Converting MBR to GPT can sometimes be really necessary as MBR partition has its own limitations. The process, however, isn’t always trouble-free. Some users have reported that when they try to convert their disk partition from MBR to GPT, they are prompted with the ‘The specified disk is not convertible’ error. This is because in order to convert a disk to GPT, you will have to first clean and then convert it to GPT. However, Windows doesn’t let you do that when it is running on that disk.
Master Boot Record or MBR is an old partition structure that was introduced in 1983. With the rapid development in the sizes of hard disks, MBR is slowly being replaced by GPT. MBR partition can only work on hard disks of size lower than 2 TB and it can only allow up to four partitions at a moment which can be an issue for some users. Thus, the need for converting MBR to GPT arises.
MBR can be converted to GPT without any great difficulty using DiskPart which is a Windows command-line utility for managing hard disks on your system. However, in some cases, while trying to convert MBR to GPT, there’s a possibility that you will be prompted with certain errors. The said error can be taken as an example. In such cases, you can easily overcome the error by using a third-party tool.
What causes the ‘The Specified Disk is not Convertible’ Error on Windows 10?
When you face the said error while trying to convert MBR to GPT, this can be due to the following factor —
- Windows is running on the disk: Usually, when you face the error, it is because you are running Windows on that disk. In such a case, you won’t be able to convert the disk to GPT using DiskPart.
Now, if you cannot use the DiskPart utility provided by Microsoft in Windows, what else could you use? Well, the answer is pretty simple. You can easily convert your disk to GPT using any other third-party software that will do it for you with just a few clicks.
Solution: Using EaseUS Partition for Conversion
Well, to resolve the issue, we will be using a third-party tool called the EaseUS Partition Master. It is a great tool that you can use to convert disks from MBR to GPT or vice versa, extend, delete or create new partitions using the unallocated space. Follow the steps given down below to convert your disk to GPT:
- First of all, download the free trial version of the software from here.
- Once downloaded, install it and then run EaseUS Partition Master on your machine.
- When the application loads up, just simply locate the disk that you want to convert to GPT. Right-click on that disk and select ‘Convert to GPT’.
- Afterward, at the top-left corner, click Execute Operation.
- Hit Apply to start the conversion.
- You will have to restart your system before the conversion starts.
That is it, you have successfully converted your disk from MBR to GPT without losing any data.