Your Apple ID is like a passport for using the Apple ecosystem. You use it on your iDevices, iCloud, iTunes, emails, and even on your Mac computers. So, creating an Apple ID should be pretty simple right?
Well, yes it is simple if you have a credit card, and want to use it for the Apple payments. But, what if you don’t have one? Or, maybe you don’t want to link it to iTunes and Apple Store? Can you create an Apple ID without a credit card?
Yes, you can. But, the overall process is a little tricky. Many users don’t manage to finish it successfully, and they end up without an Apple ID. So, to make many lives easier, I created this article where I am explaining a step by step method for creating an Apple ID without a credit card.
If for any reason you want to set up an Apple account without payment information, here you can find all you need.
The Method Explained
The method for creating an Apple ID, without a credit card, on both iTunes on your PC and your iDevices works the same. There are not any heavy-duty programming tasks you need to do, in order to make it work for you. You just need to try downloading a free app, music, or TV show on your device, and then start the procedure for setting up your Apple ID.
Note: If you are the organizer for a Family Sharing group, this method will not work for you. Apple always requires a payment method for Family Sharing organizers.
Creating an Apple ID Without a Credit Card via iTunes
If you are creating an Apple ID for the first time and you don’t want to enter any payment method, you should follow the following steps. You can do it using iTunes on your computer, or through an iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
- Launch the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and go to iTunes Store.
- Make sure you have set your resident country in iTunes Store. You can do it by checking the flag in the lower-right corner of the window. If the flag is different from the one of your country, click on it and update it.
- Now go in the TV Shows section in the Store and click on Free TV Episodes.
- Choose one from the offered episodes in the list, open it, and click Get.
- Click on Create New Apple ID from the window that will appear.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your free Apple ID. Make sure you put all the information right and choose a secure password. The best practice is to use Numeric and Special characters, as well as Capital words. I recommend writing down your email and password on a piece of paper and keep it somewhere handy. If you forget your email and reset your iDevice, it gets stuck on the iCloud login screen. There is no way to bypass that without your correct login credentials. Additionally, for an extra layer of security, pick your security questions carefully, enter your birthday and click on the Continue button.
- Now the famous Payment Method and Billing Address screen will appear. As you can see, you have an option None for the payment method.
- Choose None in the Payment method section and write down your address.
- Click Continue and iTunes will require entering the Verification Code that you have received in your email.
- Copy and paste this code, click Verify, and you are done with the procedure. You’ve just created your Apple ID.
Once you have it your account verified, you can use it on all your iDevices.
Create an Apple ID Without a Credit Card via Your iDevice
If you don’t have access to iTunes on a computer, and you want to create Apple ID on your iDevice, here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Get your iDevice and launch the iTunes app, App Store app, or iBooks
- Choose any free song, video, book, or app.
- Click on the GET button and tap
- The app will ask you to sign in with your Apple ID or Create New Apple ID. Choose the second
- Follow the on-screen instruction.
- When the app asks you to choose your payment method, choose None.
- After you finished with the new Apple ID, you have to verify it before you use it. Just like the verification on iTunes via computer, you need to enter the verification code, and you are good to go.
Removing the Payment Method From an Existing Apple ID
If you have an Apple ID and you want to remove your payment method here is what you should do.
- Open iTunes on your PC or Mac.
- Tap on Accounts and choose View My Account.
- Enter your Apple ID password.
- To remove your payment method go to Payment Type section and click on Edit.
- Select None, to remove your payment method, and click Done.
A few years ago, having a payment method in your Apple ID was mandatory. However, Apple has changed the terms, and now it allows users to create accounts without entering credit card information. But still, it is a little tricky.
Feel free to use these methods for making an Apple ID without a credit card and keep in mind that at some point of your Apple ecosystem’s use, you will definitely want to link a payment method. There is so much great stuff, so you won’t be able to resist buying some addicting games, apps, or your music. Also, don’t be shy to share with us your experience in creating an Apple ID without credit card information.