Keyboard Shortcuts help us save time when working on softwares like Microsoft Word. Every software that you use has its own shortcut keys which can be used by you. If you often use Microsoft Word, you might already be aware of some of the keys like the shortcut key for copying and pasting. One of the many formatting tools includes the combination for ‘strikethrough’ which is applied to a certain sentence or a word. You might want to learn this shortcut for Strikethrough as it is a very common feature on Microsoft Word and the next time you want to use it, you might as well use these keys instead of clicking on the icon for strikethrough.
What is Strikethrough
Strikethrough is the line that appears on a word or a sentence that you selected. It gives an impression of a ‘strike’ through the word, and that is the reason why it is called ‘strikethrough’. People usually use this formatting tool to show the reader that this word is not included in the article or just not be considered as important for the reader. For instance, when you Google a few keywords, you will notice that under all the results that appear on the screen, there would be words which have been strikethrough-ed. Here, Google is trying to tell its viewers that this certain result does not include this struck word.
How to Strikethrough a Word or Sentence on Microsoft Word, Wordpress or Other Similar Forums
When you are using a documenting software, like Microsoft Word, Wordpress or Google Docs, you can locate a tab on the top toolbar for all of these programs, which offers the strikethrough option available just one click away. The recognition for this is that it will show you the alphabets ‘abc’ written with a strike literally through the center of the alphabets like
What is the Keyboard Shortcut for Strikethrough
To your surprise, there is no shortcut key for Strikethrough for Microsoft Word by default. However, you can create one by following the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Font dialogue box by clicking on the arrow as shown in the image below.
- A font dialogue box will open. Here, you have to press the keys Ctrl and Alt, both at the same time, which will change the cursor to look something like the command key in an Apple laptop. Once the cursor changes, now you need to click on the checkbox for Strikethrough which will open another box where you can now enter the shortcut keys for strikethrough.
- Enter the keys of your choice which you want to be paired with Ctrl + Alt. I entered Ctrl + Alt + Shift and pressed the Assign tab to confirm this shortcut key.
- I can now use this short key on Microsoft Word whenever I want to strikethrough a text.
- Keyboard Shortcut for WordPress is Shift+Alt+ D. And for Google Docs, it is Alt+Shift+5