Users experience the error message “DirectX Device Creation Failed” when trying to run the game Warframe on their computers. This is a very common error message and is mostly associated with DirectX components not installed properly on your computer.
Warframe is hosted by the gaming platform Steam. In some cases, you will be able to play other games through the streaming giant with the only Warframe giving errors. The majority of the people who experience this error message have dedicated graphics installed on their computers.
What causes the error message “DirectX Device Creation Failed” on Warframe?
This error message mostly relates to problems with the graphics card or your DirectX installation. The reasons why this error message occurs are but not limited to:
- Your system is choosing the integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics on your computer.
- Your graphics drivers are either not updated to the latest build or are corrupt.
- DirectX might not be installed properly on your computer or might be missing modules.
Before you start following the solutions, make sure that you have an active internet connection along with administrative access on your computer. You can also verify the integrity of game files using the Steam client. This might help in eliminating issues with incomplete or improper game files.
Simple Workaround: Restart your computer completely and check if that fixes the issue. If not, you can proceed with the guide below.
Solution 1: Installing DirectX through Runtime Web installer
DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces that helps games in several video and rendering purposes. It has been used by numerous applications over the years and is an integral part of any good game. If the program isn’t installed properly or has missing modules, you might experience the error message under discussion. We need to reinstall DirectX from the official Microsoft website.
- Navigate to the official Microsoft website and download the installer from there.
- After downloading the file to an accessible location, run the executable with administrator privileges and install DirectX. If it is already installed, consider doing a proper reinstall in case any modules are missing.
- Restart your computer and check if the error message is resolved.
Solution 2: Choosing Dedicated Graphics
If you have a dedicated graphics card installed on your computer, there might be a case where the integrated graphics are chosen instead of the dedicated ones. This might cause issues in launching any game since it might be expecting the dedicated graphics but might only be able to access the inbuilt one.
- Right-click on any empty space on your screen and select the “Nvidia control panel.”
- Click “Manage 3D settings” and select “High-performance NVIDIA processor”.
- Press Apply to save changes and exit. Now check if the problem got solved.
Solution 3: Updating Graphics Drivers
If both the above methods don’t work, it probably means that your graphics drivers are either not updated to the latest build or are corrupt. Outdated graphics drivers are one of the major causes of games not launching properly and this case falls in the same category.
In this solution, you have to update both graphics drivers i.e. in-built drivers (Intel HD or UHD) and dedicated drivers.
- Press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Once in the device manager, expand the category of Display adapters, right-click on the graphics hardware and select Update driver.
- Now you have two options. Either you can make use of Windows update so it might install the latest drivers automatically or you can manually navigate to the manufacturer’s website and choose the second option after downloading the file.
- Restart your game properly after updating the drivers and check if the error message is resolved.