Whenever you download a program, be sure to check its authenticity before installing it on your PC. This is because hackers always tend to attack you by finding different ways that are uncommon. Same is the case with Error 268D3 that appears inside a popup window on your browser. It shows with a long message i.e. Your computer has alerted us that it has been infected with a virus and spyware, inviting you to call on a given number for online support. This popup window is displayed in such a way that you get distracted without knowing the fact that it is all fake.
Oveview of Error 268D3 or 268D3 XC00037?
Error 268D3 is all fake. It’s a kind of browser hijacker that doesn’t harm your computer unless you let it do. In a majority of cases, it generates ads based on your preferences collected by itself. When you click over a particular ad, you are prompted to download a free-ware program that can definitely harm your computer if you download and install it on your PC.
As it also displays a contact number inside the popup that is designed to make it seamless as it is an actual warning by microsoft, you may want to call the number for their support. When you would call them, instead of solving your problem, they would offer you to buy fake softwares. In worst case scenarios, a fake MS technician would ask you to access your computer in order to gather your most secret info for bad purposes.
Solutions to Fix Error 268D3 or 268D3 XC00037?
To solve this problem, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
Step # 1:
In most cases, this error comes up when you have downloaded and installed malicious programs on your computer. So, in this case, you have to clean any of the unwanted programs and their registry entries. To do so, you need to download trusted utility software called Malwarebytes AwdCleaner that scans for adwares and other malicious programs causing the problem.
- After you have downloaded the AdwCleaner, double click on the icon and run it as administrator when asked.
- Click on Scan button to let it find malicious softwares and adwares on your computer.
- When scanning process is finished, it will display a bunch of files that were found harmful during the process. Click on Clean button and Reboot your PC after it is done.
Step # 2:
After cleaning your PC with Malwarebytes AwdCleaner, you need to scan your PC again with your own security software (antivirus program) for any undetected malwares/ viruses affecting it. You can also use HitmanPro which is designed to remove adwares/ ransomwares from an infected PC. Download the aforementioned software based on your version of Windows.
- Double click to open the program after it is downloaded and click Next to let it scan for the embedded adwares/ bots on your PC.
- After the scanning process completes, click Next again to delete the suspicious files or programs.
Step # 3:
As it is a browser hijacker, you need to reset your default browser. To do so, follow the steps below.
- If you are using Google Chrome, go to Menu icon located at the top right and click Settings. Scroll to the bottom and click Reset settings
- When using Firefox, open the Menu, Help menu button with a question mark and click Troubleshooting Information. Inside this window, click on Refresh Firefox.
- To reset Microsoft Edge, follow our detailed guide i.e. Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
Step # 4:
At the end, you need to delete temporary files present on your PC.
- Type Disk Cleanup inside Cortana and left click on the program to open it.
- Select the drive which you want to delete the temporary files and hit OK. It will start scanning for the files and display a list of files to be deleted. Click on OK button to delete the selected files. Do the same for all of the other drives and restart your PC afterwards.