Since the appearance of FIFA 22, players have encountered a few errors while playing the game. Although this game has far fewer issues than previous iterations, some of the most annoying and common issues are stutter and lag problems that occur on configurations that should have no issues running the game.
Because there are many reports of these problems, we’ve done a deep investigation of these issues and come up with a shortlist with all the culprits that might trigger these issues to appear:
- Graphics too high – These issues might be caused by the graphics settings of the game and the resolution of it because they are set too high for your PC to support. You can fix this by lowering the settings and setting the game’s resolution to your monitor resolution.
- Frame-rate is not locked – As it turns out, if you’re using an SLI or a different dual GPU setup, you can expect some degree of stuttering when playing FIFA if you have the framerate unlocked. To resolve this problem, you’ll need to lock the framerate at 60 FPS from the Settings menu of the game.
- Triple Buffering and Vertical sync error – Some players report the lag and stutter issues can be also caused by the triple buffering and the vertical sync features that you can find in the Nvidia Control Panel. This can be fixed by going into the Nvidia Control Panel, and disabling the features for FIFA 22.
- Incorrect DirectX version is used – Depending on your GPU model and Windows version, you might expect to see this issue as your graphics card is trying to use the newest DirectX version while sacrificing stability. In this case, you can make the game more stable by editing the Fifa Setup file and forcing the game to use the first DirectX choice.
- Outdated graphics card drivers – These FIFA 22 problems might be also caused by your GPU that is using an outdated driver, not letting the game work properly. To fix this, you need to access the Device Manager and let it automatically search and install for a newer driver, or you can use your manufacturer application and search for the latest updates for your GPU.
- Temporary files issue – Another motive that might cause these problems is that the hidden temporary files from AppData are not letting the game work as they should because the driver where they are located is full or there is another problem. To fix this you need to move the temporary files from the driver they are installed into another driver with more free space.
Now that you are aware of all the possible causes that might trigger these issues to appear, here is a list of all the methods that we’ve managed to find that will help you fix the stutter and lag problems for FIFA 22:
1. Set Resolution to Monitor Resolution and adjust graphic settings
The first thing to do when troubleshooting this FIFA 22 issue on PC is to set the game’s resolution depending on your monitor resolution and adjust the graphics setting to make sure that they are not too high for your computer to support. FIFA 22 might lag and stutter because your PC doesn’t support settings this high.
In case you don’t know how to change the resolution of the game to your monitor resolution, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the FIFA Launcher and click on the Game Settings.
- Now inside the Game Settings, go under where it says Resolution and adjust it depending on your monitor’s resolution.
- After that, go below to the Rendering Quality and lower the setting, then go to the MSAA Options and adjust it as well to see if this was causing the stutter and lag issues.
- Now click on Ok to save the settings and launch the game to see you still encounter the same problems.
If the game is still lagging and stuttering, go to the next method to see how you can fix it.
2. Lock the frame rate to 60 FPS
A few players have managed to fix the lag and stuttering error by locking the frame rate to 60 FPS, instead of letting it set to no limit on fps.
By doing this, the game won’t go over 60fps, letting it run smooth and eliminating the risk of frame drops.
Note: This is reportedly effective in situations where you’re using SLI and other types of dual-GPU setups.
If you don’t know how to do this, follow the next instructions:
- Open the FIFA Launcher and go to the Game Settings.
- Inside the Game Settings, go to the Frame Rate and change the setting from No Limit on fps to Lock to 60 FPS to not let the FPS go over 60.
- After that, click on Ok to save the changes and close the FIFA Launcher, then test the game to see if the issues still occur.
In case this method wasn’t helpful, go to the next one below.
3. Edit FIFA Setup Text File
If the two methods above didn’t work in your case, another fix that you can try to fix these issues is to edit the FIFA set up text file from the Document folder. You will need to edit the DIRECTX_SELECT to 1.
Note: This setting will ensure that the game utilizes the appropriate DirectX versions according to your hardware capabilities.
Follow the next guide to see how to edit the FIFA set up text file, in case you don’t know how to do that:
- Open the File Explorer and locate the Documents folder, then open it.
- Now access the FIFA 22 folder and click on the configuration settings file named fifasetup.
- Inside the fifasetup file, go to where it says DIRECTX_SELECT and change the 0 to 1.
- After doing that, press CTRL + S to save the changes, then close the file and launch FIFA 22 to see if this method has fixed your issues.
If this method didn’t fix your problems as well, try the next method below.
4. Disable Triple Buffering and Vertical sync
Many affected users have reported that they managed to fix the lag and stuttering issues by disabling the triple buffering and the vertical sync from the Nvidia Control Panel.
Note: Triple buffering consists of an additional back buffer created that allows the GPU to continue drawing frames while it waits for the monitor to perform a refresh, while the vertical sync synchronizes your game’s frame rate with your monitor’s refresh rate.
Here are the steps on how to disable the triple buffering and vertical sync, in case you don’t know how to do that:
- You need to start by opening the Nvidia Control Panel from the hidden icon menu located in your taskbar.
- After you are inside the Nvidia Control Panel, click on Manage 3D settings, then click on Program Settings.
- Now click on the Add button and through the list of applications, search for the fifa22.exe and select it, then click on Add Selected Program.
Note: Make sure that you select the fifa22.exe, and not the FIFA Launcher.
- After that, through the list of settings for this program that you will find below, scroll to the bottom of it until you find the Triple buffering option, then set it at Off. Now change the Vertical sync option to Adaptive (half refresh rate).
- When you’re done with that, click on Apply to save the changes and launch the game to test it.
Go to the following method if this one hasn’t fixed your lag and stuttering issues.
5. Install the latest available GPU drivers
Your FIFA 22 game might also lag and stutter because your GPU is using some outdated drivers (this is applicable for both Nvidia and AMD GPUs).
You can update the GPU drivers by relying on Device Manager to update them automatically, or you can use the proprietary updating applications.
In case you don’t know how to do this, here are the steps you need to follow to update your Nvidia or AMD GPU drivers:
- Press the Windows key + R to open a Run dialog box and type ’devmgmt.msc’ inside of it and press Enter to open the Device Manager menu.
- After you are inside the Device Manager, find the Display Adapters by scrolling through the list of installed devices, then expend the drop-down menu.
- Then right-click on the dedicated GPU that you’re using when launching the game and click on Update driver from the menu that has appeared on your screen.
- Now click on Search automatically for drivers and wait for the initial scan to complete, then follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
- After the new updates are installed, reboot your PC and test the game to see if you still encounter the same issues when the computer boots back on.
- In case Device Manager wasn’t able to install a newer driver version, you can use the proprietary software according to your GPU manufacturer to make sure that you’re using the latest driver version available. Use the following manufacturer application according to your graphics card:
GeForce Experience - Nvidia Adrenalin - AMD
- If newer updates are discovered with this 3rd party utility, restart your PC and then test the game to see if your issues were fixed.
If neither of these methods has helped you fix your issues, go check the last method below.
6. Move the temp folder of FIFA 2022
One last method you can try to fix your lag and stuttering problems is to move the temp folder of FIFA 2022 to a different partition. By doing this, you will free up some space and will make the issues disappear. But before you do this, you need to adjust the TEMP environment variable.
Note: You should choose this method instead of simply deleting the temp folder since you can easily revert it in case it’s not effective.
Here is the guide that will help you do that, in case you don’t know the steps:
- Use the taskbar search option and type System, then open it.
- Inside the System menu, click on Advanced system settings to open the System Properties.
- After you are inside the System Properties menu, select the Advanced tab, then click on Environment Variables located at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you are inside the Environment Variables, select the TEMP variable, then click on Edit.
- Now click on Browse File and select the location where you want to move the TEMP file. In case you don’t have a file, create one, select it and click on OK.
- After that, do exactly the same thing with the TMP variable and move it to the same location as the TEMP variable.
- Once you’ve done that, you need to delete the old FIFA 22 folder located in :\Users\ —– \AppData\Local\Temp\FIFA 22.
- Now reboot your PC and when it boots back, test FIFA 22 to see if you still encounter the same issues.