You may be unable to use the iPhone continuity camera in your browser if your devices are not updated to the latest versions. It is also possible that a bad update is causing this issue. In this case, you must wait for the system to release a new update.
It is also important to know that the continuity camera only works on iPhone XR and later versions. Therefore, if you have an iPhone X or a previous version, the continuity camera will not work on it, even if you have updated it to iOS 16.1.
Moreover, many iPhone users have reported experiencing connectivity issues on their devices, which prevented them from using the continuity camera. In this guide, we have mentioned six tried-and-tested methods that will resolve the continuity camera issues instantly.
1. Be sure to turn on the Continuity Camera on your iPhone.
The first thing you need to check is whether you have enabled the Continuity Camera in your iPhone settings. If it is turned on, there may be some bugs or glitches in the software, which are not allowing the Continuity Camera to work properly. Due to this, you are unable to find your device on your Mac.
So, if your device is facing such issues, here’s the simplest way to solve this problem:
- Go to the Settings app and tap on General.
- Then go to AirPlay and Handoff.
- If the toggle for Continuity Camera is turned on, turn it off and then turn it on again.
2. Update your devices.
If your iPhone or Mac is running on an older version, the Continuity Camera might not work on it. Also, the previous software, iOS 16, had some bugs in it, due to which users couldn’t use the Continuity Camera feature. Thus, if you have not updated your devices yet, it’s time to do so.
In addition, updating your phone offers various benefits: it will not only fix any glitches but also improve overall performance. Furthermore, you will receive security updates. Lastly, you will enjoy multiple features.
Here’s how you can update your iPhone to the newest version:
- First, back up your iPhone. You can either do it with iCloud or a PC.
- Connect your iPhone to a charger and then to the WiFi.
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Next, go to Software Update.
- If there are two or more updates, select your preferred one.
- Finally, tap on Install Now. However, if there is an option for Download and Install, firstly choose to download the update.
- After the download is complete, enter the passcode you use to unlock your device.
- Lastly, tap on Install Now.
Here’s how you can update your Mac to the latest version:
- Before updating your Mac, ensure to back up the data using Time Machine, which is its built-in backup feature.
- To update your Mac, select System Settings or System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- If you select System Settings, click on General.
- Then, click on Software Update. If you select System Preferences, go to Software Update. By doing this, the system will find the latest software versions available.
- When the new software update is found, click on Update Now to install it.
- After this, enter the passcode. Your Mac will restart and update to the latest version.
After updating the devices, connect them to the Wi-Fi and then to each other through Bluetooth to see if the continuity camera works.
3. Access the camera using FaceTime or QuickTime.
If you have recently updated your Mac to macOS Venture and your iPhone does not appear as an option for the continuity camera on Chrome, you need to access the camera with FaceTime or QuickTime. It is possible that the issue with the iPhone continuity camera will be resolved after updating it to the latest version. However, some users might not receive the option to do so.
Nevertheless, using FaceTime or QuickTime will allow you to utilize the continuity camera feature in Chrome. Below is a step-by-step guide to fix this issue:
- On your Mac, open Chrome and click the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click on Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security.
- Next, click on Site Settings.
- From there, scroll down, and click on Camera.
- You will see camera options there. At this point, if the Continuity Camera does not appear, open FaceTime or QuickTime.
- If you have opened Facetime, click on the Video menu and select your iPhone from the Camera menu.
- Go back to Chrome, click on Chrome, and then on Quit Google Chrome to restart it. You can also restart your PC.
- Again go to Camera settings (repeat steps 1 – 6). Now, your iPhone will appear as an option for a continuity camera.
4. Ensure that you are following the instructions.
There are certain things you need to do if you want to use your iPhone as a webcam on your PC, such as putting your iPhone in landscape mode. Many users do not pay attention to the suggestions made by Apple, which is why they find it difficult to use the iPhone continuity camera. So, if both of your devices are updated, but you cannot use the continuity camera, you need to ensure that you are meeting the criteria listed below:
- Your iPhone is in landscape mode (the magical position).
- Its screen is completely off/locked.
- You have used a holder to keep your iPhone motionless.
- The camera is not blocked.
- You are using the same iCloud account on both devices.
5. Use a cable to connect your devices.
If you are still unable to use the iPhone’s continuity camera after meeting the criteria, the quickest way to solve the issue is to use a cable to connect your iPhone to the Mac. With this, you will instantly be able to use your iPhone as a webcam.
The reason you cannot use the Continuity Camera without plugging in your iPhone to the PC is that there may be some connectivity issues with one or both devices. There might be issues with Bluetooth connectivity. Therefore, you need to check for any connectivity problems.
However, if you do not want to indulge in the hassle, you can simply use your iPhone lightning cable to connect both devices. When you connect them, you will see a pop-up notification on your Mac, asking whether you trust the computer or not. Tap ‘Trust.’ With this, your devices will connect, and you will be able to use the Continuity Camera.
6. Reset your iPhone.
If you have not had success with any of the above five methods, the last resort is to reset your iPhone to its default settings. Resetting your device will solve any issues related to software or network connectivity.
Apart from this, resetting your device will help improve its overall performance, fix any glitches, and give it a fresh start. Also, if there is a problem with any app or if it is crashing, performing a reset will resolve the issue.
However, you need to create a backup before resetting your iPhone, as doing so will erase all content, including contacts, pictures, and apps if they are installed on your iPhone and not on iCloud.
Here’s how you can reset your iPhone:
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Scroll down and tap on Transfer or Erase iPhone.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Tap on Continue.
- Enter the passcode you use to unlock your iPhone.
- Lastly, select “Erase iPhone.” After doing this, your iPhone will reset to default settings.
After resetting your device, be sure to turn on the Continuity Camera on your iPhone, meet all the criteria, and access the camera using FaceTime or QuickTime.
In this post, we discussed the six most effective methods to solve the iPhone continuity camera issue. However, if any of the above methods did not work, contact Apple Support, inform them about the issue, and ask for any possible solutions. You can also go to any tech service center to get assistance.