EOM is a short abbreviation for ‘End of Message. Mostly used in formal emails for professional environments like an office, or an institute. The purpose of using EOM especially in emailing is to tell the recipient that beyond this point, the email does not have anything important for them to read, indicating directly, that the email has ended right here, where EOM is written.
How Does a Recipient Understand the Use of EOM in an Email?
Let’s use an example that your boss has sent you an email, and the subject line that appears has EOM written right under it, this means that the rest of the email is not very important for you to read. The subject line itself was self-explanatory for you and if you have understood that, there is no need to go ahead with reading the rest of the mail.
If you have come across the abbreviation EOM for the first time than you might not have done what a person who knows what EOM stands for. But since after reading this article you are well aware of the role EOM plays in a professional life, you know exactly what to do when you read another EOM mail.
EOM is Not a New Concept
EOM is not a new idea that has emerged anytime recently but has been a trend ever since the ‘Email’ trend began. EOM is related to emails, so that is how it is assumed that EOM became a trend when the use of email, instead of normal mail, became a more common mode of communication between firms, internally and externally. While there is a huge number of people who are aware of the use of EOM when they get an email from their employee or head, there are others, who might just be as clueless as you about what EOM stands for in an email.
EOM Saves You A Lot of Time
Using EOM in an email saves a lot of time for the reader, which otherwise would have been lost if you were to sit and read the four-page long email, which pretty much was an extended description of what was written in the subject.
People are aware of the time ticking, and how important it is to save time and use it for something more productive. This is the reason why EOM is used by many professionals, to help their employers to save their time, by not reading beyond the EOM written in the email and understand the job that needs to be done through the subject line, which would be more than enough in most of the cases.
However, if, you feel like you have not understood the purpose of the email, you can always ask the person who has emailed you, without hesitating of course. It is very important to be sure of what they are expecting out of you. It is better to be prepared than to redo everything again from scratch if the boss does not like what they see.
Alternate Abbreviation or Phrase for EOM?
EOM, which stands for End of Message, can be exchanged with another phrase, which is SIM, ‘Subject Is Message’. SIM, is a simple explanation of what the recipient should expect out of the email. If you see an email, which has SIM written somewhere at the beginning of the email, mostly it is written right under the subject line, it means that you do not need to go ahead with the reading, and the main body of the message is the subject in itself.
How Does a Recipient Benefit from EOM written in an Email?
A recipient gets to :
- Save time by not reading long emails
- Gets the idea from the subject line which is well explained
- You learn to use EOM in your emails as well
How Does a Sender Benefit from Writing EOM in an Email?
In my opinion, a sender gets to enjoy more benefits of using EOM in their emails than a recipient.
- A sender will learn how to write short self-explanatory emails.
- Short emails will save your time in writing an email.
- More chances of having the reader actually pay attention to your instruction in comparison to the long emails
- Your main idea, that is in the subject, will be conveyed even if the reader does not read the rest of the email that is after EOM
- Your responses would be short as well, saving you more time again.
- Short and to the point emails make the email more impactful.
- The email was about a certain point, so it will be very easy for you to locate the same email again if you have to look for it in later times.
- You can use any gadget for such short emails. You don’t have to sit and pen down everything like you would have if it was a detailed email.