The error “DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names” usually occurs when Xbox console is not able to resolve a valid DNS address in order to successfully connect to the internet. This issue usually occurs when you are using a wireless network for access and is also a very common one.
DNS is an important decentralized naming system which is required to work perfectly when you are connecting to the internet. Even though the complexity might seem a little high, the issue can be resolved using very basic troubleshooting methods listed down below.
Solution 1: Resetting your Console and Router
Before we move on to assigning a pre-defined DNS address to the console or resetting your router, we can try power looping your console and router. Most of the time just closing the console and turning it back on resolves the majority of the problems. When we reset the console, all the network configurations currently assigned are lost and they take a fresh start.
Make sure that you plug out the main power supply of both the devices when following out this solution. This will ensure that all the capacitors are discharged and there are no discrepancies when we try connecting to the network again.
- Press and hold the Xbox logo on your console for about 5-8 seconds until it shuts down completely. Take out its power cable after shutting it down.
- Now turn off your router and also plug its power cable.
- Wait for approximately 2-3 minutes before plugging in and turning on both systems.
- Try connecting your Xbox to the internet again and check if the problem got solved.
Solution 2: Setting DNS Manually
If the console is unable to set the DNS automatically, we can try setting Google’s address as its DNS and check if this solves the problem. You can always revert back the changes using the same method and select “Set DNS Automatically”.
- Open your Xbox console and navigate to its “Settings” from the home page.
- Select “Network” when you are in the console’s settings. It should be beneath the sub-heading of ‘console’.
- Once in network, navigate to “Advanced settings” using the navigation pane present at the left side of the screen.
- Now use your controls to select “DNS settings” present at the bottom left side of the screen.
- Once in DNS settings, use your controls and select “Manual”. Your DNS settings will probably be automatic at this point but we will try setting them with a manual address.
- Change the Primary DNS address to “8.8.8” and click Enter to proceed to add the secondary DNS address.
- Set the Secondary DNS address to “8.4.4”. Press Enter to save your changes.
- Now you will be back to the Wireless Settings. Press “B” to save your changes.
- Now your Xbox console will automatically try connecting to the internet and prompt you if the connection is successful. You are now connected to the internet without any problems.
Solution 3: Resetting your Router to Default Settings
It can be possible that your internet router may be saved in a wrong configuration. Or any recent settings may have caused it not to work properly. Of course, you should try to restart the router first and check, but, if that doesn’t work, we can try resetting the router (hard-reset) manually and see if it improves our situation.
Note: It is worth noting that after you manually reset your router, your router won’t have any SSID (password) and the name of your WiFi will be set to default (something like TPlink121). Furthermore, any internet settings that your internet provider have set on it will be removed. Do not perform this method unless you know those settings or your router works as a plug and play. It can be a real pain to call up the provider and ask them to guide how to make the internet working again so always keep this factor in mind. All the connected devices will be disconnected and you will have to re-connect all the devices one by one again.
- Pick up your router and turn it back so all the ports are in front of you.
- Look for any button named “reset” on its back. Most routers don’t have buttons so you don’t accidentally reset it to factory defaults, instead, you have to use something thin like a pin to press inwards towards the hole which says “reset”.
- Reset your router and check if the Xbox console is able to connect to the internet successfully.
There is also an option to reset your router settings through the web page using your default gateway IP address. You can use this method if you are unable to reset your router manually. Once again, the note written above applies to this solution too so it’s best to keep all of those things in mind.
- Open your web browser and type in the IP address of the router (if you don’t know this, it will most probably be written on the back of your router or in its box/manual). It will look something like 192.168.1.1
- Press enter. Now the router will ask you for the username and password before it allows you access. The default ones are admin/admin. If this isn’t working and you don’t remember the credentials, you can always contact your internet provider and ask them.
- Click on the Tools tab on the top and the System Commands on the left.
- Here you will be seeing a button named Restore Default Settings. Click it. You will be disconnected with your router and it will resort back to factory settings.
Note: Do note that the menu configuration may be different for each router. You can easily type in your model number in Google and see how to reset the router (if you are unable to reach the factory reset button yourself).
- After connecting back to the internet try connecting Xbox to the internet again.
Solution 4: Using a Wired Connection
If you are unable to connect to the internet using all the above methods, you can try using a wired connection to the Xbox instead. There were many reports from various users that when they couldn’t connect using the wireless network, they plugged in a wired connection and the Xbox was able to successfully connect without any further problems. Make sure that you insert the wire into the correct slot and you insert it fully. Make sure it is also connected properly on the other end. Restart your Xbox after making