Many factors can lead to a fatal error in the game Returnal, with one common culprit being an outdated or incompatible version of DirectX. DirectX is a suite of multimedia APIs integral for handling tasks related to video and game programming. Problems with DirectX versions often result in immediate application or game crashes.
Using an outdated DirectX version is a known issue for users experiencing these fatal errors. Additional factors include running the Steam overlay, setting the graphics too high, or having corrupt game files.
Let’s tackle the fatal error in Returnal with the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Disable Steam Overlay
The Steam overlay provides quick access to various features while in-game but can be resource-intensive, leading to crashes. Disable it by:
- Open Steam and navigate to your Library.
- Right-click on Returnal and select Properties.
- Under the General tab, uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
- Test the game for crashes.
2. Use DirectX 11
Downgrading to DirectX 11 may solve compatibility issues that cause crashes. To switch to DirectX 11:
- Open Steam and go to your Library. Right-click on Returnal and choose Properties.
- In the launch options, input -dx11.
- Relaunch the game and check for improvements.
3. Deactivate Ray Tracing
Though ray tracing enhances realism with light simulation, it can cause crashes. To disable it:
- Start Returnal and open Settings.
- Select Graphics Settings and find Lighting options.
- Turn off Ray-Traced Shadows and Ray-Traced Reflections.
- Check if gameplay stability has improved.
4. Reset GPU Overclocking
Overclocking GPUs can lead to instability. Reset any overclock settings to default:
- Open the overclocking software you used (like MSI Afterburner).
- Click the Reset button.
- Retest the game.
5. Lower Graphics Settings
High graphics settings might overload the GPU, causing crashes. To adjust settings:
- In-game, visit Video Settings. Consider reducing resolution, especially if on a lower-end GPU.
- Switch to the Graphics tab and revise the graphics quality to a lower setting if you’re experiencing issues.
- Additionally, under Post Processing, turn off the HDR feature.
- Test the stability of the game once these changes are made.
6. Sync FPS with Monitor Refresh Rate
Matching the FPS to your monitor’s refresh rate can prevent screen tearing and crashes:
- Go to Settings and select Graphics.
- Enable Vsync and adjust Max Frames Per Second to match your monitor’s hertz.
- Check for improved stability.
7. Move Game to SSD
Running games from an SSD can improve performance due to faster read/write speeds. To move Returnal:
- In Steam’s Library, right-click on Returnal and choose Properties.
- Go to Installed Files and click Move Install Folder. Select an SSD drive.
- Click Move and then retest the game.
8. Verify Game Files
To check for file corruption, verify the integrity of game files:
- Open Steam, navigate to Library, right-click Returnal, and choose Properties.
- Select Installed files and click Verify the integrity of game files.
- Launch Returnal after the verification process to test.
Following these solutions should resolve the fatal error. However, if the issue persists, a game reinstallation might be necessary. Some Reddit users suggest that the problem might stem from the game’s development, indicating that waiting for an update from the developers could be the ultimate solution.
Returnal Fatal Error - FAQs
To fix a fatal error, launch Returnal using DirectX 11. This outdated version has proven effective for many users, highlighting compatibility issues with DirectX 12.
Fatal errors in Returnal are often due to incompatibilities with DirectX 12, which can lead to stability issues in the game.