Some Windows users are encountering the error code 403 (The usage level has exceeded the max volume allowed) when trying to install and activate Malwarebytes on a fresh installation of Windows. This issue is mostly reported to occur with PC configurations that have new motherboards.
After investigating this particular issue, it turns out that there are several different underlying causes that will produce this error code. Here’s a list of potential culprits that might be responsible for this issue:
- Malwarebytes license is incorrect – One of the most common causes of this particular error code is a type in relation to the license key. To make sure that’s not the case, ensure that you haven’t replaced ‘0’ with ‘O’ or ‘1’ with ‘I’ by mistake.
- Malwarebytes license device number is exceeded – It’s also possible to encounter the 403 error code when trying to activate your current version of Malwarebytes because your current subscription doesn’t support an extra device. In this case, you should check your current subscription and ensure that it supports an extra device. If it doesn’t you can resolve the issue by removing a device from the subscription.
- Exceeded or fixed preset limit – According to some affected users, this problem can also occur due to a problem with the action or reactivation account of your subscription plan. If none of the other fixes in this article will allow you to resolve the issue, your last resort might need to be opening a ticket with Malwarebytes and waiting until they activate the license remotely.
Now that you are intimately aware of every potential cause that might be responsible for the apparition of this error code, here’s a list of verified methods that other affected users have successfully used to fix the issue:
Method 1: Ensure that your Malwarebytes license is Correct
First things first, you should start by making sure you are not trying to activate your license on more computers than your license allows.
Keep in mind that currently (at the time of writing this article) Malwarebytes offers 2 different tiers for their licenses. The cheapest type of license is only usable for 1 device and the more expensive one can be used for 5 different devices simultaneously.
If you’re not exactly sure what type of license you own, you can view and manage your current subscriptions by logging into the My Account Profile. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Open your default browser and log in with your account on the Malwarebytes Create My Account profile page.
- Once you’re inside the sign In screen, insert the email and password to successfully log in with your account.
- After you have successfully signed in, access the Subscriptions tab from the ribbon bar at the top, then check the type of license you own and the current usage of it.
If the investigation above have allowed you to confirm that your license key is still usable on a new computer, the next thing you should do is ensure that you are entering the correct alphanumeric characters in the correct format
Note: Ensure that you DO NOT swap 0 with – or 1 with I and ensure that you do not add extra spaces where it’s not necessary.
Method 2: Install the Latest Version of Malwarebytes
If you’re encountering this issue while you attempt to activate your MBAP Pro license on a local computer, you should ensure that you are running the latest version of Malwarebytes.
Several affected users that were dealing with this issue have reported that the error code 403 was resolved entirely after they have uninstalled the current version of Malwarebytes and installed the latest available build from the official channels.
Keep in mind that your current MBAP Pro installation might be having issues activating your license key because the activation server is refusing the connection.
If this scenario is applicable, follow the instructions below to uninstall your current version of Malwarebytes and install the latest from the official download page:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Next, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ inside the text box and press Enter to open up the Programs and Features menu. If you’re prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), click Yes to grant admin access.
- Once you’re inside the Programs and Features menu, scroll down through the list of installed programs and locate your Malwarebytes installation. When you see it, right-click on it and choose Uninstall to complete the process.
- Inside the uninstallation screen, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation of Malwarebytes, then restart your computer and wait for the next startup to complete.
- After your computer boots back up, access the official download page of Malwarebytes and download the latest build of the tool you are attempting to activate.
- Once the download is complete, double-click on the installer that you’ve just downloaded, then follow the on-screen prompts to install the latest build of Malwarebytes.
After installation of the latest version of Malwarebytes is complete, attempt to activate the license once again and see if the problem is now fixed.
In case the same problem is still occurring, move down to the next potential fix below.
Method 3: Contact Malwarebytes Support
A 403 error code is almost always related to an activation or reactivation count, most commonly due to an exceeded or fixed preset limit. According to most affected users, this will occur regardless of casualization and will require some degree of manual intervention from a support agent in order to be resolved.
If none of the methods above worked for you, the last thing you should attempt to do is to email Malwarebytes support and giving them your license details and error information along with a relevant screenshot.
If you see the ‘Usage level has exceeded the max volume allowed‘ error even if you previously made sure that your current Malwarebytes subscription still has room to accommodate new users, chances are you’re dealing with an issue that can only be resolved by the official support team.
You can get in contact with Malwarebytes support using the official contact page here.
When opening a support ticket, you must include the below information inside the description box:
- Purchaser name
- Date of purchase
- Email ID using which the purchase has been made or license information has been sent to
- Cleverbrige reference number
- License Key
Typically, you will probably need to wait for over 24 to get our reply. But once the verification is complete, Malwarebytes support has the ability to activate your license reportedly which you’d resolved the issue.