You may be unable to use the iPhone continuity camera in your browser if your devices are not updated to the latest versions. It is also possible that a bad update is causing this issue. In this case, you have to wait for the system to launch a new update.
It is also important to know that the continuity camera only works on iPhone XR and later versions. So if you have an iPhone X or a previous version, the continuity camera will not work on it even if you have updated it to iOS 16.1.
Moreover, many iPhone users have reported that there were connectivity issues on their devices, due to which they could not use the continuity camera. In this guide, we have mentioned 6 tried and tested methods that will solve the continuity camera issues instantly.
1. Ensure to Turn On the Continuity Camera on Your iPhone
The first thing you need to check is whether you have enabled the continuity camera in your iPhone settings. If it is turned on, there may be some bugs or glitches in the software, which are not letting the continuity camera work properly. Due to this, you are unable to find your device on your MAC.
So, if your device is facing such issues, here’s the simplest way to solve this problem:
- Go to the Settings app and tap on General.
- Then go to AirPlay & Handoff.
- If the toggle for Continuity Camera is turned on, turn it off and again turn it on.
2. Update Your Devices
If your iPhone or MAC is running on an older version, the continuity camera might not work on it. Also, the previous software, iOS 16, had some bugs in it, due to which the users couldn’t use the feature of the continuity camera. Thus, if you have not updated your devices yet, it’s time to do so.
In addition, updating your phone has various benefits; it will not only fix any glitches but also improve overall performance. You will also get security updates. Lastly, you will get to enjoy multiple features.
Here’s how you can update your iPhone to the newest version:
- Firstly, back up your iPhone. You can either do it with iCloud or a PC.
- Connect your iPhone to a charger and then to the WiFi.
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Next, go to Software Update.
- If there are two or more updates, select your preferred one.
- Finally, tap on Install Now. However, if there is an option for Download and Install, firstly choose to download the update.
- After the downloading completes, enter the passcode you use to unlock your device.
- Lastly, tap on Install Now.
Here’s how you can update your Mac to the latest version:
- Before updating your Mac, ensure to back up the data using Time Machine, which is its built-in backup feature.
- To update your Mac, select System Settings or System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- If you select System Settings, click on General.
- Then click on Software Update. If you select System Preferences, go to Software Update. With this, it will find the latest software versions available.
- When the new software update is found, click on Update Now to install it.
- After this, enter the passcode. Your Mac will restart, and it will be updated to the latest version.
After updating the devices, connect your devices with the Wi–fi and then to each other through Bluetooth to see if the continuity camera works.
3. Access the Camera with FaceTime or QuickTime
If you have recently updated your Mac to Mac OS Venture and your iPhone does not appear as an option for the continuity camera on Chrome, you need to access the camera with Facetime or Quicktime. Possibly, the issue of the iPhone continuity camera will be fixed after updating it to the latest version. However, some users could not get the option for doing so.
Nevertheless, using Facetime or Quicktime will let you use the continuity camera feature on chrome. Below is the step-by-step guide to fix this issue:
- On your Mac, open Chrome and click the 3 dots in the top right corner.
- Click on Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security.
- Next, click on Site Settings.
- From there, scroll down, and click on Camera.
- You will see camera options there. At this point, if the continuity camera does not appear, Open Facetime or Quicktime.
- If you have opened Facetime, click on the Video menu and select your iPhone from the Camera menu.
- Go back to Chrome, click on Chrome, and then on Quit Google Chrome to restart it. You can also restart your PC.
- Again go to Camera settings (repeat steps 1 – 6). Now, your iPhone will appear as an option for a continuity camera.
4. Make Sure that You are Following the Instructions
There are certain things you need to do if you want to use your iPhone as a webcam on your PC, like putting your iPhone in landscape mode. Many users do not pay attention to the things suggested by Apple due to which they find it difficult to use the iPhone continuity camera. So, if both of your devices are updated, but you can not use the continuity camera, you need to make sure that you are fulfilling the below criteria:
- Your iPhone is in landscape mode (the magic pose).
- Its screen is completely off/locked.
- You have used a holder to hold your iPhone so that it is motionless.
- The camera is not blocked.
- You are using the same iCloud account on both devices.
5. Use a Cable to Connect your Devices
If you are still unable to use the iPhone continuity camera after fulfilling the criteria, the quickest way to solve the issue is to use a cable to connect your iPhone to the Mac. With this, you will instantly be able to use your iPhone as a webcam.
The reason why you are not able to use the continuity camera without plugging in your iPhone to the PC is that there are some connectivity issues with either one or both devices. There might be issues with the Bluetooth connectivity. Thus, you need to check for any connectivity issues.
However, if you do not want to indulge in the hassle, you can simply use your iPhone lightning cable to connect both devices. When you connect them, you will see a pop-up notification on your Mac, asking whether you trust the computer or not. Tap on Trust. With this, your devices will get connected, and you will be able to use the continuity camera.
6. Reset Your iPhone
If you haven’t had success with any of the above 5 methods, the last resort is to reset your iPhone to its default settings. Resetting your device will solve any issue related to software or if there are network connectivity issues.
Apart from this, resetting your device will help improve the overall performance, while fixing any glitches, giving it a fresh start to it. Also, if there is a problem with any app or it is crashing, doing a reset will solve this issue.
However, you need to do a backup before resetting your iPhone, as it will erase all the content, including contacts, pictures, and apps if they are installed on your iPhone and not on iCloud.
Here’s how you can reset your iPhone:
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Scroll down and tap on Transfer or Erase iPhone.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Tap on Continue.
- Enter the passcode you use to unlock your iPhone.
- Lastly, select Erase iPhone. After doing this, your iPhone will reset to default settings.
After resetting your device, ensure to turn on the continuity camera on your iPhone, fulfill all the criteria, and access the camera using Facetime or Quicktime.
In this post, we discussed the 6 most effective methods to solve the iPhone continuity camera issue. However, If any of the above methods did not work, contact Apple Support, tell them about the issue, and ask them for any possible solution. You can also go to any tech service center to get assistance.