MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol. It is actively used when you want to transfer data between your computer and any android device. If this device doesn’t install as expected, you will not be able to transfer media or other files.
This error usually pops up when you connect your device to your computer using a USB connection. It means that the computer was unable to successfully establish a connection with the device; hence the device driver installation failed.
Before we move on to the troubleshooting, you should make sure that your phone hardware is working fine and there are no faults. Try connecting the device to other computers and check if they connect successfully there. Try connecting the USB to different ports on the computer (try both front and back in your PC). You should also check if the cable you are using is functioning properly. Try using different data transfer tables and check if there is any difference.
You can also try checking the option “USB debugging” on your mobile device and then try plugging it into your computer. If this doesn’t make any effect, you can always revert back the changes.
Solution 1: Using Command Prompt
We can try running one command on your command prompt related to the local group on your computer. Most of the time the error message is just caused by the UAC restricting the computer from installing the required device drivers. We can try changing that through the command prompt and check if this solves the problem.
- Press Windows + S to launch the Search bar, type “command prompt” in the dialogue box, right-click on the application and select “Run as administrator”.
- Once at the command prompt, execute the following command:
net localgroup Administrators local service /add
- Execute the following command and try plugging in your device again for Windows to detect it and install the required drivers. Hopefully, the problem will be solved. You can also try restarting your computer after executing the command if the problem still persists.
Solution 2: Checking Registry Settings
Another reason why this error might be occurring is that your registry settings might be set not to recognize and install an external device. We can try changing the registry settings by deleting one entry and check if this solves the problem at hand.
- Press Windows + R, type “regedit” in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Once in the registry editor, navigate to the following address:
- Once in the target location, press “Ctrl + F” to launch the search dialogue. Enter the word “Portable Devices” and press “Find Next”.
If you don’t find the folder, head over to the next solution as this one isn’t fit for your computer.
- Windows will now iterate through all the results and try searching for the keyword. If it finds a match, check if that folder contains the key “UpperFilters”. If you find it, delete the keyword and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
- After restarting, plug in your device again and check if the problem gets fixed.
Note: Registry Editor is a powerful tool. Editing the keys which you don’t know about can hamper your computer and even make it unusable. It is advised to back up your registry before implementing any changes to make sure that you can always restore if anything goes wrong.
Solution 3: Installing the MTP Porting Kit
If the problem still persists, it can mean that you don’t have the MTP Porting Kit installed on your computer or it is outdated. We can try installing the latest kit from Microsoft’s official website and check if this brings any difference.
- Head over to Microsoft’s official website and download the MTP Porting Kit to an accessible location.
- Open the executable and install the software on your computer. After the installation, restart your computer.
- Now plug in your device and check if the computer installs the required drivers as expected.
PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using the Reimage Plus Software which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. You can download Reimage Plus by Clicking Here