Twitter had been losing money for years, and they had a monetization problem on their hands. To increase its revenue and also reduce reliance on advertisers, the social media platform introduced Twitter Blue, a subscription service offering users more features, including the ability to edit tweets after posting them.
But now that Elon Musk owns the company, the subscription service will be undergoing a massive revamp. Apart from the 3$ price increase to $7.99/month, the new Twitter Blue will give subscribers the very coveted blue checkmark.
While there’s no clarity on when exactly the new Twitter Blue is going to go live, the company is making a lot of backend changes to implement the upcoming features. Recently, some users even received in-app notifications for Twitter Blue, which revealed the upcoming features listed below.
Starting today, we’re adding great new features to Twitter Blue, and have more on the way soon. Get Twitter Blue for $7.99/month if you sign up now
- Blue checkmark: Power to the people: Your account will get a blue checkmark, just like the celebrities, companies, and politicians you already follow.
- Half the ads & much better ones: Since you’re supporting Twitter in the battle against the bots, we’re going to reward you with half the ads and make them twice as relevant.
- Post longer videos: You’ll finally be able to post longer videos to Twitter.
- Priority ranking for quality content: Your content will get priority ranking in replies, mentions and search. This helps lower the visibility of scams, spam, and bots.
- Availability: Twitter Blue with verification is currently available on iOS in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK.
you’re catching us working and testing in real-time 🤪 but the new version and all accompanying features aren’t live yet 😬 … it’ll all be coming soon!
— Esther Crawford ✨ (@esthercrawford) November 5, 2022
But as Twitter employee Esther Crawford points out, contrary to the in-app notifications, the new Twitter Blue service hasn’t rolled out yet.
As for the new features, it is great news for people who want a blue checkmark on their profile. Other promised features, like a revamped ad experience, ability to post longer videos, and priority ranking for content will presumably come at a later date.