‘your device is missing important security, and a quality fixes‘ error occurs when installing a Windows update. The error prevents you from updating Windows; there are some fixes you can try to fix this error.
1. Update Windows Via Update Assistant
Windows Update assistant doesn’t rely on the built-in Windows services required to install the update; it downloads and installs the fresh Windows Update files. Therefore, the first method that has worked for most users is to update windows via the Update Assistant. A tool used to update Windows OS. Follow the steps:-
- Download the Windows Update Assistant from this link.
- Open the Windows Update Assistant, click Update Now, and wait for the updates to download.
2. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update troubleshooter checks if anything is wrong with the essential Windows Update services. If there is any issue with the Windows updates components, then the Windows update troubleshooter will fix them.
- Press the Windows + X key simultaneously and click Settings
- Navigate to Update & Security
- Click Troubleshoot, then click Additional TroubleshooterUpdate & Security Settings to Additional Troubleshooters
- Select the Windows Update and click Run the Troubleshooter
- Once done, check if the issue is fixed.
3. Rename the Software Distribution Folder
The issue usually occurs due to the corrupted Windows Update files in the software distribution folder. These files are essential to install the updates. If they are corrupted, you won’t be able to update the Windows.
These files are located in Software Distribution as temporary files; we can either rename or delete this folder to de-load these files so Windows Updater gets tricked into downloading fresh files from the server.
Therefore, renaming the software distribution folder fixes the issues regarding Windows Updates. Below are the steps:-
- From Start Menu, type the command prompt
- Right-click on it and click Run As Administrator
- Type the following commands to stop the Windows update services
net stop wuauserv net stop bits
- Once executed, copy and paste the following command to rename the software distribution folder
rename c:windowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
- Now again, start the Windows update services by following the below command
net start wuauserv net start bits
- Once done, try updating Windows to check if the error is resolved.
4. Repair System Files
These are the commands executed when there is damage in Windows images or in the DLL files. DISM repairs Windows images while SFC repairs the system DLL files. Below are the steps:-
- Click Start Menu and type Command Prompt
- Right-click on the terminal and click Run As Administrator
- Copy and paste the following commands and hit enter after each command
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Sfc /scannow
- Once the verification is done, check if the error persists.
5. Reinstall Windows Updates
This error can also occur due to a corrupted or broken Windows installation, it can fix by uninstalling the Windows updates. It turns out that KB4100347 and KB4457128 can be the culprit to this issue. Reinstalling these updates should fix this issue.
- Click Start Menu and type Control Panel
- Open the control panel and go to Programs and Features
- Click View Installed Updates from the left
- Now delete those Windows updates that we told above
- Once done, run the Check for Updates to download them again
If the error persists, you will have to update to the most recent build of Windos, you can follow the instructions posted here: How to Install/Update to Windows 10 Version 21H2.