Some Windows users are encountering the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error when trying to launch the Windows application of Origin. The majority of users are reporting that this error occurs every time they try to launch the application, while others say that the problem is on and off. The issue doesn’t seem to be specific to a certain Windows version since it’s confirmed to occur on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
What is causing the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error?
We investigated this particular issue by looking at various user reports and the repair strategies that are commonly being used to fix the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error. As it turns out, there are several different potential culprits that have the potential of causing this issue:
- Origin Servers are down – It’s possible that the issue is beyond your control. In the past, this particular error has appeared in areas where Origin was temporarily unavailable or undergoing scheduled maintenance. If this scenario is applicable, you have no repair strategy other than to wait until the issue is resolved.
- Origin Cache contains corrupted files – Another reason why you might be seeing this error is that the Origin cache folder contains corrupted files that are halting the launch in its tracks. In this case, you should be able to resolve the issue by accessing the AppData Origin folder and deleting all it’s content to give the application a fresh start.
- Insufficient privileges – As it turns out, this particular error can also occur in instances where the UAC (User Account Control) settings are stricter than the usual. Several affected users that found themselves in this exact scenario have reported that they managed to resolve the issue by forcing Origin to open with administrative privileges.
- Origin installation is corrupted – A less frequent possibility that might trigger this error is corruption among the main Origin installation folder. This is typically reported to occur in instances where the antivirus has ended up isolating some files as a result of a virus infection. In this case, you should be able to resolve the issue by uninstalling Origin and deleting any leftover files.
- Browser cache issues – When the error is encountered inside a browser, it’s almost certain that there’s a problem with the browser cache. The vast majority of users that found themselves in this scenario have managed to resolve the issue by cleaning the browser cache entirely.
- Antivirus is blocking the Origin executable – There are certain overprotective antivirus security suites that have the potential of triggering this particular issue. In this case, you can resolve the issue either by adding the executable to an exception list (whitelist) or by making the switch to Windows Defender.
- VPN conflict – This particular issue can also occur if you’re using a VPN client that is not agreed by Origins. Certain IP’s generated by VPN solutions are automatically blocked by Origins, which ends up creating this error message. In this case, you can resolve the issue by uninstalling the VPN client entirely or switching to a different VPN provider.
If you’re currently encountering the same issue, this article will provide you with several different troubleshooting strategies that might end up resolving the issue. Down below, you’ll find several potential fixes that other users in the same situation have successfully used to get around this problem. Each method present below is confirmed to be effective by at least one affected user.
If you want to remain as efficient as possible, we advise you to follow the method in the order that they are presented since they are ordered by efficiency and severity. Regardless of the culprit that is causing the issue, one of the fixes below should resolve the issue for you.
Method 1: Verifying the status of Origin’s servers
It’s possible that the issue is beyond your control, so it’s important to stick to this method and verify the status of Origin servers before trying to resolve the issue with a different fix. The “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error can be beyond your control, in the event that the servers are down or undergoing maintenance.
So, before jumping to the other potential fixes below, visit these links (here & here) to check the status of the Origin services. It’s also good practice to check up EA’s Twitter account or the Reddit hub for any evidence of maintenance or outage problems.
If your investigations didn’t reveal any problems, it’s likely the issue is restricted to your computer. In this case, move down to the next method below.
Method 2: Deleting the Origin Cache
One of the most effective fixes in resolving the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error is to access the Origin data folder and delete the cache files there. Several affected users that they were able to open Origin without problems after performing this repair strategy and restarting their computer.
Here’s a quick guide on deleting the Origin Cached files:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type “%AppData%\Origin” and press Enter to open the cache folder of Origin.
- Once you reach the Origin cache folder, select everything, right-click and choose Delete to get rid of any temporary file.
- Restart your computer and see if the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error has been resolved once the next startup is complete.
If the same error message is still appearing when you launch Origin, move down to the next method below.
Method 3: Running Origin with administrative privileges
As it turns out, another possible reason that might end up causing this issue is insufficient permissions granted to Origins. If the UAC (User Account Control) settings on your computer are strict, chances are Origins won’t receive enough permissions to function normally unless you force your computer to do so.
Several affected users have reported that they were able to finally launch Origin without the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error after modifying the main executable’s settings to always launch with admin access.
To test whether this scenario is applicable, right-click on the Origin.exe executable and choose Run As Administrator. If the error no longer occurs, follow the steps below to make the change permanent.
Here’s a quick guide on how to do this:
- Right-click on the main origin and choose Properties from the context menu.
- Once you get to the Origin Properties screen, select the Compatibility tab and check the box associated with Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply to save the changes and close the Properties window.
- Launch the Origin store and see if the issue has been resolved.
If this method didn’t resolve the issue or the steps weren’t applicable to your current situation, move down to the next method below.
Method 4: Reinstalling Origin & deleting the Origin folder
If you’re encountering the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error when trying to launch Origin from the Windows application, this method might help. Several users that we’re encountering the same problem have managed to fix the issue by deleting the contents of the Origin folder and uninstalling the application entirely.
Note: This method has a high chance of working if you’re using the Beta version of Origin. It has
The general consensus is that the Origin folder has to files that are very prone to corruption. Here’s a quick guide on reinstalling Origin, deleting the Origin folder and reinstalling the application:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter to open up the Programs and Files window.
- Inside the Programs and Features window, scroll through the list of application and locate Origin. Once you see it, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation, then close the Programs and Features screen once the process is complete.
- Restart your computer.
- Once the startup sequence is complete, navigate to this location and delete the entire Origin folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)
Note: If you installed Origin in a custom location, navigate there instead.
- Visit this link (here) and click on the Download button under Windows to get the latest version.
- Once the installation executable has been downloaded, open it and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
- Launch the Origin store and see if the issue has been resolved.
If you’re still encountering the same error or this method wasn’t applicable to your situation, move down to the next method below.
Method 5: Cleaning your Browser cache
If you’re encountering this issue while trying to access the Origin store from your browser, you might be able to resolve the issue by clearing the cache of your browser. Several users that have been encountering the same issue have reported that the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error was no longer occurring.
Since the steps of clearing the cookies are different from browser to browser, we recommend that you use a utility capable of removing cookies automatically, regardless of which browser you’re using.
Here’s a quick guide on installing and using Ccleaner to remove the browser cache:
- Visit this link (here) and install the free version of CCleaner from a viable download link.
- When the installation executable is downloaded, open it and follow the on-screen prompts to install the software on your system.
- Once the installation is complete, open the Ccleaner application.
- Inside Ccleaner, select Custom Clean from the vertical menu on the left.
- Next, select the Applications tab to uncheck everything aside for the items related to your browser.
- Click on Run Cleaner and then click on Continue to start the process of deleting your browser cookies.
- When the process is complete, close Ccleaner and open the web version of Origin in the browser that was previously displaying the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error.
Method 6: Preventing Antivirus from blocking Origin (if applicable)
If you’re using an overprotective antivirus suite, it’s also possible that it ends up blocking Origins from communicating with the outside, which ends up creating the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error. This problem is more common than you might imagine, but it’s only reported to occur with 3rd party antivirus suites – Windows Defender will not cause this problem.
If you’re using a 3rd party antivirus suite and you’re encountering this problem, disable the real-time protection of your AV and launch Origin again. If the issue is no longer occurring, you have two ways forward:
- Add the main Origin (Origin.exe) executable to the exception (whitelist) list to ensure that it’s not blocked by your AV – The steps of doing this are specific to each 3rd party AV. You can search online for dedicated instructions.
- Uninstall the 3rd party antivirus that you’re using and use Windows Defender – A lot of users have reported that Windows Defender doesn’t block Origins, so making the switch to the default security program should resolve the issue if a 3rd party AV is currently causing it.
Method 7: Uninstalling VPN application (if applicable)
As several users have reported, the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error can also occur if you’re using a VPN client that is not agreed by Origin. In this case, you will be able to resolve the issue by taking the steps appropriated to uninstalling the VPN application & restarting your computer.
This procedure will end up refreshing the Origin connection and eliminate the problem if it was previously caused by a VPN application. Here’s a quick guide on how to do this:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter to open up the Programs and Features screen.
- Once you get there, scroll through the list of applications and locate the VPN provider that you currently have installed.
- Right-click on your VPN solution and choose Uninstall. Then, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation.
- When the procedure is complete, restart your computer and see if the “Origin Encountered an Issue Loading this Page” error is now resolved.