Typing with keyboards can be quite difficult when the document or email is lengthy. Whereas using voice to type text can be easier and less exhausting. You can convert your voice into text in Windows by using dictation feature, online tools, and third-party applications. It is much easier nowadays than it used to be. In this article, we will show you methods through which you can convert the voice into text easily.
1. Using the Windows Dictation Tool
Dictation was introduced in the Windows 10 operating system. It uses Speech Recognition to convert the voice to text. You can use the commands and punctuations by saying the correct command. We have also included steps for enabling and using the Speech Recognition method. Follow the below steps and check it out:
- Hold the Windows key and press I to open the Settings app. Now click on the Privacy settings in the list of settings.
- Click on the Speech option in the left pane. Then, click on the toggle option for Online Speech Recognition to turn it ON.
- Now you can open the Dictation tool by pressing the Windows + H keys together. The tool will ask you to select a text field to start dictation.
- Open a Microsoft Word document or any other text editor. Click on the Microphone icon on the Dictation bar.
- Now speak through the microphone and your voice will be converted to text in the text editor.
However, if you want to use the old Speech Recognition method for dictation, then that will be a bit different. Follow the below steps to enable and use Speech Recognition:
- Search for Control Panel through Windows search feature and open it.
- Click on the Speech Recognition option in the list.
Note: Make sure the View by option is selected as small icons or large icons.
- After that, click on the Start Speech Recognition option. It will open another window.
- Now select the Microphone that you are using and click the Next button.
- Continue with the process by clicking the Next button. You will get the volume section where you need to read the given sentence and then click the Next button.
- In the remaining process, you can choose, the manual or automatic start, and the Startup option.
- Once you are done with everything, now you can use Speech Recognition and start giving voice commands.
2. Using the Online Speech to Text
There are many sites that provide the voice-to-text feature online. Nowadays, most of the tools are present online to get quick access without wasting any time and space. In this method, we are using a simple Dictation site to demonstrate. You can also use Google Docs or Microsoft Word online to get the built-in dictate function in it. They are both free and managed by companies that you already know.
- Open your browser and go to the Dictation site. On the right side select the language that you want to use and then click the Microphone icon to start the listening.
Note: You must allow the microphone in your browser to make it work.
- Start speaking through your microphone and it will convert voice into text. You can also click on the Speech Recognition command option to see the command for changing paragraphs, adding punctuation marks, or stopping/starting the dictation.
- Once you are done, you can edit the text with the provided text formatting tools. You can also save it as a text file or share it.
3. Using a Third-Party Voice to Text Application
There are several different applications available for speech-to-text on your system. We are using LilySpeech in this method to demonstrate the idea about using third-party applications. It is one of the free Speech-to-Text applications. One of the famous and most known Voice-to-Text applications is Dragon NaturallySpeaking which is a paid application. You can use any other application that works best for you.
- Open your browser and go to the LilySpeech site. Click on the download button to download the application.
- Install the program by following the provided installation instructions.
- Once installed, open the application and choose the settings according to your needs. Now you can click on the message icon on the screen or simply press Ctrl + D to start the dictation.
- This will only work if you are connected to the Internet. You can also choose other languages and different dictation modes it provides.