Very often you would need to delete specific files of your system, some of them you downloaded and others were placed automatically either by newly installed software, or as temporary files when visiting websites or using certain applications.
When trying to delete these files you could possibly encounter errors stating that the files is being used, or that you don’t have permissions to delete them, or sometimes even error codes that are difficult to understand to the regular user. These methods will allow you to delete most files that are not allowing you, but specifically those that show the error 0x80004002: no such interface supported
To solve this we just need to make sure that the file is not being used by any other process, and that you have the right permissions to delete it.
Method 1: Delete the file in safe mode
- For Windows 7: Restart your computer and repeatedly tap F8 until you see the Advanced Boot Menu. If you do not see this menu, start over again and repeatedly tap F8 key on your keyboard until you see this. When you see this select Safe Mode with Networking. You will be able to login into safe mode fine.
On the Advanced Boot Menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys on your keyboard. Hit Enter to start computer in Safe Mode with Networking. The picture below shows Safe Mode only, but you need to select “Safe Mode with Networking”
- For Windows 8/10: click (here)
- Once your system has successfully started in Safe Mode, select the file you want to delete, and do so. After the file has been deleted, reboot PC back into normal mode.
Method 2: Reset Internet settings to delete temporary files
- Start the PC in safe mode by following the steps provided in Method 1.
- Once booted, hold the Windows Key and press R.
- Type down inetcpl.cpl and click OK.
- Select the advanced tab and click on the Reset
- Check the box that says Delete Personal Settings (this will delete any toolbar, username or passwords, search providers and others), and click on Reset.
- After the reset, you should be able to delete the file.