Script Hook V is the library that allows using GTA V script native functions in custom *.asi plugins. However, quite recently we have had many reports of a “Script Hook V Critical Error” occurring while trying to launch the game. The error persists even in the Offline mode. In this article, we will discuss some of the causes of this problem and provide you with viable solutions to eradicate it.
What Causes the “Script Hook V Critical Error”?
We investigated the issue after receiving numerous reports from users and came up with a set of solutions that were reported to solve the error for most users. Also, we looked into the cause of the problem which is listed as follows.
- Anti-Cheat System: The Script Hook application is used for modding in GTA V but the developers don’t support this practice and the application is detected as a “cheat” therefore it is patched in every update of the game. The developer’s of the Script Hook application always release a workaround for this in the new updates but they take some time to come out,
Now that you know the cause of the problem we will be moving on towards the solutions.
But before moving on with the solutions, restart your system and the network equipment.
Repair Corrupt Files
Download and run Restoro to scan and restore corrupt and missing files from here. Once done, proceed with the solutions below.
Solution 1: Update the Script Hook Application.
Usually whenever the GTA V developers patch the Script Hook application in their updates the developers at Script Hook release a new update as a workaround that patch. Therefore in this step, we will be updating our Script Hook application
- Download the Script Hook application.
- Extract the zip file and open the “bin” folder in the extracted files
- Copy all the files inside the “bin” folder to your GTA V installation folder
Note: Make sure that the version of the Script Hook supports the GTA V version and the release date is after the date of the GTA V update.
- Select “Copy and Replace” to complete the action
- Now that the Script Hook application is updated, try to run the game
If this does not work for you or the Developers from the Script Hook have not released a fix yet and then you should try the next solution.
Solution 2: Reverting to Old Version of the Game.
If the Grand Theft Auto V has been updated by the developers and the new update has patched the Script Hook V application then it will not work. Usually, the Developers of the Script Hook V release a new update that serves as a workaround for the patch but if that has not yet been provided then we will have to revert to the old version of the game for which
- Download the Grand Theft Auto files (for the Steam version).
- Download the Grand Theft Auto files (for the Rockstar’s Club version).
- Download the Grand Theft Auto files (for the Epic Games Launcher version).
- Now extract the downloaded files and copy the GTAV.exe and the GTAVLauncher.exe into the game installation folder.
- Select “Replace the files in the destination” option.
- Also, Right–Click on the”Update.rpf” and select “Copy”
- Now Open the “Updates” folder situated inside the game installation folder and paste
- Once more, select the “Replace the files in the Destination” option.
- This will revert the game to the old version and the Script Hook should work but the game checks for updates every time you try to launch it through the launcher.
- Download the “No launcher Mod”.
- Now extract the downloaded “RAR” file
- Copy both the files situated inside the extracted folder inside the Grand Theft Auto V installation folder
- Now double click on the “No_GTAVLAUNCHER.exe” to run the game
- This mode skips the process of checking for updates and thus allows you to play the game on an older version.
If this solution does not solve your problem then you should try a clean install of both the Script Hook V application and also the Grand Theft Auto game.