The “DS4 could not open Exclusively” error commonly appears after installing the latest Windows update or due to a firewall conflict. Here in this article, we have listed the troubleshooting solutions that worked for several affected users. Follow the solutions listed and fix the error easily.
1. Update Drivers
The following issue with DS4Windows could occur if your device uses outdated Bluetooth drivers. Therefore, it is advised that you upgrade your computer’s Bluetooth drivers.
Follow the steps to update the drivers:
- Press the Win + X keys together and Select “Device Manager.”
- Once Device Manager is opened, expand the ‘Bluetooth’ section.
- Then select Update Driver from the context menu by performing a right-click on the driver.
- And click on Search automatically for updated drivers.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Then restart your computer to see if the problem has been fixed.
2. Change the Settings of Your Controller Through Registry Editor
You can try changing the properties of your controller and check if it helps you to solve the issue. To change the settings of your controller through the registry editor, follow the steps given:
- Click the Search icon in the taskbar and search “Control Panel”.
- Once it’s found, open the Control Panel.
- Now inside the control panel, navigate to Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers
- Then right-click on the name of your controller and then click on the properties option.
- Now go to the Hardware tab, and in the Device Functions, choose the HID Complaint Game Controller option and then click on the properties option.
- Then click on the Details tab and then click on the drop-down menu and then click on the Hardware IDs option.
- Now close the window after pasting the first three text strings into a notepad file.
- Then press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box, type regedit in the input box, and press OK.
- Now follow the path mentioned below:
- Then right-click on the Affected Devices option and click on the Modify option.
- Now paste the strings in the value box you copied in notepad before and press OK.
- Now restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved or not.
3. Allow the Controller’s Connection Through Firewall
The Windows security systems can also cause issues as they can block the controller’s connection considering it a threat. So it is recommended to allow the controller’s connection through the firewall and check if it helps you to solve the issue. To do so, follow the steps given:
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Now click on the Privacy & Security option and click on the Windows Security option available on the left side.
- Then click on the Open Windows Security option and the Firewall and network protection option.
- Now click on the Allow an app or service through the firewall option, select DS4Windows from the list, and add it to the exception.
- Then save all the changes, restart your device, and check if the issue is resolved.
4. Uninstall Windows Updates
If you recently updated your device and are experiencing this problem, we advise you to remove the most recent Windows update and see if that resolves the problem. Follow the steps below to uninstall the most current Windows update:
- To access the Windows settings, press Windows + I. Then, click on the Windows Update tab.
- Click on the Update history option and click to open the Uninstall updates window
- After that, use the uninstall option from the context menu when you right-click on the update you wish to remove.
Verify whether the problem has been solved after the process is finished.
5. Update DS4Windows
The user may be unable to access the DS4Windows app because of a bug. We can update DS4Windows to check whether a new version resolves the problem.
- Launch the File Manager from the taskbar and go to the installation folder of DS4.
- Now in the DS4 installation folder, search for the DS4Updater tool and launch it.
- Then the program will search for updates and install them.
- Restart your computer and check whether the Ds4windows Could Not Open Exclusively error is resolved.
6. Clean Boot your System
These kinds of problems can be brought on by third-party software interfering with Windows functionality and preventing the app from functioning properly. Therefore, performing a clean boot is advised. Follow these instructions to finish the clean boot of your Windows:
- To launch Recovery mode, hold down the Shift key and then click the restart button.
- Select the Advanced option after selecting the Troubleshoot option.
- Next, select the Startup Settings option and then select Restart.
- To start your computer in safe mode, click F4.
- When the Run dialogue box appears, hit Windows + R to bring it up, then type msconfig into it and press Enter.
- Next, select the Services tab, check the box next to “Hide all Microsoft services,” and then select “Disable all.”
- Restart your computer after that.
So, these are the fixes that you need to try to get past the Ds4windows Could Not Open Exclusively error on the Windows system. If the fixes listed won’t work for you, uninstall the DS4 app and perform a fresh reinstall on your Windows system. It is estimated now the error is resolved and won’t appear.