The error 0xc004f012 is typically caused by corrupt license repositories due to which users aren’t able to activate their Windows. While using an inactivated Windows 10, you will not be able to utilize certain Windows features due to which Windows activation becomes a must-do task. However, there are certain errors that’ll prevent you from doing so.
Windows activation errors are not so uncommon and they, unfortunately, tend to happen frequently. The error 0xc004f012 also pops up if you are using your Windows activation key for the first time. In such an event, you’ll have to wait it out and mostly, the error goes away after you give it some time. Nonetheless, if it persists and keeps on bothering you — worry no more. This article will show you how to get rid of the error without any great difficulty.
What causes the activation to fail with Error 0xc004f012?
Well, activation errors tend to generate due to various factors. As for this one, it could be due to—
- Corrupt Licensing. This is one of the prime reasons why the error occurs. Most of the times, your license repository is corrupted due to which you are not able to activate your windows.
- Corrupt system files. Some users have reported that corrupt system files halted their activation which is indeed a possibility.
- Hardware change. When you get yourself some new gear for your system, it might happen that your freshly installed windows won’t be activated as the Windows registers to both hardware and software.
Now that we’ve discussed everything of importance, let us get to the solutions. Such errors can be resolved through a number of ways that are:
Solution 1: Scan for Corrupted System files
Generally, if your windows activation is not working; it could be because of corrupted system files which is something you should check first and foremost. To do this:
- Go to Start Menu and type cmd.
- Right click on the result and select ‘Run as an Administrator’.
- Enter the following command DISM commands which provides any files that are corrupted.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Give it some time till it completes.
- After completion, enter the following command that scans for any corrupted files.
This will scan your system files, check if there are any corrupted ones and repair them. After all of this is done, try activating your windows again.
Solution 2: Rebuild your Tokens
Such an error usually requires you to rebuild your tokens after which your OS activates without any problem. Here’s how to rebuild your tokens:
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\SPP\Store\2.0 directory.
- Rename the tokens.dat file there to ‘tokens.old’.
- Then, open cmd as an Administrator like mentioned above.
- In cmd, type in the following commands one after the other:
cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /rilc
- Restart your device twice once you’ve entered these commands.
- When your PC boots up, go to ‘Settings’ and tap into Activation.
- There, run the ‘Activation Troubleshooter’.
This is very likely to solve your issue.
Solution 3: Activating through Command Prompt
Sometimes, the error can be easily resolved if you activate your Windows from the command prompt. This is pretty straightforward, what you’ve to do is:
- Open the Command prompt (cmd) as an Administrator as shown above.
- Type in the following command with your product key:
- Enter the product key
slmgr.vbs.ipk <product key>
- Afterward, enter the following command:
- This will activate your Windows 10 without any worry.
Solution 4: Repair your PC
If you’ve followed all the instructions above and your problem still persists, you’ll have to repair your PC using Media Creation Tool. Your files, apps, and settings will be safe and sound – so you don’t have to worry about that.
We’ve already made an article which shows you how to upgrade your PC; can be found here.