The weekly update for Windows Insider Preview Canary Channel arrived today, bringing an array of new features. Build 25936 was released today to Canary Channel users, bringing a new out-of-the-box experience feature as well as numerous improvements and bug fixes. Everything is described in detail below.
What you see next will be determined by your choices during the “out of the box” phase. If “Development Intent” is selected during OOBE, for instance, Dev Home will be launched immediately.
Microsoft has also detailed the update’s features and improvements, including a new appearance for the Task Manager settings page.
New Post-OOBE Feature
Beginning with build 25936, Windows has released new experiences for users after they complete OOBE (“out of the box experience”). These experiences begin automatically after you complete OOBE.
- If you choose ‘Development Intent’ within the ‘Let’s Customize Your Experience’ page during OOBE, Dev Home will be automatically launched on your device after logging in and reaching the desktop for the first time after OOBE setup.
- If you choose ‘Development Intent’ within the ‘Let’s Customize Your Experience’ page during OOBE, the Get Started app will be automatically launched on your device after logging in and reaching the desktop for the first time after OOBE setup. The Get Started app will show you a personalized flow that will help you learn more about Dev Home and give you the opportunity to open Dev Home.
- If you choose to ‘Restore’ your device during OOBE, the Get Started app will be automatically launched on your device after you log into your device for the second time after completing OOBE. The Get Started app will show you a personalized flow that will help you learn about key apps and settings, tell you that Windows has restored on your device and show you how to access your restored apps on Start menu or taskbar.
These experiences will help you learn about new features in Windows 11 and help you complete your device setup. These experiences will only be available to a small subset of Insiders in the Canary Channel at first and you may see different variations of these experiences.
Changes and Improvements
- [REMINDER] Insider Preview Build Expiration: The expiration date for Insider Preview builds flighted to the Canary Channel has been updated to 9/15/2024 starting with Build 25931. Please make sure you are updated to the latest build in the Canary Channel.
- We have added the ability to choose a custom colour to light up your devices with.
- We’ve updated the Task Manager settings page to match the design principles of Windows 11. The design has a similar look and feel to the Settings in Windows 11 and provides a cleaner UI separating categories into different sections.
- The end task feature under System > For Developers no longer requires Developer Mode to be enabled first before it can be used.
Fixes for known issues
- Fixed the underlying crash which was causing .NET updates to get stuck requesting restart in Windows Update Settings in recent Canary Channel builds.
- Fixed a few issues which were causing the End Task option in the taskbar to not work, or to close more than just the app you had selected.