The majority of users are accessing Youtube directly from their browser. However, the streaming service is also available for Smart TVs and other streaming platforms as well, but it needs to be activated using Youtube.com/activate.
What is YouTube TV?
YouTube is an American online streaming television platform owned by Google. It can be used on almost every device that is connected to the internet and features more than 85 television networks including the Big Four broadcast networks and PBS (this will vary depending on the market).
There’s no doubt that YouTube is an amazing platform that offers a wide range of shows. You can find pretty much anything on YouTube ranging from action and entertainment to family-friendly educational content. But all of these shows are even better when they are on the big screen like your big 34 inches LED TV.
Watching a YouTube show on a big TV screen definitely makes the experience much better when compared to a computer or laptop screen.
What Streaming platforms will support Youtube?
YouTube is available for streaming platforms, video game consoles, and Smart TVs such as Roku, Kodi, iOS, Android, PlayStation (3, 4, and 5), Xbox (360, One, Series), Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, LG Smart TV, and Samsung Smart TV.
The process of activating your YouTube on the devices isn’t complicated at all. But since there are many different devices that you can use, the way you activate YouTube varies from device to device.
To make matters easier for you, we’ve put together a series of guides that will show you how to activate YouTube on the following streaming devices:
- PlayStation (3, 4, and 5)
- Xbox (360, One, Series)
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- LG Smart TV
- Samsung Smart TV
Activating YouTube on Roku
Activating YouTube on Roku devices is pretty easy and only takes a few minutes to set up. Once your YouTube is activated, you can easily watch shows on YouTube TV on your very own TV screen.
You basically need to sign in to your account from youtube.com/activate and enter a digit that you receive on your streaming device.
Follow one of the guides below (the one applicable to the streaming device that you’re using) to activate YouTube via Youtube.com/activate:
- Open the home screen of Roku by pressing the home button.
- Inside the home screen, navigate with your remote to the search option, access it, and search for YouTube.
- From the list of available suggestions, select YouTube TV, then press on Add channel.
- When the installation is complete, tap on Go to Channel.
- Inside the app, go to the Account icon in the bottom left corner and press on Sign in.
- Next, enter your Google or YouTube account information if requested.
- Once you see the activation code appearing, note it down somewhere.
- After that, on your computer or mobile device, access Youtube.com/activate and write the code, then press on Next.
- Finally, Youtube will be activated on your Roku device. You should see the page refreshing as you are given access.
Activate YouTube on Kodi
Kodi is a very useful software that is used for media playing and can be installed on a smart TV as well.
Activating YouTube on your Kodi is a little complicated but not impossible. It is the same as other platforms because you will be using the same link which is youtube.com/activate but you will have to perform some extra steps before that.
Here’s what you need to do to activate YouTube on your Streaming device:
- Start by locating the Add-ons tabs in the left-side list, then select it.
- Next, click on the opened box icon from the same left-hand side menu.
- Next, from the dedicated menu that just appeared, select Install from repository, then tap on Video add-ons.
- Now you need to locate YouTube in the list of available add-ons. After that, select it and press Install.
- Once the installation is finally complete, open YouTube.
- Once the app is opened, tap on Sign in, and a code will appear on your screen. Note it somewhere.
- Now access Youtube.com/activate from your computer or mobile device, then enter the activation code.
- Press Next, then proceed with the activation.
Activate YouTube on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series S / X
Activating YouTube on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and the next-gen versions (Xbox Series S / X) is very similar to Playstation activation. Once you go to the YouTube app and try to connect it, it will give you a code that you will have to enter at youtube.com/activate.
Locate and open your YouTube App from Xbox One. If this is your first time, then you should enter your Google account information to sign in.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Microsoft Store, search for YouTube and install it, then open it.
- Once you’re inside the app, navigate to Sign in, and select it.
- A code should appear on your screen, note it somewhere at hand.
- Access Youtube.com/activate from your personal computer or mobile device and insert your activation code, then proceed with the action.
- Now YouTube should be activated on your Xbox console.
Activate YouTube on Chromecast
Activating YouTube on Chromecast is not necessary, since the authorization will be handled directly by your mobile device from where you initiate the casting from.
If you have a Chromecast device, you’ll be pleased to know streaming YouTube content from it is the easiest method out of this bunch.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure that both your Chromecast and mobile device are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- From your device, open YouTube and look for the Cast button, then tap on it.
- From the list of available devices, choose your Chromecast.
- the YouTube video or show should begin streaming on your big TV screen shortly.
Note: You don’t need to activate YouTube because you are streaming the content from your mobile device.
Activate YouTube on Apple TV
Activating YouTube on Apple TV is also pretty straightforward. The Youtube activation approach on Apple TV approach will be the same as other similar streaming devices like Roku or Android TV where we will enter the code by going to the youtube.com/activate link.
Follow the complete steps for activating YouTube below:
- Using your remote, navigate to the Home screen and search for the App Store, then select it.
- Search for YouTube, select it, and press on Get to install the app.
- After the app is installed, open it and tap on Sign in, and a code should appear on your screen.
- Open Youtube.com/activate from your computer or mobile device, then insert the code.
- Once you hit the Next button and inserted the correct activation code, you should see how the YouTube app reloads on your Apple TV as your account is activated on the streaming device.
Activate YouTube on Amazon Fire TV
If you’re trying to activate YouTube on Amazon Fire TV, you should know that the first thing you’ll need to do is download the dedicated app. Once the app is downloaded locally, you need to sign in with a web browser in order to be prompted to activate YouTube for this particular streaming device.
Follow the instructions below for step-by-step guidance:
- Open your Fire TV device and access the Google Play Store from the home menu.
- After that, search for YouTube, then select it from the list of apps.
- After you are inside the app, download and install the app.
- After the app is installed, press Open to launch YouTube.
- Inside the app, press on Sign in with a web browser, and a code will appear on your screen.
- Access Youtube.com/activate from your computer and insert the code given to you before.
- Once you hit Next, turn your attention to your Fire TV dongle. You should see how the YouTube app refreshes as the app is authorized.
Activate YouTube on Android TV
If you plan on streaming YouTube content on an Android TV, I have good news – Since Android is also developed by Google, you won’t be required to activate via an activation code as you would normally need to on other Smart TV operating systems.
Here’s how simple it’s to activate YouTube on Android TV:
- From your Home screen, search for the YouTube app and select it.
- After the app is launched, go to Settings and select Add account.
- When you’re prompted to do so, sign in to your Google account following the given instructions.
- Once you successfully logged in, you can start watching your favorite content.
Activate YouTube on LG Smart TV
If you’re using an LG Smart TV that’s using its own proprietary OS (not Android TV), you will need to start the activation process by accessing the LG Content Store and downloading the dedicated Youtube app.
Next, once the app is downloaded locally, you’ll need to get fetch the activation code and activate it on youtube.com/activate.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to do this:
- From the home screen of your LG Smart TV, use your remote to open the LG Content Store.
- After you are inside the LG Content Store, navigate to Apps and tap on it.
- Once you’re inside the Apps tab, locate the YouTube app, then access the dedicated listing and tap on Install to download and install the app locally.
- After the installation is complete, open the app and select the login options and a code will appear on your screen.
- From your computer or mobile device, visit Youtube.com/activate and insert the code, then proceed.
- After a couple of seconds, YouTube will be activated on your LG Smart TV.
Activate YouTube on Samsung Smart TV
If you have a Samsung Smart TV with its own proprietary operating system, keep in mind that you should already have the YouTube app on the home screen. All you need to do is fetch the code and then activate the Samsung TV as a streaming device on Youtube.com/activate
Here’s what you need to do:
- From your Samsung Smart TV, open the YouTube app.
- Using the remote, navigate to Sign in, then select it. Note somewhere the code that appeared on your screen.
- Access Youtube.com/activate using your computer or mobile device, then insert the code and hit Next.
- After a couple of seconds, YouTube will be activated on your Samsung Smart TV.