Hyperlink not working in Microsoft Teams problem occurs when users try to open a shared hyperlink or create a new link on Microsoft Teams. The users reported they are facing problems while opening the hyperlink or won’t be able to create a new link on Teams. The problem is likely to get appeared when Team gets stuck during creating the new link or the shared hyperlink won’t work.
The problem is very troublesome and needed to get fixed, therefore we have done our research and come up with this blog that will give you every sort of information from the causes to the solution to deal with this issue in no time. But before starting with the solutions let’s know the causes triggering such problems before jumping directly to the solutions. As knowing causes will help you to know the problem in deep thereby solving it with the most effective solution various mentioned.
What Causes “Hyperlink Not Working in Microsoft Teams”?
- Internet issue- The main reason why the hyperlink can’t work on Microsoft Teams is an internet issue. If your internet connection is not stable or is weak then you will find difficulty in the opening hyperlink in Teams. So, when the internet is found to be the culprit, try fixing the problem by stabilizing your internet.
- Browser cache- Another reason triggering this problem is the browser cache. If your browser has accumulated loads of cache and somehow the cache got corrupted then you may encounter this issue. Lots of caches can disturb the browser functionality thereby creating hyperlinks not working in Teams issue. Therefore, you need to clear your browser cache to fix the problem.
- Microsoft Teams cache- Similarly to browser cache accumulated Microsoft Teams cache can also trouble you with this hyperlink not working problem. If you haven’t cleared your Teams to cache for a long duration you may run into this problem. Hereby, it is always suggested to clear cache from time to time to avoid getting into such problematic situations.
- Authentication problem in Teams- Another reason for the hyperlink not working in Microsoft Teams app is the authentication issue. If you are not authenticated as a user by the Teams app then you must face this problem. In such a situation, try fixing the problem by re-logging into your Teams account.
- Not running Microsoft Teams in the background- In most instances, if you are trying to open the link received on other apps like Skype without having the Teams opened in the background then you may run into this problem. In this case, make sure to have Microsoft Teams running in the background while opening the hyperlink on the browser.
- Temporary bugs or Glitches of Teams- If your Teams app has temporary issues like bugs or glitches then it can trouble you with this problem. Hereby, when such is the case found behind your problem, try dealing with the issue by rebooting your Microsoft Teams app.
- Outdated Teams app- Another reason triggering this problem is your outdated Teams version. If you are using an old or outdated version of the Teams app then this might trouble you with this problem. Therefore, it is advisable to make use of an updated or latest available version of the Teams app to get rid of this situation.
Above are some reasons causing this problem to arise on Microsoft Teams. Now as you are aware of these reasons, you’ll be easily able to fix the problem in no time with mentioned fixes.
1. Reboot Microsoft Teams
As it is mentioned above that Teams’ internal issues such as bugs or glitches may create this issue on Microsoft Teams. Hereby, this situation can be handled simply by rebooting your Teams app. Reboot will give your app a fresh start thereby fixing temporary issues that are currently prevailing on the Teams app. Therefore, this solution is worth giving a chance.
- Firstly, press the Ctrl+ Alt+ Del keys altogether to open the menu.
- Then, select Task manager from the appeared menu options.
- Go to the Processes tab and find Teams.
- Once found click on it and tap the End Task button at the bottom.
- Now, launch the Teams app again and try loading the hyperlink once again to check if it’s working or not.
2. Clear the Cache of the Browser
If the browser you are using is fully loaded with a cache, then you may encounter such a problem. Hereby, try clearing your browser cache timely to avoid getting into such situations. As accumulated cache might hinder your browser from working thereby creating such issues. To clear the browser cache, follow the provided below instructions as mentioned:
2.1 On Google Chrome:
- Launch Google Chrome on your system.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Now, tap on More Tools.
- Then, choose the option Clear browsing data and check the option boxes for Browsing history, Cookies site data and cached images files.
Lastly, hit the Clear data button appearing at the bottom to clear the browser.
2.2 On Mozilla Firefox:
- Firstly, launch the Firefox browser.
- Next, on the Home page click the Settings icon.
- Then, choose the option Manage more settings.
- Now, go for Privacy & security category.
- Scroll down to the Cookies & Site Data and click the Clear data button next to it.
2.3 On Mac Safari:
- Open the Safari browser on your PC.
- Next, select Preferences and go to the Privacy tab.
- Then, click on the option box Remove All Website Data next to Cookies & other website data.
- Lastly, click on Remove Now option for final confirmation.
3. Re-login into Microsoft Teams
Authentication is one of the reasons that restrict the hyperlink from loading or working on Microsoft Teams. Sometimes the technical glitches or bugs in Microsoft start conflicting and causing problems with Microsoft Teams. Therefore, if you find such is case scenario behind your problem then try fixing it by re-logging into your Teams account. For this, you need to log out from Teams and then sign in again. Follow the steps guide below to do so:
- Launch Teams on your system.
- Click on the Profile picture appearing at the top.
- Scroll down and select the Sign out option and confirm to log out.
- Now, log in again with the same credentials and try opening the hyperlink to check whether or not it is working.
4. Clear Teams cache
As already said, an overloaded Teams cache can also trouble you with this issue on Teams. The cache stored might get corrupted and prevent the hyperlink from opening or working. Therefore, it is suggestible to clear Teams cache from time to time to avoid facing such problems. Below are the steps to flush your Teams cache:
- Firstly, shut the Microsoft Teams app.
- Then, hold Ctrl+ R to launch the Run menu.
- Now, on the run dialogue box type %AppData%\Microsoft\teams and press Enter. This will open the cache folder for Teams.
- Here, delete all the appeared folders by selecting them all.
- Once deleted, try opening the hyperlink to check for the problem.
In case you also use the Teams Web version on Chrome, follow the below steps to wipe the online cache:
- Launch the Run menu by pressing the Ctrl+ R keys altogether.
- Now, type %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\ on the run dialogue box.
- Then, look for the cache folder and Web data & cookies files.
- Once located, delete them.
- Lastly, launch the Teams app and try opening the hyperlink.
5. Keep Microsoft Teams Running in the Background
If you received the hyperlink on some other apps such as WhatsApp or Skype, and if it’s not opening then it may be because the Microsoft Teams app is not running in the background. Therefore, make sure to keep the Teams app running in the background while opening any hyperlink received on other apps.
You just need to launch Microsoft Teams on your Mac or Windows PC and then open the hyperlink. On Windows, you need to tap the up arrow in the taskbar and make sure that Teams runs in the background.
6. Use Microsoft Teams Web Version
Whenever you try to open Teams hyperlink, it first opens on the default browser on Mac or Windows OS. It pop-ups the confirmation message for opening the hyperlink on the native Microsoft Teams app. So, when you open the hyperlink on the Teams app and if it’s not opening then try using the web version of the Microsoft Teams app to open the hyperlink.
7. Open the Teams link in a New Tab
Sometimes, the hyperlink does not work in your browser. So, if you are opening the hyperlink by clicking on it and it’s not working then try opening it manually. In this case, you need to copy the link and paste it into the new tab to open it manually. For this, you just need to open your web browser and copy the link on the address tab to open it.
8. Update the app
Lastly, if none of the above solutions works for you then try updating the Teams app. If you are using an outdated or old version of the Teams then you may find difficulty in opening the Teams hyperlink on the app. Therefore, when such is the situation found behind your case scenario, try fixing the issue by simply updating the Microsoft Teams outdated version to the latest available version. Follow the below steps to update the Teams app.
- Launch the Microsoft Teams app.
- Then, tap the three horizontal dots next to the Profile icon at the top.
- Next, select the option Check for updates and look for the update there.
- If found, download & install the latest update and relaunch the Teams app to open the hyperlink to check if it’s working or not.
Well, this is a common issue and doesn’t require any tough or hard technical troubleshooting. Hereby, we have this extensive guide covered with all the possible solutions that will let you out of this problematic situation in no time. I hope, the article serves you well thereby solving the hyperlink not working in the Microsoft Teams problem.