Microsoft Windows 10 comes with an inbuilt version of the Camera application which facilitates the users. But unfortunately, many users have reported the Error Code: 0x200F4246 (0x80040154) while using the camera app. This error code occurs when a user tries to turn on the Camera application in order to access the webcam for use.
It causes the camera application to stop working properly. It may be termed as a system bug that somehow malfunctions the system files of the camera application. Users may also face this problem if the camera driver is corrupted or outdated. This issue is very annoying because it restricts the users’ freedom to utilize all the camera-related apps like Skype, Zoom, etc. which are being used mainstream for the sake of their business, education, and personal usage. The error notification is as follows:
What Causes Camera not Working Error Code: 0x200F4246 (0x80040154)?
There are many cases reported by hundreds of users, who confronted this camera error on Windows 10 and also identified by the technical authorities. Our researchers have drafted a list after hovering over the feedback from the users online. This list contains all the possible reasons that may have caused this error to occur. The list is as follows:
- Outdated Camera Drivers: When the camera shows “something went wrong” or any error code (in this case, error code: 0x200F4246 (0x80040154) on Windows 10, it may be due to a problem with the camera driver as it is one of the most common reasons behind the camera or its applications errors. Outdated drivers restrict the proper detection and usage of a camera as they are not well suited to the respective Windows version.
- Windows Update: Many users report that this camera error is encountered after Windows installed the latest update. On the other hand, some users reported that pending windows updates i.e. Windows updates not installed, cause this issue. So we can conclude that Windows update must have a doing behind this error. The further listing of reasons could be enormous i.e. Mismatch software versions, drivers incompatibility, etc.
- Anti-virus Software: When third-party security protection software applications i.e. antivirus are enabled, they may block Windows or its applications from accessing the camera device, eventually causing the problem under consideration.
- Camera Permissions: If you are experiencing an error code and the Camera app is not working then it could be due to the reason that applications are not permitted or allowed to use the Camera application. Device permissions are always required by the software in order for the software to use the device for its propagation in the first place.
Before going towards the solutions, we recommend you to go through these steps. These steps may fix the problem or at least identify the reason behind this error and then you can go for one of the best-suited solutions given after this section. The suggested steps are as under:
- Install Windows Update: Check whether the current Windows is up to date or not. In case it’s not, go to Windows settings and install available updates.
- Update the Camera Driver: Check if the camera driver is up to date or not. In case it’s not, try to update it from the device manager, by choosing the “Search for drivers online” option.
- Disable Antivirus Blockage: Open your Antivirus software and uncheck the option “Block access to camera for all applications”.
- Camera Settings: Make sure that the “Allow all apps to access camera” option is ON in the camera settings.
- Run the System File Checker (SFC): This method allows you to check for system errors and repair the missing or corrupted files. You can run SFC by following the steps given in the solution below.
Now that you have gone through all the preliminary steps, try running the Windows Camera application and see if the problem is resolved or not. In case it hasn’t then the first most approach should be running Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, provided by Microsoft. This is the first most approach because the Camera application is itself a Windows Store application. Jump to solution one which covers the subject matter.
Solution 1: Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Troubleshooters are utilities provided by Microsoft for a quick repair and fix. Windows Store has its own integrated troubleshooter to fix errors for its applications. Since the Camera app is related to the Windows Store, you can fix the error 0x200F4246 (0x80040154) by running the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter. Many users (in hundreds) were able to rectify this problem by implementing this solution. Follow the steps given below to fix the error:
- Click Start, search Troubleshoot Settings and open it. This will take you to a window in which different categories are available in the form of a list for troubleshooting i.e. Get up and Running problems, and others like Speech, Video playback, Windows Store Apps, etc.
- Under Find and fix other problems, scroll down and select Windows Store Apps. This will show the hidden option. Click on the Run the troubleshooter option. This action will scan the system to look for the problems occurring in Windows store applications as a whole, which will help identify the reason causing the camera error.
- It will suggest you to reset the app to resolve the issue. Click on Open Apps and Features. This will show you all the applications of Windows i.e. App Installer, Calculator, Camera, etc.
- Click on the Camera app and select Advanced Options. This will take you to the window that contains action choices for Camera application i.e. Reset, Repair, etc.
- Scroll down and click on the Reset option. This will initiate the reset process. It may ask for additional confirmation, deal with it accordingly.
- After the reset is complete, open the Camera application to check whether the issue is fixed or not. In case it’s not then it is possible that the Webcam or Camera drivers are corrupt. Therefore, performing a fresh installation should fix the problem which is guided in solution two given below.
Solution 2: Reinstall Camera Drivers
Drivers help the operating system to understand device features and how it can utilize it according to the user. If the drivers are corrupt then you are most likely to get the error under consideration. Many users were able to fix this problem by uninstalling their current faulty drivers and installing a fresh copy of the latest drivers for their respective cameras instead. Windows 10 has the feature of finding the latest drivers for almost all devices on its own from the internet. This option can be availed by selecting the “Search and install drivers automatically from the internet” option. Follow the steps given below:
- Press Windows + X keys together on your keyboard and select Device Manager. The device manager is a Windows tool used to manage all Windows devices, as indicated by its name.
- Select your Camera Device under Imaging/Camera devices, right-click on it and select Uninstall device. This will open a window that provides the uninstall options for your camera.
- Select Uninstall and click OK. This will start the uninstallation process. It may take a few minutes so wait until it gets completed successfully.
- Once done, click Action and select Scan for hardware changes. Now Windows will detect your connected camera device, find and install the latest drivers for it from the internet.
- Close Device Manager and restart your PC. This will help Windows to get hold of changes and process them properly.
- Try running the Camera application and see if the problem is resolved or not. In case it’s not then proceed with the final solution that involves updating the Windows Camera application. People normally do not keep their Windows Store applications updated so you might be one of them.
Solution 3: Update Camera Application
When you update your Windows, your Windows Store applications do not get updated. Users need to manually open Windows Store and check for updates for its applications. If you are reading at this point then there is a high probability that you are one of those persons who do not bother to keep Windows Store applications updated. This was the case for many users online and they were able to fix this problem by finally updating their Windows Store Camera application. Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Click Start, search Microsoft Store, and open it. This will provide you with a list of all the apps categories that are available in the Microsoft Store.
- Type Camera in the search bar and press Enter. It will search all the applications with “camera” in their names that are available for public users in Microsoft Store.
- Now open the Windows Camera from the given search results.
- Click the Update option. This will start downloading the available updates for the Camera application and then install them once the update is downloaded. This process may take few minutes so wait until it gets finished successfully.
- Once the update process has been completed, try running the camera application. Your problem should be resolved now.