Some Windows users are reporting that they end up receiving a blank error message whenever they attempt to launch MapleStory via the official launcher. This issue to confirm on every recent Windows version including Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
After investigating this particular thoroughly, it turns out that there are several different potential causes that might trigger this MapleStory error code on a Windows computer. Here’s a list of potential culprits:
- Corrupted compatibility layers value in Registry – As it turns out, a registry key that is taken with facilitating the rendering of the game in compatibility mode is open responsible for causing the issue on Windows 10. If this scenario is applicable, you can fix the issue by using the Registry Editor to clear the value of the AppCompatFlags associated with the main MapleStory executable.
- Corrupted MapleStory installation – If you’re only encountering this issue while attempting to launch the game via the Nexon launcher, you can expect to see this issue due to some kind of corruption that is affecting the local installation of the game. To fix this problem, you need to clean reinstall MapleStory in a different location.
- Nexon MapleStory glitch – According to some affected users, a glitch with the main Nexon launcher can be the underlying cause of this issue. A lot of affected users have confirmed that they managed to fix this particular issue by launching the MapleStory through the Steam installer instead of relying on Nexon.
- Account-related issue – If every other confirmed fix fails in your case, you should start considering the possibility that you might be dealing with some kind of account data corruption that can only be resolved by a Live support agent. In this case, the only viable fix is to open a support ticket with the MapleStory team.
Now that you are familiar with every potential culprit that might be responsible for the apparition of this error code, here’s a list of methods that other affected users have successfully used to get to the bottom of this error code:
Method 1: Deleting the ‘Layers’ value via Registry Editor
As it turns out, one of the most common culprits that are reported to be capable of causing this issue is a registry key that is tasked with facilitating the rendering of the game in compatibility mode. However, depending on where you installed the game, you might find that a layer of the App Compat Flag actually contains an invalid value that ends up triggering the blank error message at the start of the game.
Several affected users that we’re encountering the same type of error have reported that the issue was finally resolved after they used the Registry Editor utility to navigate to the location of this problematic layer and deleting the value associated with MapleStory.exe.
Note: This particular fix is confirmed to be effective on every recent Windows version including Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
If you haven’t tried the fix yourself yet, follow the instructions below to effectively delete the MapleStory-related Layers value using the Registry Editor:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. When prompted by the text box, type ‘regedit’ and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open up the Registry Editor utility with admin access.
Note: When prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), click Yes to grant admin access.
- Once you’re inside the Registry Editor, use the left-hand side section to navigate to the following location:
Note: You can either navigate here manually or you can paste the location directly into the navigation bar and press Enter.
- After you arrive in the correct location, make sure Layers is selected from the left-hand side menu, then move over to the right-hand side.
- Next, from the menu on the right, right-click o the entry associated with the MapleStory.exe fila and choose Modify from the context menu that just appeared.
Note: Keep in mind that you absolutely need to Modify the Registry value instead of simply deleting it. Deleting it from the get-go will effectively break the game and you’ll need to reinstall it.
- Once you’re inside the Edit String menu associated with the Maplestory.exe executable, simply select everything inside the Value data box and press the Delete key to get rid of it before clicking Ok.
- Once this change has been made, exit the elevated Registry Editor application, restart your computer, and wait for the next startup to complete.
- After your computer boots back up, open MapleStory again (via the launcher that was previously triggering the error) and see if the blank error message still appears.
In case you’re still encountering the same error message, move down to the next potential fix below.
Method 2: Clean Reinstall MapleStory (Nexon launcher ONLY)
According to some affected users, you might also be able to fix this particular issue by accessing the main location where you installed the game and renaming the main game folder (Maplestory) to a different name.
Doing this before launching the game again will force Nexon launcher to re-download the game files which will allow you to cancel the operation which will trigger a clean reinstall sequence that will hopefully replace the corrupted files that are most likely causing this issue.
Note: Keep in mind that a lot of affected users have signaled that this type of fix is only temporary as you can expect the issue to return after a couple of system restarts.
If you haven’t tried these instructions yet, follow the step below essentially force a game file verification on the MapleStory files in an attempt to fix the blank error message with the Nexon launcher:
Note: These instructions are only applicable if you are encountering this problem inside the Nexon launcher.
- First things first, start by navigating to the default location of Maplestory. If you installed the game in the default location using the Nexon installer, you’ll find the main game folder in the following location:
Note: If you installed the game in a custom location but you can’t remember it, open up the Nexon launcher, click on the gear icon, then click on Open game location from the Game Configure menu.
- Once you’re inside the correct location, right-click on the maplestory folder and choose Rename from the context menu. Next, rename the main MapleStory folder to something different like ‘maplestory1’ – it really doesn’t matter as long as the name is different from the default.
- Once the folder has been renamed, open the Nexon launcher once again, click on MapleStory, then click on Play. Since you renamed the folder, the launcher will no longer see the game so it will begin downloading it again. When this happens, click on the pause icon, then click on the X button to cancel the download.
- Once the download is stopped, click on the gear icon associated with MapleStory in the same Nexon launcher.
- Next, once you’re inside the Nexon Launcher Settings associated with MapleStory, click on the Game Configure tab from the menu on the left, then click on the Uninstall button (under Repair / Uninstall).
- At the confirmation prompt, click Ok to begin the operation, then wait until the uninstallation is complete.
- Once the uninstallation procedure is complete, return to the Nexon launcher app and click on your account name (top-right corner of the screen).
- Next, from the list of available options, click on Launcher Settings.
- Once you return back to the Nexon Launcher Settings menu, click on Game Install / Update tab from the vertical menu on the left, then click on the Change folder button associated with the Game Installation location.
- Next, go ahead and create a new library folder in a different location (you can even name it differently than Library) and select it before clicking on Select Folder.
- Return to the main interface of the Nexon launcher, access the listings associated with MapleStory, and click on the Download button again to initiate the download of the game once again.
- Wait for the download is complete, then launch the game normally and see if the problem is now fixed.
In case you’re still seeing the same blank error when you try to launch the game after it was downloaded, move down to the next method below.
Method 3: Using Steam Instead (if applicable)
In case none of the potential fixes above have worked for you (and you’re encountering this issue with the Nexon launcher), one potential workaround that a lot of affected users have been using it to install and play the game through Steam instead.
As far as we can tell, the blank error message issue is not reported to occur when the game is launched through Steam. Several affected users have confirmed this workaround to be effective in situations where everything else failed.
If you haven’t tried this yet, follow the instructions below to download & play the game through Steam in order to avoid the apparition of the blank error message issue:
- Install Steam via the official download page and sign in with your account or create one if necessary.
Note: Skip this step if Steam is already installed on your computer.
- Once the Steam launcher is installed on your computer, launch it with admin access and sign in with your account.
- Once you are signed in, access the Store tab from the menu at the top, then use the search function in the top-right corner to search for ‘maplestory’.
- From the list of results, click on the Free to Play listing of MapleStory, then click on the Play Game button.
- Decide the location where you want the game installed, then wait until the operation is complete before launching the game and connecting with the same account that you were previously using with the Nexon launcher.
If the issue is still not resolved or you’re not comfortable with using Steam, move down to the final potential fix below.
Method 4: Opening a Support Ticket
If none of the methods above have worked for you (including launching the game through Steam), one last thing you should try is to submit a ticket with the official support team before MapleStory and talk to a LIVE agent.
Several affected users that were previously encountering the same issue have reported that a live agent has successfully fixed the issue for them after they proved the ownership of the Nexon account.
If you’ve run out of options, follow the instructions below to open a support ticket with the MapleStory support team:
- Visit the official support page of MapleStory and click on Submit a Request from the top-right corner of the screen.
- If asked to log in, do so using the same account that you’re actively using when receiving the black error message when you attempt to launch MapleStory via the Nexon Launcher.
- Once you are successfully signed in, choose the Technical Support listing, then choose Nexon Launcher from the list of available options.
- Next, for the question ‘What type of technical issue are you experiencing‘, select Game Launch / Login from the list of available options before selecting your account type.
- Finally, you need to provide an appropriate type stamp and your timezone for data verification along with your account info before clicking on Submit to open a support ticket.
- Once you have opened a ticket, all you can do is wait for a support agent to respond to your query. Typically, this happens in under 24 hours (depending on their volume).