Many Windows 7 users have reported experiencing an issue where they receive an error message stating “DWM.exe has stopped working and has been closed”, along with a few other details, either after every few minutes or whenever they switch to their desktop or open a Windows Explorer window. On the computers affected by this issue, the problem even carried over to Windows 10 when users upgraded to the latest and greatest version of the Windows Operating System.
While DWM is a legitimate Windows program, this error message is almost always caused by a virus that, in most cases, creates a phony DWM.exe file somewhere in the C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp directory, and this leads to the user receiving the “DWM.exe has stopped working” error message every now and then. Fortunately, you can fix this problem and no longer receive the “DWM.exe has stopped working” error message. The following are the two most effective solutions that you can use to fix this issue:
Solution 1: Remove the virus using Baidu Antivirus
Antivirus programs – especially Baidu Antivirus – are designed to be able to do a lot more than simply prevent computers from being contracting viruses and safeguard them from other security threats. One of the most amazing capabilities that most antivirus programs have is the ability to scan a computer for viruses and security threats and then eliminate any and all security risks that they discover.
All you need to do is go here, download Baidu Antivirus, run the antivirus program, scan your computer for viruses and allow Baidu Antivirus to get rid of all the viruses that it finds, including the virus responsible for the “DWM.exe has stopped working” error message. In the event that this solution doesn’t fix the problem, you should move on and try the next one.
Solution 2: Eliminate all traces of the virus using various programs
This solution is a much more aggressive and comprehensive solution to the “DWM.exe has stopped working” error message.
- Go here and download, install and run Malwarebytes – an anti-malware program that is capable of finding every virus, Trojan and piece of malware on your computer.
- Use Malwarebytes to eliminate every virus, Trojan and piece of malware on your computer.
- Go here and download, install and run Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016.
- Use Bitdefender to search for and delete all quarantined files on your computer.
- Go here and download, install and run Temp File Cleaner (TFC).
- Use Temp File Cleaner to clean out all of the unnecessary temporary files on your computer.