Windows Hello allows users to Sign-In using their face through the webcam. However, if the feature stops working all of a sudden then this can be a serious problem for some users. When users try to Sign-In they get the error We couldn’t find a camera compatible with Windows Hello face. This usually means that your camera is not compatible with Windows Hello face anymore. Before proceeding to the solutions make sure you try these workarounds on your computer.
- If you are using Windows Hello Face for the first time, restart your computer
- Make sure you do not have any pending Windows updates
Method 1: Install Windows Hello Face Driver
You need to make sure that you have installed the Windows Hello Face driver on your computer. If you already did you can reinstall it by going to the following path. Some users reported to have two different drivers in their Face Driver folder and installing both the drivers worked for them. Please see the below steps
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following path:
- You will see two files, HellFace.inf and HelloFaceMigration.inf
- Make sure you right-click on both of them and install these drivers
- Now restart your computer and see if this problem has been resolved.
Method 2: Reset Windows Biometric Database
In this method, we try to restart the Windows Biometric Database. Resetting ensures that you get rid of all the corrupt data that might be causing the Biometric service to crash.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box
- Type services.msc and click on OK.
- Search for Windows Biometric Service, right-click, and open the service and click on Stop.
- Now navigate to the folder
- Take a backup of all the files by copying these to another folder in another location
- Once you take the backup, delete all the files
- Now start the Windows Biometric Service by following steps 1 to 3 and click Start
- Now again register your face by going to Settings > Accounts, Sign-In Options, and clicking register the Face data again.
Method 3: Rollback Camera Drivers
In this method, we uninstall the latest version of the Webcam and restore the previous version. The reason for doing this is that sometimes the new update does not work well and might have some bugs and instead of improving the functionality, it causes incompatibility issues. The Rollback feature available in the device manager is used in Windows to perform this task.
- Go to Control Panel and click System and then Device Manager
- Find the Webcam and right-click and open the properties
- Select the driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver to Restore it to the previous version