The error 0x0000042B can be caused by a bad cache, unavailable necessary services, or a corrupt profile. The error prevents users from logging on to the Xbox live network, therefore not letting them play any game they usually play through the Xbox network.
Before getting into the solutions bit, We have gathered several reasons why you can expect this error to occur on windows 10 or 11. Here’s a brief list of issues and culprits that might be the root cause of you facing this problem:
- Disabled essential services- Several services run in the background to provide users with a smooth front-end experience. Similarly, Xbox also requires several services to function correctly to provide flawless delivery of their services. In a case where a service is malfunctioning, it might lead to errors such as the one in the discussion.
- Corrupt Cache- Another evident cause to users facing this issue can be a corrupt cache file. In such a case, you should be able to quickly fix this error by removing the corrupted cache files.
- Corrupt Xbox Application- It is possible that the problem lies within the Xbox application files. This can be easily fixed by reinstalling the application.
- Unstable System Files- Windows system files can become unstable for several reasons; in such a case, it is advised to run an SFC or DISM scan to bring back the unstable files to a stable state of performance.
1. Repair and Reset the Xbox Application
If the problem lies within the application files, it can be fixed by simply repairing and resetting the Xbox store inside of the windows settings. The below-mentioned steps can be applied to both windows 10 and 11. Follow these straightforward steps to repair and reset the Xbox store.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the windows start menu and search Xbox.
- Right-Click on Xbox and click on App settings.
- Scroll down, under the Reset heading. Click on the Repair button.
- Wait for a while for it to finish processing.
- Once done, Press the Reset button. Similarly, wait for a while.
2. Repair and Reset the Microsoft Store
Since the Xbox application is also a Microsoft service, which means both of these applications are interlinked. It is possible that a problem in your Microsoft store is causing you to face such issues on your Xbox application. Follow these steps to Repair and reset the Microsoft Store:
- Press the Windows Key on your keyboard to open the windows start menu, and in the search bar, type Microsoft store.
- Right-Click on Microsoft store and click on App settings.
- Similar to the previous step, Click on Repair and Reset one after the other.
- After that, Try launching the Xbox application.
After that, try launching the Xbox application. If the problem still persists, continue to the next step.
3. Restart essential services
Several vital services run in the background to provide users with smooth end-to-end delivery of content. If either of these services is malfunctioning, it could cause the whole Xbox application could cause errors. Follow these straightforward steps to Restart these services:
- Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box. In the run dialog box, type CMD.
- Now, Paste the following commands to restart the essential Xbox services.
net stop iphlpsvc net start iphlpsvc net stop XblAuthManager net start XblAuthManager net stop wuauserv net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop XboxGipSvc net start XboxGipvc net stop InstallService net start InstallService
- Once all the services have been restarted, close the command prompt.
Try launching the Xbox gaming application; if the problem still persists, continue to the next step.
4. Make Sure you are Logged into Same account
Microsoft-provided services are interlinked closely, and a mismatch in accounts logged on both platforms could lead to such an error. Follow these simple steps to log in to both the Microsoft store and the Xbox gaming application with a mutual account:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the start menu, and in the search box, type Microsoft store and open the Microsoft store.
- Now, Click on the profile icon located on the top-right of the screen, as shown in the image below
- Click on Sign out.
- After you have signed out, Click on the profile icon and sign into any account.
- Similarly, Repeat the same procedure on your Xbox gaming application.
Once you have logged into both applications with a mutual account, try launching the Xbox application.
6. Configure Region and time zone
It has been discovered that a mismatch of region and time zone in relevance to your geographical location could lead to such issues on services provided by Microsoft. It is due to Microsoft’s operations, Microsoft-provided services save data with time linked to it, and it could cause confusion if your region and time zone mismatch. Follow these straightforward steps to configure your time zone correctly:
- On the bottom-right of your screen, Right-click on where time is present, as shown in the image below.
- Click on Adjust Date and time.
- Now, Toggle the Set time automatically switch to ON.
- Similarly, toggle the Set time zone automatically switch to on.
- Now, Click on Sync now.
- After you have configured the date and time correctly, Click on Time and language located on the left side of your screen, as shown in the image.
- Click on Language and region.
- Now under the region heading, Select your country.
Once done, restart the Xbox application.
7. Uninstall and Reinstall the Xbox gaming services
It is possible that the current version of the Xbox gaming services installed on your computer is either corrupt or isn’t performing correctly due to several reasons. In such cases, it is advised to reinstall the lacking service simply. Follow these simple steps to uninstall and reinstall the gaming services.
- Open the windows start menu, and in the start menu search bar, type Powershell. Right-click on powershell and Run it as administrator.
- Paste the following command inside of the Powershell’s command line terminal to uninstall the currently installed Xbox gaming services
get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
- Once pasted, Hit the Enter key to uninstall the gaming services.
- After that, paste the following command to Install the latest version of the Xbox gaming services
- Pasting the above-mentioned command will lead you to a webpage or a Microsoft store download page. Click on Get to initialise the installation procedure.
Once installed, Restart your computer.
8. Delete Xbox live Login Credentials
Deleting the Xbox Live login credentials will allow us to start fresh on the log in front. Users have reported this to fix similar errors for them. Follow these steps to delete the Xbox live login credentials:
- Press the Windows key to open the windows start menu, and in the start menu search bar, type Credential manager and click on it to open it.
- Click on Windows credentials and locate Xbl|DeviceKey & Xbl|GrtsDeviceKey.
- After that, Click on the remove button as shown in the image below.
Once done, Reboot your computer and try launching the Xbox application.
9. Uninstall and Reinstall the Xbox Application
If applying the fixes mentioned above has not fixed the problem for you, it is better at this point to uninstall and reinstall the Xbox gaming application. Follow these steps to do so:
- Press the Windows key and search Xbox in the start menu search bar. Right-Click on the Xbox and click on Uninstall program.
- Now, Click on Uninstall again. Once uninstalled, reboot your computer to finalize the uninstallation procedure.
- After you have restarted your computer, Click here to Download the Xbox application.
- Proceed with the straightforward download and install procedure.
10. Update Windows
The reason you are facing this error might be due to an outdated or unstable version of windows installed on your computer. Experts advise users to keep their windows system up-to-date to avoid any inconvenience. Follow these steps to Check for updates:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the start menu, and in the start menu, search bar type Check for updates.
- Now, Click on Check for Updates. Windows will automatically detect any updates and automatically update your computer to the latest version of windows.
Once Updated, Try launching the Xbox Application.