The error 0x8007042c is associated with a number of issues in Windows. For some users, this error appears and prevents them from downloading the latest Windows 10 updates, others also get this error on any operation in the Windows settings telling you some network problems were detected or you’re not connected. This error has also occurred to users upgrading to Windows 10.
This issue is caused when Windows Update, Windows Firewall, and some related services are not running. The presence of 3rd party antivirus application have also caused this issue. Starting the stopped services or temporarily uninstalling your antivirus should fix this issue.
In this article, we’ll look at how to solve this error easily. The first method should solve this issue but if it doesn’t work, you can try the second.
Method 1: Checking Windows Services
- Press the Windows Key + R, type in services.msc in the Run dialog box and click OK to open the Windows Services Console.
- Search for the following services and double-click on them. Make sure the Service status is running and Startup type is set to automatic:Windows Event Log
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- After enabling these services, try to install Windows Updates again to check if the issue has been solved. Alternatively, you can download this batch script and Run As Administrator.
- Press the Start button and type “cmd”. Right-click on “Command Prompt” and click “Run as Administrator”. Accept the UAC prompt when the prompt comes up.
- Enter the following commands in the elevated command prompt:
Sc Stop wuauserv
Rd /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
- When done, restart your computer and try installing the Windows Updates.
Method 2: Uninstalling Your Antivirus
Removing your antivirus and firewall software is likely to solve the issue. It’s not sufficient to deactivate your antivirus. You can remove such softwares from the Programs settings or you can use a removal tool provided by your vendor to completely remove installed files and registry settings..
- Download the removal corresponding tool from your antivirus software using the links below.
- Launch the downloaded utility and follow its prompts to completely remove the anti-malware application from your system.
- Reboot your PC.
- Try performing an update to see if the issue has been solved. After performing the update, you can reinstall your antivirus.