I know you all love the ease and the looks of the original Photo Viewer which is not the default in Windows 10. It is super easy to use Photo Viewer, and quick.
However, in Windows 10; this is not the case. What actually happens is when you try and open a photo it asks you to choose an option from the Photos metro app, Paint, or GIMP.
In this guide, i will walk you trough the steps to set the Photo Viewer as your default.
1. First of all, we need to find an existing image, and note down it’s path.
To make the entire process easy, open a notepad file first. You can do this by Holding Windows Key and Pressing R, then in the run dialog type notepad and Click OK.
2. In notepad, copy/paste the image page, locate an image on your system or download any, right click on it and select Properties
3. From Properties, note down it’s exact path in notepad ex: C:\users\john\desktop\image1.jpg
4. Then, in a new line in notepad, copy paste the command below:
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe “%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll”, ImageView_Fullscreen
5. So you now have two lines in notepad, the first is the path to image and the second one is the long one from the grey box.
6. Now copy the path and add it to the end of the second line after Fullscreen, this should then become
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe “%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll”, ImageView_Fullscreen C:\users\john\desktop\image1.jpg
7. Now copy the entire line starting from % till the .jpg, select all of it, right click and select copy.
8. Hold windows key and Press R
9. In the run dialog, paste the command, and then click OK
10. This will open the image in the Photo Viewer.
11. Close it, and now try to open the same image directly.
You will now get the option to specify Photo Viewer as the default program for opening/viewing pictures.