Whilst the latest iOS 10.0.2 update has a few useful features, it doesn’t come without it’s bugs. If you’ve found an issue with the latest version of iOS and would like to downgrade from iOS 10.0.2, follow the guide provided below.
Please be aware that for this guide you’ll need access to a PC or Mac and a data cable for your iOS device.
There are two steps for this guide. The first step will be to prepare the software you’ll need for the downgrade and the second step will be to initiate the downgrade. Whilst this guide is designed for iOS 10.0.2 users, similar steps can be taken to downgrade from any other version of iOS.
1. Preparing the Software
To begin with, you’ll need to download iTunes onto your Mac or PC. Once you have iTunes downloaded, or if you already have it downloaded, you’ll now need to ensure that your version of iTunes is up to date. Follow the steps below to update iTunes
- Open iTunes and click Help
- Click ‘Check for Updates…’
- If a new version is available, follow the instructions to install the new update
Once you have tested to make sure your iTunes is up to date you can start to prepare the downgrade.
Firstly, make sure all of your important files are backed up.
Please be aware that if you’d like to downgrade to a version of iOS 9, you’ll not be able to use iCloud for backup. In this case, it’s best to use a separate backup option, or save your important files and photos onto your PC, before downgrading.
If you’d like to downgrade to an earlier version of iOS 10, such as 10.0.1, you can still use iCloud to backup your iPhone data.
After you have backed up your important files and photos you can look for the IPSW file for the version of iOS you’d like to downgrade to. You can find verified IPSW files on ipsw.me. To choose the right iOS version, follow the steps below.
- On the ipsw.me website, choose your product
- Next, choose your device model
- Now choose an IPSW file. Make sure that you choose a signed file (in green writing)
- Once you have clicked the file for your OS version, click to download it
You’ll now be ready to downgrade. Once you’ve completed everything listed above, proceed to step 2.
2. Downgrade from iOS 10.0.2 with the prepared files
To downgrade your iOS device to an earlier version of the software, please follow the steps listed below.
- Connect your iOS device to your PC or Mac with the data cable
- Open iTunes and click the summary page for your iOS device
- Hold the Shift key and click ‘Restore iPhone.’ If you’re on Mac, hold the Option key instead
- Now choose the previously downloaded IPSW file and click Open
- Your device will start to downgrade to an earlier version of iOS
Hopefully this guide has helped you to downgrade to an earlier version of iOS. Please let us know how you did.