Discord is quite a useful VoIP Client for gaming as it allows you to use the voice-chat functionality for free without much hassle. This program is quite popular among the gaming community as it allows unlimited access to its functionality but the program sometimes shows its imperfections.
- Antivirus Conflict – It’s also possible that your anti-virus isn’t letting discord read the module’s data properly causing it to fail to load some scripts, this can cause some issues when opening Discord. It might doesn’t load properly.
In this article, we will try our best to make sure that your problem gets resolved regardless of the reason. You can start following the methods below.
1. Uninstall the BetterDiscord (if applicable)
As this issue arises when you are trying to run some custom scripts using BetterDiscord, the first thing we are going to recommend you, is to uninstall the BetterDiscord as it might be the root cause of this issue. Also, Discord official support will not provide you any assistance whatsoever because using the BetterDiscord is a violation of their Term of Services. To uninstall BetterDiscord, follow these steps:-
- First of all, you will have to Download the Setup of BetterDiscord from their Official Website.
- Once it’s downloaded, open it, accept the License Agreement and then click “Uninstall BetterDiscord”.
- Now Select your Discord installation and simply click “Uninstall”.
2. Re-install the Discord Properly
- We are going to start off by uninstalling the Discord from Windows Uninstaller.
- Press and hold the Windows key and press the R key to open Run.
- In the Run program, Type “appwiz.cpl” and press enter.
- Now find and uninstall Discord from the List of these Programs.
- After Uninstalling the Discord Restart your computer.
- Now you will have to uninstall two folders on your computer to completely remove Discord.
- Press and hold the Windows key then press the R key to open Run again. Now type and press enter:-
- Delete the folder named “Discord”, if you can’t find it you can skip this step.
- Now open run again and type:-
- Find and Delete the Discord folder from this folder as well. If you can find it skip this step.
- Now, we will boot our computer into safe mode with Networking. Follow these steps:-
- Click on the Start Menu icon and hold the right shift button on your Keyboard then click the “Restart” button.
- Now, wait for the Windows recovery window to show up. Once it shows up press “Troubleshoot”.
- Now click “Advanced Options”.
- Now click on “Startup Settings”.
- Now Once you are in Startup Settings click “Restart”.
- Now once your Computer restarts you should see a blue screen with multiple options.
- Select “Safe mode with networking” by using the “F5” key.
- Once you are in the safe mode simply open your Browser and Download the latest version of Discord.
- Install the Discord Client and check to see if the issue persists.
- Once the Discord Client is Installed you can restart your computer to normal mode.
3. Whitelist Discord Files in Your Antivirus
If you are getting this issue while Installing Discord. Some users experienced a situation where their antivirus (Avast in most cases) accidentally quarantined some of the installer files needed for the update or for the installation to finish, thinking it was a potentially dangerous file.
You will have to locate the file and whitelist it in order for the installation process to continue. Follow the instructions below in order to do this with your Avast antivirus.
- If Avast is already open, you can locate it at your taskbar, right-click on it and select open. If Avast does not load on startup, you can always start it manually by locating it in Start.
- Proceed by selecting Scan >> Scan for Viruses >> Quarantine (Virus Chest). The quarantine button is located somewhere at the bottom of the page.
- When you open the quarantine you should notice some Discord-related files. Restore these files and click “Add to Exclusions”. If some of these files have already been generated by the installer, click Overwrite to replace these files and launch the installation again.
In order to prevent this confusion from happening again with a different file, you will need to set up the installer and the tool itself as an exception in the Avast antivirus, depending on whether the error occurred during the installing phase or after it has already been installed.
- Open your Avast antivirus in any of the ways we mentioned earlier. After that, navigate to Settings >> Exclusions. This is where users are free to put files that should not be looked after and which should not be scanned or registered as a threat.
- Add the installation folder of Discord in order to exclude it from scanning. If the error occurs when installing the tool, navigate to the location where the installer is located and choose it.
- After that, close your Avast window and try running or installing Discord again and check to see if the error is gone.