A white screen crash error has become the most common issue among Elden Ring players. However, Still, it is not confirmed, why this issue occurs but we have come up with some potential solutions that may help to fix the white screen crash. According to several users, the issue starts arriving after the patch version 1.02.1. So for that reason, we are expecting that the issue may fix after the next update. If the issue occurs due to some problem coming from your computer, try following the workarounds to resolve this issue. While waiting for the next patch, we recommend trying the steps below:-
Before proceeding to the solutions, we want you to take a look into some common contributors and factors that may include causing this issue.
- GPU Overclocking- GPU overclocking can be one of the main reasons as it may cause issues if you set overclock settings incorrectly. Therefore, we advise you to revert the overclock settings.
- Corrupted Graphics Driver- Usually, a corrupted and outdated Graphics driver causes game crashes because the driver is very important for the device to run at its full potential.
- Outdated Windows- Your Windows may not be compatible with the latest version of Elden Ring as up-to-date games and applications require the latest Windows version to run smoothly.
- Turned On Third-party Antivirus– The interference from third-party software also prevents the applications and games from running properly. If you use third-party antivirus software, you may encounter a white screen crash error.
- Corrupted Epic Games launcher- Another reason why you are facing a crashing issue is too corrupted or defective Epic Games launcher. According to the affected users, reinstalling the Epic Games fixes the error. Therefore, we have included this cause as a culprit.
1. Replace DLL Files
Another effective solution on the list is replacing the actual DLL files with the game files. DLL files are the DirectX files, which is an application of programming interface (API) for rendering or creating Graphics interface in games applications. Elden Ring includes DirectX for its Graphics components. However, there is a good possibility that directX files get corrupted. This is why, whenever you launch the game, you encounter a white screen crash.
- To replace the DLL files, open Steam and go to Library
- Right-click on the Elden Ring, hover the mouse on Manage and click Browse Local Files
- Find and remove D3D12.dll and D3D12Core.dll
- Now navigate to the following path
- Copy the files name D3D12.dll and D3D12Core.dll
- Once you copied them, go to the Elden Ring directory
- Paste the above two files and rename D3D12.dll to D3D12_original.dll
- Once done, download 01_release_binaries_debug.zip from Github and extract it
- Once you extracted the folder navigate into it and copy all the files
- Now go to the Elden Ring directory and paste them into it
- Once done, launch the game and see if it fixes the crashing issue.
2. Disable CPU, GPU, or Ram Overclocking
If you have recently implemented any overclock settings on your Graphics Card, then we recommend you reset the overclock settings via MSI Afterburner. We know very well that overclock settings increase the performance of the Graphics Card but it may cause issues if you set the overclock settings incorrectly. To avoid this, either uninstall overclock application or reset overclock settings.
Here is a full guide on Overclocking GPU.
- To revert overclock settings, open MSI Afterburner or your overclock settings
- Click on the Reset icon to reset overclock settings.
3. Clear Temporary Files
Temporary files such as DirectX cache, and rejected files are some of the data that Windows stores in a temporary folder after performing various tasks. Sometimes, temporary files get corrupted due to you may encounter crashing problems. Therefore, deleting the cache files may aid in fixing this issue. This solution has worked for most players. In case, you are unable to delete temporary files, you can clear them from Disk Cleanup. Follow the steps to clear temporary files:-
- Open Run Program by pressing Win + R simultaneously
- Type %temp% and click OK to navigate into it
- Press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all file
- Press the Delete key on the keyboard or right-click on the files then click Delete
- You will be asked for administrator permissions, click Continue
- Once you removed all the files, launch the game and check if Elden Ring While Screen error still appears.
4. Add Elden Ring to Your Graphics Settings
If the issue is still there, try adding the Elden Ring to your Graphics 3D Manage Settings. When you add a particular game or application in the 3D Manage Setting that means, you are enabling the application to use all run time libraries such as D3D and OpenGL.
- To add Elden to 3D Manage Settings, right-click on your desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel
- Select Manage 3D Settings from the left pane
- Click Program Settings then click on Add
- Choose Elden Ring and click Add Selected Program
- If you can’t find Elden Ring, click Browse and navigate to the Elden Ring location then select eldenring.exe file. Once done, click Apply then launch the game and see if it fixes the crashing issue.
4.1 For Laptop Users with Dual Graphics Card
- Go to Settings by pressing Win + I
- Navigate to System and scroll down to the bottom
- Click Graphics Settings
- Click Browse and navigate to the Elden Ring location
- Select eldenring.exe and click Add
- Now select Elden Ring and click Options
- Select High Performace then click Save
- Once done, launch the game and see if the issue is fixed.
5. Use Launch Options
Launch options are the best way to change internal game settings. When the games and applications do not launch then steam launch options play a big role to resolve a wide range of issues. It is the best option to troubleshoot issues regarding launching, freezing, and crashing.
- To use launch options, go to Steam and click Library from the top
- Right-click on Elden Ring, and go to Properties
- Add-d3d11, -dx11, and -dx12 one by one and see if it fixes the crashing issue.
6. Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
Another solution on the list is to disable full-screen optimization. Full-screen optimization allows the applications and games to run with better performance. However, in most cases, it does not work. Disabling the full-screen optimization may help fix this issue.
- To disable full-screen optimization, open Steam and go to the Library
- Right-click on your game and click Properties
- Go to Local Files and click Browse
- Right-click on Elden Ring.exe and click Properties
- Click on the Compatibility tab from the top and tick the option Disable Full-Screen Optimization
- Click OK then click Apply
- Once it’s done, check if the game still crashing.
7. Verify Integrity of Game Files
A crashing issue can either occur when there is corrupted data in the game files. For that reason, using a verify integrity of game files may fix this issue as it can replace the damaged files.
- To verify the game files, launch Steam and navigate to Library from top
- Right-click on Elden Ring, and select Properties
- Click Local Files from the left pane, then click Verify Integrity Of Game Files
- Wait for the verification process to complete, then launch the game and see if it fixes the crashing issue.
8. Reinstall Graphics Driver
A corrupted Graphics Driver could also cause a white screen crash error because the driver tells the computer how to communicate with the computer system. If the drivers are corrupted, you may encounter this error message. Either try reinstalling or updating the driver.
8.1 Uninstall Graphics Driver
For the uninstallation process, we recommend DDU, an application to uninstall the device drivers entirely from Windows.
- To uninstall the graphics driver, Download Display Driver Uninstaller
- Wait for the downloading to complete. Now, you have to start Windows in Sade Mode as it is recommended by DDU for clean uninstallation
- To do that, click the Start Menu > Power Button, then hold Shift and click Restart. This will take you to the Startup screen
- Once you are there, click Troubleshoot>Advanced option>Startup Settings
- Click Restart from the bottom right
- And your computer will boot into Safe Mode. Now go to your Downloads folder
- Right-click on the DDU ZIP folder and select Extract to DDU
- Once the folder is extracted, navigate into it and double-click on Display Driver Uninstaller
- Click Extract then navigate to the extracted folder
- Run Display Driver Uninstaller
- Choose your Device Type and its respective vendor
- Click Clean and Restart
8.2 Install Graphics Driver
- After uninstalling Graphics Driver, visit the Graphics Card official manufacturer’s website
- Go to the Driver section and choose your Graphics card
- You may be asked for the operating system, select your current OS
- Click Download and wait till the download has been completed
- Once done, install the Graphics Driver by following the on-screen instruction.
9. Update Windows
If your Windows is outdated, you will encounter many errors while playing or using applications. The reason behind this is, that updated applications and games are designed for the latest Windows OS as Microsoft improves Windows security in every cumulative update.
- To update Windows, launch the Settings by pressing Win + I simultaneously
- Go to Update & Security
- Click Check For Updates and if there is any pending update available download it
- Once done, restart your computer for the changes to take effect
- After that, launch the game and check if it fixes the white screen crashing issue.
10. Allow Elden Ring to Your Antivirus
If the issue persists, then it may be due to interference from the third-party antivirus or even Windows defender. To avoid this, either try disabling the Windows defender or allow the Elden to your antivirus.
10.1 Disable Windows Defender
- First, we will disable the Windows Defender or the third-party antivirus. For that, type Settings from the Start Menu
- Go to Update & Security
- Click Windows Security from the left pane
- Click Virus & Threat Protection
- Click Manage Settings and turn off Real-Time Protection
- Once done, launch Elden Ring and check if it still crashes. if the issue persists, add Elden Ring to the execution
10.2 Add Elden Ring to the Exclusions
Execution is a Windows Security feature that tells the computer to allow the files even if they are malicious or contain viruses. Follow the below steps:-
- Click Start Menu and type Settings
- Open Settings and navigate to the Update & Security
- Click Windows Security then click Virus & Threat Protection
- Click Manage Settings and scroll down to the bottom
- Click on Add or Remove Exclusions
- Click Yes when asked for administrator privileges
- Click on Add An Exclusion, select Folder from the Dropdown Menu
- Navigate to the Elden Ring directory and select the Elden Ring folder
- Once you added, launch the Elden Ring and see if the issue is resolved.
10.3 Allow Elden Ring through Windows Firewall
If adding Elden Ring to the execution does not fix White Screen Crashing issue, allow Elden Ring to the firewall. Allowing applications through a firewall helps open the application or game ports that are blocked. below are the steps:-
- Open Run Program. For that press Win + R on the keyboard
- Type Control Panel and hit Enter
- Go to the Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall
- Click Allow An App or Feature through Windows Defender Firewall from the left sidebar
- Click Change Settings then click Allow Another App
- Click Browse to select the eldenring.exe file
- Click Open then click Add
- Once done, tick the boxes under Private and Public
- Click OK to save the changes
- After adding Elden Ring to the firewall, launch the Elden Ring and check if the issue is fixed.
11. Reinstall Elden Ring
If all else fails to fix the white screen crash error, the last option is to try to reinstall the Elden Ring. If the game files are corrupted and cannot be repaired then reinstalling the Elden Ring is the final solution.