator then check if the error persists.
Restart Your Computer
Restarting the computer might fix the memory location error if the error is prevailing due to a conflict of Windows services and the Windows service might not be started correctly. Rebooting the computer will also help if you are having this issue due to a Windows bug or temporary error that can be fixed by restarting the operating system. So if you are not restarted your computer yet then go for it before making any changes to your computer.
Check Windows Architecture
Having a 32-bit operating system can also trigger a memory location error because Valorant does not support a 32-bit operating system. To fix the memory location error, you have to manually upgrade your Windows to 64-bit. You can check your Windows bit by following the below steps:-
- To check the Windows version, go to the settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
- Click on the System option then click on the About section on the sidebar.
- You should see your system specs, including the Windows version.
Update Your Windows
Outdated Windows can prevail a memory location error, as we mentioned above that the outdated Windows has some security management issues with the latest Valorant. Make sure to ensure that, before making any changes to your computer, you are not having an outdated Windows because it could run you into this error.
Below are the steps to confirm that your Windows is not outdated and if it’s then update your Windows as follows:-
- Press the Windows key and select the gear icon to open the settings.
- Open the Update & Security, then click on the Check for Updates, it will download all the remaining updates that need to be installed.
Don’t Use Microsoft Edge to download Valorant setup
According to the research the error can appear on the screen when you used Microsoft Edge to download the Valorant setup. Microsoft Edge may not get the proper administrator privilege as compared to other browsers like Google chrome and firefox. If you are a Microsft Edge user then you can temporarily use google chrome or another browser to download Valorant setup.
Modify the System Configuration
You may resolve the memory location error by changing the system configuration. Generally, the conflict between Windows services seemed to be the main cause of a memory location error. Default system configuration settings in which the Normal startup is selected by default, which loads all the nonessential software and services at the startup of the Windows operating system.
It is prohibited that all programs load at startup. Below are the steps to change the configuration settings and also disable all the irrelevant services and software to save the memory.
- Press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run Window.
- Type MSConfig in the box and hit enter.
- By default, the Normal startup is selected, you will have to select Selective startup.
- Then go to the Services tab, and make sure to tick the Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on the Disable all button on the bottom then restart your computer.
- Now launch the Riot client, and check if the error persists.
Delete Temporary Files
A huge amount of temporary files also plays a big role in causing the memory location error because having a huge amount of temporary files may conflict between the Windows services and might be the reason for your Windows services not to start correctly. Deleting the temporary files will increase the local disk space and also makes your Windows clean and faster.
Below are the steps to delete temporary files:-
- Press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run Window.
- Type %temp% in the Run program and hit enter.
- Here you should see all the temporary files created by the WIndows or application.
- Press Ctrl+A together to select all the temporary files.
- Now press the Delete button or Right-click on the screen and select the Delete option.
Note- All temporary files will not delete because some programs and Windows services still running in the background.
- If you see a popup screen asking for a skip message then click on the Skip button.
- Once done, launch the Riot client and check if the error persists.
Close High Memory Consuming Programs
High memory-consuming programs are also included in causing a memory location error. If the other program on your computer using memory location then the memory location access may be blocked, as requested by the application or game. So make sure to end task all the programs, consuming high memory usage.
Below are the steps to end task unnecessary programs consuming high memory usage.
- Riot click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Once the task manager is opened click on the Memory button under the process tab.
- You will see the programs that are using high usage of your Ram.
- Select each program then click on the End task button on the bottom right.
- Once done, launch the Riot client or Valorant setup to check if the error persists.
Run Riot Client as Administrator
The other reason that can prevail this error is not having certain permission that comes with the administrator account to access memory location and the other information. Running a Riot client as an administrator privilege will give full authority to an application to make some changes in your system and may also fix the memory location error.
Right-click on the Riot Client or the Valorant setup then select the Run as administrator option.
Disable Antivirus Temporarily
The third-party antivirus software might have blocked some services that handle memory location even sometimes the Windows defender blocks some services so make sure to disable Real-time protection also if you are using any third-party antivirus software then disable it.
Below are the steps to disable antivirus temporarily:-
- Press the Windows and type settings in the search bar.
- Open the settings, and go to Windows & security.
- Click on the Windows security option on the left pane.
- Then click on Open Windows Security.
- Navigate to Virus & threat protection to view the antivirus software.
- Now click on the Manage settings.
- Turned off the Real-time protection.
- Once you turned off the antivirus, then launch the Riot client to check if the error is resolved.
Run SFC and DISM commands
In case the error appears due to corrupted Windows files or your Windows image gets damaged then you have to run some commands that will help in repairing the Windows image and also restoring the corrupted files.
Follow the steps to run the repair commands:-
- Press the Windows key and type the command prompt in the search bar.
- Press ctrl + shift + enter keys together to open the command prompt as administrator privilage then run the following commands one by one to repair WIndows image and restore corrupted Windows.
sfc/scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once you entered all the commands, launch the Riot client and check if the error persists.
Download Valorant from Your Friends computer (If Applicable)
If you are still getting the same error message then we recommend you to use another computer or your friend’s computer to download and install valorant then move Valorant to your computer.
We looked into every scenario that might be a culprit for memory location error. If none of the methods worked f then simply contact Riot games by submitting a ticket because you may need an expert to resolve this issue.