World of Tanks has created headlines for being one of the pioneers in Tank based games. In the game, there are usually two teams comprising of 15 people (7 in Blitz edition) where they battle each other in different battlegrounds. The game has a huge following and is projected to increase its user base in the future.
Despite the popularity of the game, we came across numerous instances where the game was crashing. The variation occurred where either the game crashed upon startup or in-game. In some cases, the game keeps crashing, again and again, no matter what you do. In this article, we will go through all the reasons as to why this occurs and what the possible workarounds are to fix the problem.
What causes World of Tanks Blitz to Crash?
One of the core reasons why the game crashes is its support for multiple platforms and where they can play together. Currently, the game is available on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. After combining several user reports and doing our own research, we came to the conclusion that the issue occurred due to several different reasons. Some of the reasons why you might experience the crashing are but not limited to:
- System requirements: If your hardware doesn’t meet all the system requirements of the game, you will indefinitely experience the error message on your computer. Here, upgrading your system might help.
- Background tasks: If you have background tasks running, they might be draining your resources such that the requirements of Battle of Tanks are not met.
- Outdated Graphics Drivers: Graphics Drivers are the main components which connect your graphics card to your computer. If these drivers are somehow corrupt or outdated, the game will experience crashing.
- Outdated OS: This goes for all operating systems which run the game. If you have an outdated OS, it is likely that it isn’t aligned with your game. Updating the OS to the latest build helps here.
- Power settings: The power settings on your computer dictate on how much resources the computer should use. If the power settings are set to low, enough resources will not be provided and you will experience trouble.
- Corrupt game files: If the game files themselves are somehow incomplete, the game will obviously not work. Reinstalling might help here.
- Servers malfunctioning: Battle of Tanks is an online game. We came across numerous instances where the servers at the backend were malfunctioning and not handling the requests properly. In this scenario, there is nothing you can do except wait the issue out.
- Corrupt configuration files: Every game creates a configuration file in your computer from where it fetches the settings whenever it loads and even in-game. If these configurations are somehow corrupt or not usable by the game, you will experience the crashing.
Before we move on with the solutions, make sure that you have an active internet connection and are also logged in as an administrator.
Pre-requisite: System requirements
Before starting our troubleshooting, it is essential that you check whether your system meets all the requirements of the game. This applies to all operating systems. Minimum requirements are a must even though we urge users that they should have more advanced specifications than them. Here are the minimum requirements of the game:
OS: Windows 7, 8.0, 8.1, 10 Processor: 2 GHz Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: DirectX 11 compliant video card with 256 MB RAM Storage: 3 GB available space
OS: Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Memory: 2 GB RAM Storage: 3 GB available space Additional Notes: Mac OS X 10.9 supported models
OS: iOS 9 or later Devices: iPhone 5 / iPad 3 / iPad mini 2 / iPod touch 6G or newer
OS: Android 4.2 or later GPU: at least Mali-400MP, PowerVR SGX544, Adreno 320, or Tegra 3 CPU: min. 1200 MHz (1500 MHz preferred), dual core RAM: min. 1 GB
Only if you are sure your device meets all the requirements, should you proceed.
Solution 1: Deleting Temporary Settings
The very first step in the troubleshooting process is deleting all the temporary settings of the game. Temporary settings/configurations store the necessary instructions which include your details, preferences, and game files as well. These are loaded when the game loads for the first time and even when the game is running, constant instructions are being fetched.
If these configurations/settings somehow become corrupt or incomplete (most probably because of moving of files and folders), the game will attempt at fetching the instructions but will fail. In this solution, we will navigate to the directory and delete the settings.
- Press Windows + E to launch the Windows Explorer. Once in the explorer, click on Documents present at the left-side underneath Quick access.
- Now, look for the folder of Dava Project. Right-click on it and select Delete.
- After deleting the folder, restart your computer completely. Now launch the game and check if the game is working properly without any issues.
Solution 2: Stopping Background Processes
Game of all sorts require full attention of your CPU and GPU. Even though the minimum requirements should be met, the communication between the game and the hardware should be lightning fast which is only possible if World of Tanks is running solely on your computer. If you have additional programs/processes running in the background, you will experience numerous problems including the crashing.
Now there are two types of processes; one which is visible to you on your Desktop (like Microsoft Word etc.) and those which are not visible on the foreground but are running in the background. In this solution, we will navigate to the task manager and ensure no extra processes are running.
- Press Windows + R, type “taskmgr” in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Once in the task manager, look for all the processes running underneath Apps. Make sure that you close each one of them.
- After closing all the processes, check your CPU usage. If you see some specific process consuming a lot, try to kill it as well.
- After handling all the processes, launch World of Tanks again and see if the issue is resolved for good.
Solution 3: Changing Power Settings
The Power settings on any computer dictate how much energy should be provided to your hardware components in order to function. In power saver mode, the processor and the GPU cannot perform as good as in high-performance mode. In this solution, we will navigate to your power settings and change the performance to the maximum and see if this helps our cause.
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run application. In the dialogue box type “control panel” and hit Enter. This will launch your computer’s control panel. Make sure that View by: is set as small icons present at the top-right side of the screen.
- Once in the control panel, click on Power Options.
- Here you will see the mode of power set currently. If it is set as Power saver, change it either to High performance or Balanced.
- If you have in the past changes some internal settings of each plan, click on Change plan settings and select Restore default settings to this plan.
Save changes and exit. Restart your computer and launch World of Tanks again and check if the issue is resolved for good.
Solution 4: Checking Server Status
Before we move to more intensive and technical solutions, you should check whether the game’s servers are actually running as required. We came across numerous instances where the servers seemed that they were working okay but when the users started playing, the game crashed. This situation occurred numerous times.
Here, what you can do is check relevant forums of World of Tanks and see if other people are also experiencing the crashing. If they are and everything else seems to working good, it probably means that the servers are malfunctioning. You can wait the issue out and check back after a couple of hours.
Solution 5: Reinstalling the Game
World of Tanks releases frequent updates which target all sorts of bugs and when the developers need to introduce new features. These updates are usually downloaded automatically and installed in platforms like Steam but we cannot say for sure if you have downloaded the game from Windows Store. You should first check whether your game is updated to the latest build or not.
If your game is updated and you are still experiencing the crashing, we will try to reinstall the game completely and see if this fixes the problem. Make sure that you save your progress and have your credentials at hand as you will be required to input them again.
Using Steam Client:
If you installed the game through Steam, follow the steps below.
- Launch Steam and click on the Library button present at the top.
- At the left pane, you will see your game. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling the game, restart your computer. Now log back into Steam and download the entire game again. Check if the issue is resolved.
Note: Before you download the game, make sure that you delete all the game files manually as well to make sure there are no remnants.
Using the Windows Store:
If you downloaded the game through Windows Store, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + S, type “uninstall” in the dialogue box and open the settings as shown below.
- Now search for World of Tanks from the list. Click on the item once and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling the game, restart your computer and navigate back to Windows Store. Download and install the game again and see if the crashing got fixed.
Solution 6: Updating the Operating System
If none of the above methods work, we will check and make sure that your operating system is updated to the latest version. Microsoft engineers launch frequent updates for its products every now and then to introduce new features and fix existing bugs. Same is the case with Apple. Whenever an OS update is done, the game also releases an update to cater to the changes. If you are holding back from an update, we recommend that you update as soon as possible.
Here is the method on how to update Windows to the latest version.
- Press Windows + S, type “update” in the dialogue box and launch the Settings app.
- Now, click on the button of Check for Updates.
- After the updates are installed, restart your computer and launch the game. Check if the issue is resolved.
Below is the method on how to update your Mac device to the latest version.
- Click the Apple menu present at the top-left side of the screen and click on System Preferences.
- Now, click on Software update and check if there are any updates available.
- After updating ,restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 7: Updating Graphics drivers
As our last solution, we will attempt at updating your graphics drivers to the latest version. We came across numerous instances where because of the drivers outdated or missing, the game was crashing. Graphics drivers are the main components which transmit commands from your game to the computer.
Furthermore, if updating the drivers don’t work for you, you should consider rolling back the drivers to a previous build. It is not a surprise to know that newer drivers are sometimes not stable or conflict with the operating system.
First, we will attempt at uninstalling your current drivers completely and install default ones. If they don’t work, only then will we proceed to update them to the latest version.
- Install the utility Display Driver Uninstaller. You can continue without this step but this ensures that there are no remnants of the drivers.
- After installing Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), launch your computer in safe mode. You can learn how to boot your computer into safe mode by reading our article on it.
- After booting your computer into safe mode, launch the application which was just installed.
- After launching the application, select the first option “Clean and restart”. The application will then automatically uninstall the installed drivers and restart your computer accordingly.
- Boot your computer into normal mode, press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialogue box and press Enter. Most probably the default drivers will be installed. If not, right-click on any empty space and select “Scan for hardware changes”. Now try launching the game and see if the default drivers fix the crashing issue.
- Now there are two methods to update the graphics drivers; either you can update them automatically using Windows update or manually by browsing to the file where your graphics drivers are located. If automatic updating fails, you have to navigate to your manufacturer’s website and download the drivers first.
To update, right-click on your hardware and select Update driver. Now select any one of the two options according to your case.
- Restart your computer after installing the drivers, launch the game and check if this solves the problem.