In unfortunate instances, you may fail to reach your colleagues, clients or even friends on Microsoft Teams, affecting your otherwise seamless virtual communication. You may particularly encounter an error message The person you’re trying to reach isn’t available. Try again later. But why exactly are you getting this message?
While you could be utilizing Teams to help your ideas flourish and projects take shape, etc., the stated error leaves you with no option to communicate with one another. Fortunately, you can troubleshoot the error if you know what causes it.
Here’s why you may be receiving the message, ‘The person you’re trying to reach is not available on Microsoft Teams:
- The user call is set to Call forwarding. In that case, you won’t be able to contact the person directly on Teams. It will be directed wherever the user has selected.
- The user status is set to Do Not Disturb mode. In this situation, the user will not receive any calls, messages, or notifications from anyone, except those selectively allowed.
- The user is signed out of Teams or the app is not running.
- The user account is not set to ‘Teams Only’ mode, and Skype for Business is not running on their computer. This is because all modes, with the exception of ‘Teams Only’, can be selected only by users based in Skype for Business.
- The Microsoft Teams app is outdated or corrupted.
1. Switch to Teams Only Mode.
The first thing you would want to check is the mode that the user, who appears unavailable, is set on. If they are on Island Mode, switch them to Teams Only mode, which allows communication via the Teams app only.
Using the Teams admin center, follow these steps:
- From the left pane, go to Users and click on Manage Users.
- On the Accounts tab, click on Edit under Teams upgrade.
- Here, you can set the Coexistence mode. Choose Teams Only.
- Click on Save and the calls should start working again.
2. Start Skype For Business Application.
In case the person cannot switch from Island or any other mode except Teams Only, here’s what they should do: Teams has several modes that determine whether or not the user can use Skype for Business in conjunction with the Teams app itself to communicate with other colleagues and clients.
For this reason, if the Teams app is giving The person you’re trying to reach isn’t available. Try again later. message, they are recommended to start the Skype for Business application and the calls should start working again.
3. Upgrade Teams App.
Some users were able to eliminate this error message by simply upgrading their Microsoft Teams app. This could be possible if the message is simply an error due to a damaged or corrupted application. Updating it would seemingly resolve the issue.
Follow the steps specified for your system to get the newest version of the Teams app:
- Press the Windows key + S to access Windows Search.
- Type teams and hit the Enter key to launch the app.
- Then, click on Settings and more (three dots menu) at the top-right corner of the window and select Settings.
- Now, go to the About Teams tab from the bottom of the left pane.
- Teams will automatically fetch any available updates. Go ahead and install it if a newer version is available.
- Press the Command key + Spacebar to access Spotlight Search.
- Type teams and hit the Return key to launch the app.
- Click on Settings and more (three dots menu) when the window launches.
- From the drop-down options, click on Check for updates.
- Teams will then display a message at the top stating We will check and install any updates while you continue to work.
- When the message changes to You’ve got the latest updates. Enjoy!, your Teams app has successfully updated to the latest version.
4. Disable Forward All Incoming Calls.
If a user has enabled call forwarding, calls will not be directed to them unless they disable the option. Therefore, ask them to follow the instructions for disabling this option in their account settings or directly from the Calls area.
To disable call forwarding, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Teams app on your computer.
- Then, click on Settings and more (three dots menu).
- From the drop-down options, click on Settings.
- From there, go to Calls.
- Scroll to Call answering rules. If the Forward my calls option is selected, choose Calls ring me instead.
- You can also change these settings from the Calls area. From the lower-left corner of the screen, choose Don’t forward to disable call forwarding.
5. Disable Do Not Disturb.
Do Not Disturb is another status mode that makes the person unavailable for any calls, messages, and even notifications. Though the option is primarily helpful in staying focused, it can occasionally be the mere reason behind missed alerts and important calls, especially in a professional environment.
Check if that’s the reason by following the steps below:
- Launch the Teams app.
- Then, click on your profile icon at the top-right corner of the window.
- Click on the currently set status and select Available.
The Do Not Disturb mode may also get activated automatically according to your calendar’s focus mode, so make sure to edit that as well. Here’s what you should do:
- Go to Viva Insights from the left side bar.
- Then, click on Protect time.
- Click on the Remove slot button.
If you would like to keep Do Not Disturb mode enabled, you can add certain people to contact you in all circumstances. Here’s how:
- Once the Teams app has opened, click on Settings and more (three dots menu) at the top-right corner of the window.
- From the options, select Settings.
- Then, click on the Privacy tab.
- From the right pane, go to Manage priority access.
- There, add the people you would want to be able to be contacted by, even if you’ve set the status to Do Not Disturb.
6. Log Back Into Teams.
Not being logged in to your Microsoft Teams account could be another reason why someone trying to reach you receives the message ‘The person you’re trying to reach’ on their screen. Therefore, enter your credentials on the Teams login page to access your account and start receiving calls again.
If nothing else works in eliminating the problem, here’s your last resort. The Microsoft Support community is extremely helpful when it comes to resolving issues for its users.
The Person You Are Trying to Reach on Microsoft Teams - FAQs
If someone is trying to reach you on Microsoft Teams but you’re not active, you will get a notification saying ‘Your teammates are trying to reach you in Microsoft Teams’. You can then either ignore the notification or want to communicate with whoever is contacting you. Tap on ‘Reply in Teams’ and you will be automatically taken to the Teams app or browser version, depending on your chosen default settings.
Depending on the users’ unanswered call settings, it will either be rejected or rerouted. The busy option can be enabled at both tenant and user levels.