Recently, Microsoft released the feature Windows 10 version 20H2, also known as the “October 2020 Update” for everyone. This is a huge update that includes a number of new features, security improvements, and various bug fixes. The latest feature update version 20H2 offered to all compatible devices via windows update. But recently users have experienced Windows 10 October 2020 Update failed to install. Usually, the system reboots without the upgrade. Some users said that the update gets stuck at 50% or 75% completion and then restarts abruptly. This creates an unfavorable experience for end-users as it directly affects their work.
Before jumping into the methods right away for downgrading Windows, our advice is to go through these comprehensive but promising workarounds that have helped many individuals online. If you still face the issue of missing applications due to upgrading, then jump to the methods to get rid of the problem once and for all. Try the following troubleshooting steps to restore any missing applications:
- Check and make sure that you have a stable internet connection to download Windows update files from the Microsoft server. Sometimes the adapter icon in the system tray may trick you with a false indication of working internet, so beware.
Note: We recommend unplugging & plugging the ethernet cable back in if you are on a LAN connection or disconnecting & reconnecting your Wi-Fi if you are on a WAN connection.
- Set the clock time and calendar date with the internet according to your exact location.
- Temporarily uninstall third-party antivirus if installed on your device and also disconnect from VPN if configured on your device.
- Remove external devices (if any) such as the printer, scanner, audio jack, etc. to prevent driver conflict problems.
- Check System Drive (C:) has enough Free Disk Space to download the update files for install or upgrade purposes.
- Again make sure that all installed applications or drivers are updated and compatible with the current Windows version, especially Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver. You can update them if needed by following:
Open “Device Manager” > Select “Device” > Right-click on it > Select “Update device driver” > Search automatically from the internet.
- A lot of Windows users reported, deleting folder $WINDOWS.~BT in the C: drive, help them fix the windows 10 20H2 update issue.
If none of these promising workarounds have solved your problem, then go through our final solution that involves upgrading to the update under discussion using the Media Creation Tool.
Install Updates Using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
This is the best method to install feature updates to your Windows operating system as this tool upgrades your system in the same way Windows is installed (boot encryption). This proved to be the final solution that works for everyone, concluded from a wide range of positive feedback from the users online. The Media Creation tool, as the name suggests is used for creating the installation media of Windows 10. Media creation tool offers 2 options:
- Downloading the installation media for later use and performing a clean install.
- A more automation option to let the PC upgrade itself.
With this extraordinary Windows 10 creation tool, you can upgrade Windows 10 to its latest version (in this case, to October 20H2 Update) without a hassle and create a Windows 10 installation USB drive/DVD disc to perform a clean install. Follow the steps below to update your Windows through the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool:
- Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool by simply clicking the hyperlink. Once clicked, a download prompt will pop up. Click on Save File to download the file in your Windows downloads.
- After the software is downloaded, right-click on the MediaCreationTool20H2 and select Run as administrator. This will open Media Creation Tool specifically for Update 20H2 run with admin privileges.
- A confirmation window will pop-up, select Yes which will initialize the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool setup window.
- On the “Application notices and license terms” page, select Accept.
- Wait patiently for Media Creation Tool to get a few things ready. Once done, it will take you to the “On the What do you want to do” page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then click Next.
- At this time, the Media Creation Tool will perform a scan of your PC and its Operating System and download some files for the latest updates, suited for your PC. This process may take some time. This time will be dependent upon your PC hardware components and your Network Connection bandwidth. Once the downloading is complete, read the license terms and click Accept to proceed further.
- Wait for Media Creation Tool to check for any further updates. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will again perform a scan on your PC and make sure that it’s ready for the installation process. When you get this page on your screen as shown, you’ll see a recap of what you’ve chosen, and what will be kept through the upgrade. Select Change what to keep.
- This page gives you three options to choose from: Keep personal files and apps, Keep personal files only, or keep Nothing during the upgrade. Make a selection of your choice and click Next to continue.
Note: It is recommended to select the Keep personal files and apps option to not lose any data.
- Close any running applications and when you’re ready, select Install. This will initiate the installation process. This procedure will take some time, wait patiently and do not turn off your PC to avoid any miscellaneous errors.
Note: During the process, your PC will restart several times. Therefore, do not worry.
- Once the process is completed and Windows is normally loaded, you will find out that the latest Windows Updates have been successfully installed on your PC, ultimately eliminating the error under consideration.