There is always a hole inside internet letting problems to enter. While surfing over internet, you might have faced a number of issues. These issues usually occur in the form of errors. Some errors are automatically resolved by the time while others seem to stay. One of these errors that seem to occur most of the time is ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. It is displayed along with a scary message that This webpage is not available.
While coming across this error, you don’t get it affecting all the websites you surf at that time. It happens to only a few websites that irritates you as well. But, you don’t need to worry about that as there are a number of fixes that can be performed to get rid of this error.
Why am i getting the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error
Some users find it easy to block a website using the hosts file located inside Windows directory. This is not a recommended way of blocking websites as it can also block other website along with. Some other un-trusted third party softwares can also modify you hosts file blocking a number of websites you access on daily basis.
Another reason might be related to your internet settings (LAN) which can be modified as well. So, in guide, you will find all the possible fixes to handle this issue.
Steps to Fix the Error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error
Based on the reasons I mentioned above, there are numerous solutions which can be used to solve this error. Please stay tuned to this guide.
1. Modifying the Windows “hosts” File:
Windows hosts file can be the main culprit behind this error. So, editing this file can lift the dark clouds off your head. Follow the steps mentioned below carefully.
1. Navigate to the Windows hosts file using the hierarchy structure C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Inside the etc folder, you will see a number of files including the hosts Make it sure that you don’t touch any other file.
2. Now, you would need to edit the hosts file. For that purpose, copy the hosts file by pressing Ctrl + C on the keyboard and paste the file on the Desktop by pressing Ctrl + V. Open the hosts file you pasted on the Desktop using the Notepad
Note: Be careful while doing the whole steps.
3. Inside the hosts file, scroll down towards the bottom and delete every IP address and website below the last hash (#) These would be those websites which are blocked.
Caution: Be pretty carefully at this step and delete only the IP’s or websites URL’s after the # sign. Don’t delete anything else.
4. After you have deleted the IP’s and Website URL’s, copy this hosts file from the desktop and paste it inside the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc Make sure that you do have administrator right. It would ask you to replace the hosts file. Replace the file and close the Explorer. Surf the websites again and see if it works.
2. Checking the LAN Settings
If the above method doesn’t work in your case and you still have ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error, then move to this method.
1. Go to Control Panel > Internet Options or you can use search facility inside Windows 8 and Windows 10. When you have opened Internet Options, click on the Connections tab located at the top. Click on LAN settings button afterwards.
2. Inside LAN Settings, uncheck everything and click on OK button to apply the settings. Check for the issue. It should have resolved.
3. Flushing and Renewing DNS and IP
If any of the above mentioned methods doesn’t help you, then you might need to reset the DNS caches and renewing the IP address.
1. Open Command Prompt (Admin) by right clicking on the Start menu icon and selecting it from the list.
2. Inside the command prompt, type the following lines of code and hit Enter key after typing each line.
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew