Some Battlefield players have been coming across the 0xC0020015 error code while trying to launch Battlefield 2042 on their systems. The error message is not very helpful as it only reads “Unexpected error 0xC0020015“, and so players are left with no idea at all as to what could be causing the issue in questions. As it turns out, the problem in question usually originates due to the interference of a third party application which prevents it from launching properly. Regardless of the cause, in this article, we will be showing you how to resolve the error code mentioned above so just follow through the given guidelines.
As it turns out, Battlefield 2042 has been out now for some time and while the game is working fine for most users now, there are a number of issues that plague the game as well such as Battlefield 2042 crashing. If you are unable to launch the game and are shown the 0xC0020015 error code, then it is mostly because the game is not being allowed to start up normally. This happens when the game process does not have the required permissions to initiate or a third party application in the background is interfering with it. Such behavior is usually caused by a third party antivirus program that you might have installed on your system.
With that said, let us get started and show you the different methods that you can use to resolve the issue in question without any further ado.
Run Battlefield 2042 as Administrator
The first thing that you should do when you encounter the error code in question is to run the game as an administrator. By doing this, the game will have all of the permissions required in order to start properly without any issues. This can often resolve several issues with the game where it fails to launch properly. To launch the game as an administrator, follow the instructions that are given down below:
- First of all, open up the File Explorer window.
- Once you have done that, navigate to the folder where Battlefield 2042 is installed.
- After that, right click on the BF file provided and from the drop down menu, choose the Properties option.
- On the Properties window, switch to the Compatibility tab.
- There, tick the Run this program as an administrator option.
- After that, do the same for the BF2042_launcher file provided as well.
- Once you have done that, go ahead and try launching the game again to see if the problem still occurs.
Disable Spybot Live Protection
As it turns out, most users have been experiencing the problem in question because of a certain feature that comes with Spybot. Spybot – Search and Destroy is essentially an antivirus software that keeps your computer safe from malware and other unwanted adware. It comes with a live protection feature that scans every app on your computer before they are started.
According to user reports, the issue originated for them because Spybot was scanning the game before it started which caused it to throw up the error code. As such, to resolve the issue, you will have to disable live protection in Spybot. To do this, follow the instructions that have been given down below:
- To start off, go ahead and open up Spybot as an administrator. You can do this by searching for it in the Start Menu and then clicking the Run as administrator option provided on the right hand side.
- Once Spybot is open, click on the Live Protection status provided in the Start Center.
- This will take you to the Live Protection Settings window.
- There, go ahead and untick the Scan programs before they start checkbox and then click the Deactivate Live Protection button. Follow it up by clicking the Apply button and then hit OK.
- Once you have done that, go ahead and launch the game again to see if the problem still persists.
Perform a Clean Boot
Finally, if the above methods have not fixed the problem for you, then it is very likely that a different third party application, that might be specific to your case, can be interfering with the game process. To verify this suspicion, you can perform a clean boot which essentially starts your PC with only the required services running in the background. This means that all of the other third party services and apps are blocked on startup.
If the problem goes away after you perform a clean boot, it will be evident that the issue is being caused by a third party service. In such a scenario, you can figure out the culprit by simply turning on the services one by one. Follow the instructions given down below to perform a clean boot:
- First of all, open up the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R on your keyboard.
- Then, in the Run dialog box, type in msconfig and then hit the Enter key.
- This will open up the System Configuration window. There, switch to the Services tab.
- After that, go ahead and tick the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox provided.
- Follow this up by clicking the Disable all button and then click Apply.
- After doing that, switch to the Startup tab and there click the Open Task Manager option.
- On the Task Manager window, select all of the apps one by one and then click the Disable button provided at the bottom right corner.
- Once you have done that, go ahead and restart your PC.
- After your PC boots up, try launching the game to see if the error code still appears.