Risk of Rain 2 is a multiplayer third-person shooter released in March 2019 on Windows. It has since sparked great comments and reviews but some users claim that playing the game in multiplayer mode is simply impossible. Some claim that its multiplayer mode is broken but there are methods other players used to resolve the problem.
We have gathered those methods into a single article for you to check out. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and the problem should be gone in no time. Good luck!
What Causes the Risk of Rain 2 Multiplayer Not to Work on Windows?
There are several possible causes you should check out below in order to correctly identify your scenario:
- The game is blocked by Windows Defender Firewall – It’s quite possible that certain aspects of the game’s Internet connection are blocked by Windows Defender Firewall and you should consider making an exception for the game’s executable.
- Some game files are missing or corrupt – Various things can corrupt or delete game files which, in turn, starts causing various problems such as this one. Luckily, with Steam you can scan and redownload them easily!
- Game ports are blocked in your router – This is a more advanced issue since it’s possible that the router has assigned the same ports the game uses for different purposes. Luckily, you can change this by forwarding these ports.
Solution 1: Allow the Game Through Windows Firewall
In order for multiplayer features of a game to work properly, the game needs to have uninterrupted access to the Internet and its servers in order to work properly. Windows Defender Firewall is often to blame in such cases and we recommend you make an exception for the game’s executable inside the Windows Defender Firewall!
- Open up Control Panel by searching for the utility in the Start button or by clicking the Search button or the Cortana button at the left part of your taskbar (bottom left part of your screen).
- After Control Panel opens, change the view to Large or Small icons and navigate to the bottom in order to open the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall and click on the Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall option from the left side list of options. A list of installed apps should open. Navigate to where you installed Steam (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam by default), open the steamapps folder, navigate to common >> Risk of Rain 2 and choose the Risk of Rain 2.exe file.
- Click OK and restart your computer before checking whether the multiplayer not working problem still persists!
Solution 2: Verify the Integrity of Game Files
If some game files went missing or corrupt, various problems can occur, including the problem where multiplayer simply won’t work. However, it’s very easy replacing broken and downloading missing files if the game is installed via Steam. You can verify game files and see if the problem is resolved!
- Open up Steam on your computer by double-clicking its icon on the Desktop or by searching for “Steam” in the Start menu. Windows 10 users can also search for it using Cortana or the search bar, both of them next to the Start menu at the taskbar.
- Navigate to the Library tab in the Steam window which will open by locating the Library tab at the top of the window, and locating Risk of Rain 2 in the list of games you have in your respective library.
- Right-click the game’s icon in the list and choose the Properties option from the context menu which will pop up. Make sure you navigate to the Local Files tab from the top navigation menu.
- Click the Verify Integrity of Game Files button at the bottom of the window and wait for the tool to finish checking for your game files. The tool should download any missing or corrupt files and you should launch Risk of Rain 2 afterward to see if multiplayer now works!
Solution 3: Port Forwarding
Configuring a static IP for your PC is an easy process and it can be handled easily. What it allows you to do is to open certain ports used by the game. Users have suggested that this has worked for them and it makes sense considering the fact that the game needs these ports in order for its multiplayer feature to work properly.
- Make sure you open a Command Prompt window by searching for “cmd” or “Command Prompt” in the Start menu.
- Type in the command which will be displayed below and scroll down towards the network adapter which corresponds with the connection you are using. Take note of Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, MAC and DNS
- After that, use the Windows + R key combo which should immediately open the Run dialog box where you need to type ‘ncpa.cpl’ in the bar and tap OK in order to open the Internet Connection settings item in Control Panel.
- Left-click your active network adapter and click on the Properties Locate the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) item on the list. Tap on it in order to select it and click the Properties button below.
- Stay in the General tab and switch the radio button in the Properties window to “Use the following DNS server addresses” and use 8.8.8 and 22.214.171.124 respectively. Switch to “Use the following IP address” and use the same number as the Default Gateway you took note of but change the last digit after the last dot so something else. Fill out other information the same as you took note.
It’s time to log in to your router and allow a few ports.
- Open your preferred Web browser, type your Default Gateway number (IP address) into the address bar, and press Enter. Enter the username and password. It should be available online.
- First of all, find the Enable Manual Assignment setting and click the radio button next to Yes. Locate the window which allows you to type in the MAC address and the IP address of your choice so type in everything you have gathered in the previous steps for your respective computer.
- After you have done that, click on the Add option and you have now added your console’s IP address to your router.
- Find the Port Forwarding section while still logged into your router’s interface. Each router will provide different steps for this.
- Enter a range of ports to open under Start and End or use single ports for internal and external traffic. Especially, for Risk of Rain 2, there are several ranges you will need to open in your router and they are presented below:
TCP: 27015-27030, 27036-27037
UDP: 4380, 27000-27031, 27036
- Enter the static IP address you created for your PC in the steps above and make sure you click on the Enable option if it is available.
- Click on the Save or Apply button and make sure you restart both your router and your PC in order to fully apply these changes. Check to see if multiplayer problems still occur while playing Risk of Rain 2 multiplayer!